main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

World Cup Football 2002

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Debo, May 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Irish_Kidy

Irish_Kidy Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2002
    IRELAND!!!!

Amhán Na bhFiann
    Sinne Fianna Fáil,
    Atá Fá gheall ag Éirinn,
    Buidhean dár sluagh tar rúinn do ráinig chughainn:
    Fámhoídh bheírh saor,
    Sean-tír ár sinnsear feasta
    Ní fágfar fá'n tíorán ná fa'n tráil;
    Anocht a theigeamh sa bhearna baoghail,
    Le gean ar Gaedhí chun báis nó saoghail,
    Le gunna sgréach: Fá lamhach na piléar.
    Seo Libh canaidh amhrán na bhFiann.

The Irish National Anthem :cool:

2. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    up.

just 3 more days...

3. DarthBurns

DarthBurns Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    My predictions:

31 May 20:30 France : Senegal 3-0

01 Jun 15:30 Republic of Ireland : Cameroon 0-1

01 Jun 18:00 Uruguay : Denmark 1-1

01 Jun 20:30 Germany : Saudi Arabia 3-0

02 Jun 14:30 Argentina : Nigeria 2-0

4. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    I've just picked out Nigeria in the sweepstake!

Do I support my beloved England or do I go for the 40 quid and cheer on the Super Eagles?

Decisions decisions....... ;)

PS - I'm sure it's been mentioned but where abouts in the term FIFA does the word "soccer" fit? I see no S.... :D

VINDALOO! VINDALOO! VINDALOO VINDALOO NA NA!!!!

5. Edhel

Edhel Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2002
    31 May 20:30 France : Senegal 3-0
    01 Jun 15:30 Republic of Ireland : Cameroon 2-1
    01 Jun 18:00 Uruguay : Denmark 0-0
    01 Jun 20:30 Germany : Saudi Arabia 4-0
    02 Jun 14:30 Argentina : Nigeria 2-0

There's my predictions.

I'm an England fan, by the way. But I am not confident, especially without Steven Gerrard.

6. Double_Sting

Double_Sting Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2001
    I watched the US-Netherlands game because I thought it would provide a good indication of how good the US team is - finally playing against a world powerhouse.

They lost 2-0 and I thought, maybe they'll win a couple of games this year nad maybe if they get extremely lucky make it to the round of 16.

Then I found out the Netherlands team they played against was only half-strength.

Yeah, the US still sucks in soccer. They're not going anywhere.

I'm for Italy as always. Maybe they won't choke on penalty kicks again, but ptobably they will - just like England always does.

7. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    I'm for Italy as always. Maybe they won't choke on penalty kicks again, but ptobably they will - just like England always does.

I know the feeling. Remember Holland in '98 against Brazil? They were awesome (Holland), at top level, and then they missed two penalties. And home they went. It happened again in '00 (European Championship).

8. SCOTSSITHLORD

SCOTSSITHLORD Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2002
    What's this UK Sullustian on about? Speaking as a scot I'll grudgingly confess to having an inferiority complex, well at football we are inferior, there's no two ways about it. It's the friendly rivalry I'm not so sure about. I've plenty of relatives south of the border, and I've been on holiday to England countless times, but like the vast majority of scots I sincerely hope England don't win a game, never mind about winning the cup itself. I think a better parallel than Belgium/Netherlands would be Germany/Netherlands.
    I'm delighted that the FAI and the irish squad have made the right decision. What Keane said to McCarthy was outrageous, not to mention downright stupid. Attacking the manager in a foul mouthed rant for being english is pretty dumb when you consider how many anglos there are in the squad. No one player should be bigger than the team and I hope the Republic put up a good show in his absence to prove they don't need a big wean like Keane on board.

9. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    I think a better parallel than Belgium/Netherlands would be Germany/Netherlands.

You bet. There's been rivalry with Germany ever since the war (!). In '74 Germany beat Holland in the World Cup final with 2-1 (causing a major trauma); in '88 Holland got Germany 2-1 (and won the cup); in '90 Germany struck back: 2-1 (and won the cup).

Now, we're not qualified, and they are. They even recorded a song about it.

10. The_Faulty_Bagnose

The_Faulty_Bagnose Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2001
  11. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Yeah.

12. Iwishiwasajedi

Iwishiwasajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    What really sucks is that all the games are televised at three in the morning. ESPN should have more reshowings then they will have. Currently their only gonna reshow the US games and some other important games.

13. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    why would you wanna watch the US games, if theres a strong chance youll lose them? id be embarassed

my predictions and thoughts:

31 May 20:30 France : Senegal 4-0
    France to kill senegal
    01 Jun 15:30 Republic of Ireland : Cameroon 1-2
    exciting and close match
    01 Jun 18:00 Uruguay : Denmark 1-1
    boring
    01 Jun 20:30 Germany : Saudi Arabia 2-0
    Germany are useless and old (1-5 against England!) ans the Saudis are the dark horses but will lose
    02 Jun 14:30 Argentina : Nigeria 3-1
    Kanu to score

I was annoyed at Holland not being in it, because their my favourite team. I mean why do we have crappy Senegal and not the Dutch

14. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Yeah, you said it. Senegal. Hmph.

15. Queen_Morci

Queen_Morci Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2000
    Let's hope that this time around, Spain is able to make a good championship.. It's very embarrasing having the "best football league" (la liga de las estrellas), and not being able to even get to the semifinals....

At least, the Real Madrid won the Champions... (what about french, english italian or belgium teams? :p)

So, GO SPAIN GO!!!

Campeones, campeones oe, oe oe.......

Besitos

16. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    "What's this UK Sullustian on about? Speaking as a scot I'll grudgingly confess to having an inferiority complex, well at football we are inferior, there's no two ways about it. It's the friendly rivalry I'm not so sure about. I've plenty of relatives south of the border, and I've been on holiday to England countless times, but like the vast majority of scots I sincerely hope England don't win a game, never mind about winning the cup itself. I think a better parallel than Belgium/Netherlands would be Germany/Netherlands. "

Nope, I think the point I made stands, but I should clarify..

The ENGLISH have a friendly rivalry with the Scots. They, however, are jealous of us and show their distaste accordingly.

Much like England/Germany, It eats US up inside but they don't give a monkeys...

UKS

17. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    im sick of hearing about scotish football, all it has is Celtic and Rangers....boring...

18. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Tomorrow's the day, folks. You can still try and predict the first five matches.

19. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    Ohmygodwaaaaaaa, i feel like a teenage girl at a Nsync concerts. screw the opening ceromany, and Start MATCH!!!!!

20. Jorus_Kando

Jorus_Kando Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    Does anyone know who the two female singers are?? They're yummy :D

21. Lord_Coras

Lord_Coras Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
    I don't like how you don't think Denmark can win!

22. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    I predict Senegal will b beating France 1-0 at half time.

*runs*

23. Iwishiwasajedi

Iwishiwasajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    France is a good comeback team, but I would like to see senagal win ;)

24. Jorus_Kando

Jorus_Kando Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    Trezweguet just missed the equalizer, thank Jebus :D

Is it wrong that I'm feeling enormous amounts of perverse joy at France's possible humiliation? :D

25. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    wow! well done senegal!!!

everyone give their opinions (out of 10):

Opening Ceromany: 6/10 ok but not spectacular

Shock Factor: 10/10 speaks for itself
    Match Entertainment: 4/10 ball it the wood work a few times, but thats as good as it got
    Match Atmosphere: 2/10 the crowd was totally dead, nothing like highbury or anfield.Picked up at the end (barely)

Man of the Match: Diop he produced the biggest shocks since Ireland beat Italy in 94, or Cameroon beat Argentina back in 90
    Team of the Match: Senegal ofcourse

I hope the other matches have better atmposphere, and really proves bigger stadiums dosnt mean a hotter crowd (ahem Man Utd). Argentina could be favourites now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.