main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC World Happiness Report - Norway first, U.S.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rylo Ken, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I was making a comment in agreement with others, and pointed out a few surprises to me. You know, commentary... not trying to write a thesis. And pasted the image so others didn't have to scroll up again to see the exact ranking. Not sure how that's confusing?

Care to enlighten us on why you think Germany/UK/Ireland are lower than the US, and why Switzerland/Netherlands/Austria/Israel are higher than the US? I didn't ask it, just made the points and left it open for others to comment on those points of interest, but you definitely seem to want to offer your insight on it so go ahead.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Well I actually don't know, I just find it a surprise esp given Ireland's tax-haven lead recovery, and Germany's prosperity.

3. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    People are still taking this list seriously?
    I mean, overall, sure, it's an indication - but this?

4. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    I still have a free guest room to anyone wanting to move to Australia. :)

5. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Ironic that people are unhappy about the World Happiness Report.

6. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015

Are you personally happy or unhappy relative to the overall Dutch rating? I'd worry that having a high happiness index would put a lot of pressure on people individually. Feeling blue? What's wrong with you? You live in one of the happiest places on earth!

7. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I've only spent one week in Norway but fully support the Report's findings

8. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    same. one week is all I needed to want to live there for the rest of my life.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It makes me very happy that Canada is lucky #7.

10. SergeyX2017

SergeyX2017 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2017
    You talking to me or SuperWatto? Me, I am very happy, thank you :)

Especially happy to live in Canada :D

11. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Which town were you in?

12. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I want people to live up to their country's happiness ratings. Norway should be close to the complete eradication of clinical depression.

I spend a week in Oslo 10 days after the 2011 massacre.

I posted this before: one of the many makeshift memorials around Oslo after the shooting, flowers fading a week later. It would have been a sad time to be there but for the overall level of enduring happiness.

[​IMG]

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  13. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Unemployed friend of mine on Facebook:

"The countless senseless and unnecessary examinations, polls etc. that get discharged daily into the channels of the media ...
    Without research jobs, unemployment in the Netherlands would undoubtedly be five percent higher. Or is it a percentage point?
    Ah, what does it matter to me.
    The low point is the annual world happiness report. What does such research actually measure, and who actually benefits from it?
    Anyway, I'm useless to researchers. I feel wonderfully unhappy, one moment a little more than the other. Thumbing my nose."

I did not reply, because I don't post negative stuff on Facebook :)

14. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    That captures exactly the additional misery of being unhappy in a happy place. Probably the ultimate expression of counter-individuality would be to commit suicide at one of the magical destinations of Walt Disney World parks and resorts.

15. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Yeah, I remember that. The popular response to that event was heartwarming. Would have been markedly different if the guy was an immigrant, though, let's not kid ourselves.

Edit:
    This post is so wonderfully you. :p

16. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I don't think the report is designed to measure the collective impact on happiness from losing a world war or cultural memory of gleeful participation in genocide which might otherwise help explain why Austria isn't higher on the list. Vienna is, after all, the most livable city on earth according to some other report.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercer_Quality_of_Living_Survey

17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    ken already has a plan to turn all of the disney parks into huge voluntary death camps. all we need to do is install the euthanasia coasters and "journey to mars" gas chambers. then, once 70-80% of the population has joyously offed themselves, happiness will finally be attainable for all that are left and not merely norwegians.

18. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

This post was just amazing.

19. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012

Obviously some NSFW language in here, so if you're a sensitive little twit, don't watch it.

20. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015

love the roller coaster idea. A roller coaster is essentially a fear of death simulator. It's hard to imagine anything more sublime than a fear of death simulator that also causes death.

21. SergeyX2017

SergeyX2017 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2017
    I think there is much to consider, when judging "happiness" of people in various countries. Political situation is important, for example. Like, say, we are comparing Russia and Japan. Russia seems to have scored higher, even though they have all kinds of issues that Japan does not, bad issues, corruption in government and police, poverty (tens of millions there live on less than $5 per day, and many pensioners and others - less than $2), all kinds of health care problems, etc. Japan has own problems too, though most are not as dire as Russia's. But, you have to keep in mind, Japan is a democratic society where the media is relatively free to criticize the government and bring issues to public attention; whereas Russia is a dictatirship, where most media is controlled directly by the state, state owned corporations like Gazprom, or oligarchs close to the aforementioned state. There is basically no real independent media. Majority of citizens still have no access to internet, and most rely on state controlled TV for news and information, instead receiving nationalistic propaganda, which glorifies the state and its dear leader
    [​IMG]

Where some people have now been driven to the threshold of insanity by Putin's personality cult, to the point that they put vessels with water to the TV for when he is on, believing he exhudes some kind of divine positive energy which "charges" the water
    [​IMG]
    It is claim such water can then expel evil spirits from possessed people; remove poxes and curses; and even cure diseases!

How can you do an objective survey in such a society? lmao

22. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    im just happy we beat the swedes.

Point Given , Darth Guy, tom and 2 others like this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I noticed something.

None of the happiest countries are really goddamn hot until Australia. The top eight have climates conducive to human habitation.

I'm guessing Australia gets away with it because it has great beaches, and not too much freedom many guns.

24. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    After reading a couple different articles over the last year about being happier as you get older, does that mean the top countries are full of old people?

25. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

If that was true, Japan would be the happiest country in the world.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.