main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST World events and Star Wars Episode VII...

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Emphram, Mar 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emphram

Emphram Jedi Padawan

Jan 15, 2014

I think I misinterpreted you, I thought you were trying to say that STID was trying to criticize drone warfare, which isn't quite the same as firing long range missiles at an enemy, a much older practice that has been reduced in modern times. Khan destroyed a secret military base of Starfleet, Bin Laden destroyed a world symbol of trade and unity. Khan had personal motives and wasn't leading an organization, Bin Laden was politically and religiously motivated. Admiral Marcus was trying to start a war with the Klingon Empire before the Klingon Empire was in a position to defeat the Federation. I'm not sure if Bush was lying or not on Iraq's alleged WMDs (I tend to lean on the lying part but I'm not entirely convinced), but Iraq appears to have been a terrible mistake, and we're still paying the price for it. Maybe some day something good will come out of the aftermath of the conflict, but probably not in our lifetimes. Are we seeing the same thing differently?

2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Sweden and Norway - considered to be two of the most democratic countries in the world (some would even say they are the two most democratic countries in the world): both monarchies.
    Oh, and anarchy is not by design anti-democratic. Quite the opposite actually, most anarchists stand for a direct democracy, unhindered by bureaucracy or (corruptable) elected middle-men.

I do agree with your point, though. Whether George Lucas is a Democrat or not has nothing to do with the Rebels fighting for democracy. One is a political party, and the other is a political system - big difference.

3. w4tkn

w4tkn Jedi Master star 1

Jan 25, 2013
    Hang on, Bin Laden blew up the towers?

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes I hope this film satirizes twerking.

StoneRiver likes this.
  5. Emphram

Emphram Jedi Padawan

Jan 15, 2014

Perhaps monarchies weren't a good example, there have been plenty examples of successful monarchies throughout history and even in modern history. Anyhow, we probably should move on with this topic.

6. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004

:oops:

No one ever said they were the same thing. All that was said was that it may be a subtle message weaved into the story.

Remember the story was written by GL.
    In the GFFA, the Republic is corrupt and failing
    In real life GL doesn't agree with Republican policy.
    In the GFFA, the Jedi are fighting for democracy.
    In real life, GL sides with the Democrats.

It in no way is direct comparison. And besides that, it was only suggested that it might be a hidden message within the tale.

And if I'm not being clear enough for you here, I hope someone else can understand what I'm saying and do me a favour, step in and word it better [face_peace]

7. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    it will probably be like the war on terror. no big armies to battle just individual skirmishes.

8. CaptainMorgan2013

CaptainMorgan2013 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    Always two there are, no more, no less. A master and an apprentice.

Which one is he?

To the OP, there are definitely real world events reflected in SW. An easy place to start is with the Chancellor being granted emergency powers after the attack on Naboo - much like Bush 43 got his emergency powers after the attacks on 9/11.

In the rising climax of ROTS(2005), Anakin says, "If you're not with me, then you're my enemy."
    In a speech to congress (9/20/2001), Bush 43 said, "Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists."

So yeah, there are definitely similarities between the GFFA and our world events.

Is it life imitating art or art imitating life? I tend to think it is the latter and that GL cherry picked what has happened in real life and incorporated that when it fit his design.

However, with the Disney regime now in power, will they do the same? Only time will tell.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  9. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I think real life will influence the styles (which were influenced by the film)

[​IMG]

10. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    A year since George Lucas almost confirmed the big 3 - Disney has done everything in it's power to divert the attention off this blunder by creating a series of world disasters that shifted our focus off EP7 ( Putin has shares in Disney ! ).......

purplerain likes this.
  11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The Boeing disappearance was a marketing ploy!

12. My young Padawan

My young Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 13, 1999
    I do not believe that Disney will allow George Lucas to politicize the new films as much as has been done in the past. Parallels to the War on Terror are most probable.

StoneRiver likes this.
  13. Emphram

Emphram Jedi Padawan

Jan 15, 2014
    You're missing the point, you're only referencing recent events with similarity. Phrase such as "if you're not with me, than you're my enemy" have been around for far longer than Bush's speech. A ruler being granted powers due to an attack has happened several times throughout history. I don't think Lucas was thinking "I want people to think about Bush when Anakin says this, or when Palpatine get's emergency powers", instead I believe his line of thought was "Palpatine needs a legitimate reason to gain power; Anakin has gone so far down the dark path that he only sees those who serve him as allies, and everyone else as enemies". My point is, it is one thing to claim that Star Wars has events similar to our real world events (and it's up to the viewers discretion to draw the parallels) and it's entirely another thing to say "George Lucas was inspired by Bush's actions and injected parallels into Star Wars".

Iron_lord and Episode Swag like this.
  14. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    I don't think Lucas drew so much from modern day events or even recent wars of this millennium. The prequels gave me an Ancient Rome vibe honestly. And the inner corruption is ultimately what made it fall apart in the end. Heck, I find the OT more comparable to revolutions, particularly the American one than WWII.

I think ultimately the fact that these movies bring up a discussion like this is what makes the politics behind the wars of SW work so well. Lucas was trying to make wars comparable to those throughout our human history. The fact that we can put them in the same conversation shows just how brilliant a job Lucas did with making the histories of these movies.

As for the ST, I think it will either be like the Cold War or when the Roman Empire was dissolved. So in other words, either it will be filled with order and fear or chaos and unpredictability.

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    purplerain likes this.
  16. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Most political issues are recurring and similar and can be applied to almost anything. Kinda like archetypes.

17. Emphram

Emphram Jedi Padawan

Jan 15, 2014

Yes I can totally see the whole Rome vibe, and in fact I'm quite sure that was a major source of inspiration along with other historical examples.

Well said.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    [​IMG]

TKT and Iron_lord like this.
  19. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    George Lucas certainly had an affinity for this, I don't think JJ does, though. So I don't think we'll see striking parallels, but I could be mistaken.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.