main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

World getting divided between Right and Left? (Now discussing non-linear 'Political Compass')

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Darth_Angelus, Mar 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarFire

StarFire Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2001
    Repost of the link for those who don't want to dig through the thread to find it:

The Political Compass

EDIT:

My new scores are:

Economic Left/Right: 2.88
    Authoritarian/Libertarian: -1.44

My old scores were:

Economic Left/Right: 2.00
    Authoritarian/Libertarian: -2.00

I see that the guy has updated the site, though, so maybe he changed the test too...

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yodashizzle, your scores seem to indicate you're a classical lefty! You have leftist views on society and economics.

There are new questions, BTW: Military action that defies international law is sometimes justified, for example.

And my test results again:

Economic Left/Right: 0.62
    Authoritarian/Libertarian: -2.31

OK, I've shifted rightwards a bit. Interesting; I thought I'd score more left this time... ?[face_plain] But hey, Kimball and I had similar scores before and we've both gone rightwards.

I disagree with the international graph; there is no way in hell that George W Bush is more right wing than Ariel Sharon!!! :eek: ;)

Also, I did the iconoclasms test; love this quote: "To occupy Iraq would instantly shatter our coalition, turning the whole Arab world against us and make a broken tyrant into a latter-day hero ... assigning young soldiers to a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning them to fight in what would be an un-winnable urban guerilla war. It could only plunge that part of the world into even greater instability." George Herbert Walker Bush, 1998 :p

Cute, eh? ;)

E_S

3. Jediflyer

Jediflyer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 5, 2001
    I moved slightly to the left.

Now:

Economic Left/Right: -2.50
    Authoritarian/Libertarian: -3.79

Previously:

Economic Left/Right: -2.62
    Authoritarian/Libertarian: -2.21

4. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    See, I don't buy that website, because this is how I came out

Economic Left/Right: 0.12
    Authoritarian/Libertarian: -0.92

HELL NO!!!!

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Ah, yeah, actually I can see that TripleB...

;)

E_S

6. Red-Seven

Red-Seven Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 21, 1999
    I think that the 'centre' on that compass is somewhere around (-1.0, -2.0). I think I posted that opinion on a previous page...

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Well wouldn't it be impossible to get a 0.0/0.0 score?

E_S

8. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Ok. Here goes trying to provide an update on the statistics.

First, I'm hurt that Darth_Overlord had the nerve to knock me out of my place as closest to the center of the graph. That just wasn't nice.

We have moved to a more central mean. The new mean is centered at (-0.55, -3.01).

In order from closest to farthest from the center of the graph, we have:
    Darth_Overlord
    Kimball_Kinnison
    TripleB
    Jansons_Funny_Twin
    Ender_Sai
    farraday
    Darth Mischievous
    StarFire
    Darth Fierce
    DeathStar1977
    Red-Seven
    yodashizzzle
    Jediflyer
    ShaneP
    AJA
    Gonk
    Obi-Wan McCartney
    Jades Fire
    Darth_Omega
    Fire_Ice_Death
    TheScarletBanner
    Jabbadabbado
    Obi Anne
    Saint_of_Killers
    GrandAdmiralPellaeon
    JediSmuggler
    Darth_Guy
    KaineDamo
    Everyone from Gonk to KaineDamo was more than 5 points away from the center, making their positions the more "extreme" by the terms I defined earlier.

However, when we sort people by their distance from the mean, we see a different listing:
    Ender_Sai
    farraday
    yodashizzzle
    Jediflyer
    Jansons_Funny_Twin
    TripleB
    Darth_Overlord
    Red-Seven
    Darth Fierce
    Kimball_Kinnison
    DeathStar1977
    Obi-Wan McCartney
    Gonk
    StarFire
    Darth_Omega
    Jabbadabbado
    Fire_Ice_Death
    Jades Fire
    Saint_of_Killers
    KaineDamo
    Obi Anne
    Darth_Guy
    GrandAdmiralPellaeon
    ShaneP
    Darth Mischievous
    AJA
    TheScarletBanner
    JediSmuggler
    In this case, everyone from ShaneP to JediSmuggler was more than 5 points away from the mean. I should also note that they were all on the right side of the graph as well.

I think that the 'centre' on that compass is somewhere around (-1.0, -2.0). I think I posted that opinion on a previous page...

I think I'm going to disagree with you on that one, RedSeven. I'll agree that the center of the graph is not the same as the 'centre', but I think that on the economic axis (Left/Right) it's fairly close to accurate. Of course, that's my perogative, since I have all the statistics. :p

I was really surprised by where yodashizzzle wound up. Considering how much we have agreed in almost every debate we've both participated in, I would have thought that he was closer to my position than to Obi-Wan McCartney's position (since we've had many disagreements on those same issues).

Kimball Kinnison

9. DeathStar1977

DeathStar1977 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2003
    KK - Thanks for compiling all of those stats.

I too am surprised where I landed.

10. Pepijn

Pepijn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 28, 2002
    I'm left, and i don't need to do a test to know that...

But i did it anyway, here's my score...
    About The Political Compass

Your political compass
    Economic Left/Right: -7.75
    Authoritarian/Libertarian: -5.33

11. yodashizzzle

yodashizzzle Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 27, 2003
    I was really surprised by where yodashizzzle wound up.

so was i, really. i think it's a good sign though that people can find common ground and maybe work together in discussions. thanks for the contributions on this thread, Kimball.

12. Nrf-Hrdr

Nrf-Hrdr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2000
    The fact that people are still blabbering on about whether they?re 'left' and 'right' kind of suggests to me that they're missing half the point of the test. On this scale, 'left' and 'right' is a purely economic thing - whether a person leans towards authoritarianism or libertarianism is an almost totally separate, and if anything more important, issue. People seem to miss the fact that, for example, it's possible to be socially liberal and right wing at the same time.

If people thought along the lines of this test, instead of using dumb, generalised 'Left/Right' labels all the time, I bet it would cut out quite a hefty chunk of the pointless bickering that clogs up so much of the discussion on this forum - dumb arguments over whether it was the left or the right who was more responsible for the major disasters of the last century, and so on. It was extremists authoritarian dictators who caused most of the misery ? their economic stance is largely by the way.

No one besides real authoritarian extremists (regardless of whether they?re economically left or right) is ever really going to support a totalitarian dictatorship, so it's a waste of time trying to link them to any given dictator just because they have loosely corresponding economic beliefs.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah, you're right. It's the whole "I H8 LIBERALS" or "I H8 CONSERVATIVES" crap that ruins so many debates.

E_S

14. TripleB

Oct 28, 2000
    the problem is that while I have my convictions, when you ask the questions they were asking, I don't answer Strong very often, and the result is that I got a lot of 'near t he center' answers, which I don't like because I am no moderate.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    heh, I wouldn't have seen you answering anything less than STRONGLY AGREE or STRONGLY DISAGREE, and whilst each page loaded you took potshot at a picture of Clinton taped to a dartboard with a Daisy BB pistol! ;) :D

E_S

16. Darth Fierce

Darth Fierce Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2000
    Hey, but Triple B voted for Clinton, correct? Perhaps he mildly disagreed with Bush Sr. and Perot??? See Triple B, you need to be stronger!

Kimball, excellent work.

DeathStar1977, "I too am surprised where I landed. " Yeah, you landed right next to me! :eek:

17. DeathStar1977

DeathStar1977 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2003
    Yeah, you landed right next to me! [face_shocked]

[face_laugh]

Yes, that was very surprising. Or perhaps we agree on more issues than we previously thought [face_shocked] [face_shocked]

It's the whole "I H8 LIBERALS" or "I H8 CONSERVATIVES" crap that ruins so many debates.

100% correct. A very close friend of mine always votes Republican. Whenever we talk Bush or Clinton, things turn ugly. Whenever we talk specific issues, things are very civil.

18. Kimball_Kinnison

Oct 28, 2001
    I thought I'd add another update. However, this time, you can look at the same graph I have.

I've created a PDF file of the spreadsheet I'm using for this. You can get a copy here. It really is a pretty amazing distribution on the graph.

Kimball Kinnison

19. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I've done it again, since the test seemed to be a bit different, and I moved a bit more to the centre.

Left/right -3.75
    aut/lib - 4.21

20. Red-Seven

Red-Seven Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 21, 1999
    retest:

Economic Left/Right: 2.50
    Authoritarian/Libertarian: -3.69

I think that's very close to previous results. Definitely different questions...and I still didn't like the way many were phrased.

21. Kimball_Kinnison

Oct 28, 2001
    I've updated the PDF I created to reflect the updated scores.

You can download it here.

Kimball Kinnison

22. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Update:

Economic Left/Right: -2.62
    Authoritarian/Libertarian: -3.28

Compared with last time:

Economic Left/Right: -3.25
    Authoritarian/Libertarian: -5.69

Sorry K_K I guess you have to change it again ;)

23. Kimball_Kinnison

Oct 28, 2001
    Sorry K_K I guess you have to change it again

Already done. :p

Updated file.

It appears that the grouping towards the lower left is starting to spread out as more people take/retake the test. It should be interesting to see how it develops over time.

Kimball Kinnison

24. Darth Fierce

Darth Fierce Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2000
    What the...?

Before:
    Economic Left/Right: 2.12
    Authoritarian/Libertarian: -2.51

After:
    Economic Left/Right: 0.12
    Authoritarian/Libertarian: -1.54

I too am moving Left? Something's amiss, methinks. Next thing they'll be telling me I should be watching Gore TV. :eek:

DeathStar1977 - I was mixed up looking at KK's charts. The one where we are right next to each other was distance from the center, not our own proximity. You're still significantly left than me (well, you were until now), so I'm sure there's still plenty for us to argue about. ;)

KK - Great work tracking this.

25. TripleB

Oct 28, 2000
    Darth Fierce said

Hey, but Triple B voted for Clinton, correct? Perhaps he mildly disagreed with Bush Sr. and Perot??? See Triple B, you need to be stronger

Unlike a lot of you 'Liberal from the moment you set foot in public school' people out there, I actively attempted to walk the middle, and during that time, from 1992 to early 2000, drifted left and right on a regular basis all the time.

I can say that I have seen both sides and yes, I did vote for Clinton twice when I was going thru liberal phases in my life. But ultimately, it strengthened my own convictions (nothing more so then the Second Amendemnt) to the point that I now believe my course on the right is set, although you never know...things could change. Just 3 years and a few months ago, I had this paranoia that I HAD to walk exactly down the middle on EVERYTHING in order to be right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.