main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

World of Warcraft coming to the big screen

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    World of Warcraft to the Big Screen

Warner Bros.-based Legendary Pictures has picked up film rights to adapt the popular fantasy video game franchise World of Warcraft and will develop the project with game publisher Blizzard Entertainment, which is owned by Vivendi.

While the "Warcraft" franchise has been around for more than a decade, the most recent iteration, the megahit online title "World of Warcraft," has transformed the video game industry.

Unlike most games, where players pay $50 once and play until they're done, more than 6 million people around the world pay $14.99 per month to participate in the multiplayer game.

Legendary put up half the money for Warners' Batman Begins and the upcoming Superman Returns.

let the speculation begin

2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Blizzard has a press release saying that it will be live action rather than animated.

3. CJS

CJS Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2006
    This has the potential to be a great film...or it has the potential to be really bad. I'm talking Dungeons & Dragons bad.

This requires the right director and a brilliant screenwriter. Just setting a fantasy film in the world of WoW won't be enough. They have to do this right.

4. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    yeah. this has the potential to be great or suck badly. now if we could get a Starcraft movie. that's my favorite Blizzard game. but that's for another thread and day :p

5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I remember a few years ago there was a movie that was going to be released called "Diablo". Blizzard ended up suing and forcing the movie to change it's name because Blizzard owned the rights to the name "Diablo" for movies. Now, thats a movie I'd like to see.

6. CJS

CJS Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2006
    Just keep Uwe Bol away from this franchise. I'll say it over and over: the key will be choosing a director and an EXCELLENT screen writer/script writer.

7. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    I seriously want this movie to fail, becuase if it is good, then it will just cause Hollywood to produce more bad video game based films.

8. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    [image=http://www.morzar.ch/mess/horde.jpg]

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    [face_laugh]

10. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    I'm afraid. I'm very afraid.

I forsee dragons and magic crystals and quests involving elves, dwarfs, and humans working with an occasional gnome or two. I forsee many boring quests and LOTR-homages and a destruction of lore. I forsee cliches and archetypes and stereotypes and a destruction of all that Warcraft has become. I forsee evil orcs and tauren and trolls, and mindless undead. I forsee slobber. Lots of slobber, and toilet humor and bad acting and directing. I forsee bad costumes and cheesy accents. I forseesee the ruination of a franchise. I see Boll.

11. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    [face_laugh]=D=

Post of the year.

12. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    I can't see much good coming out of this unless they really amp up the humor and make it a satire of fantasy cliches. I can see it now. . .

Young Warrior: How am I to become the greatest warrior of them all?

Warrior Trainer: First, you must kill a dozen harmless wolf pups! Then, you must deliver this letter to the innkeeper in the town down the road!

A few hours later

Young Warrior: Yes! These pointless tasks make me feel stronger!

13. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    Now I'M afraid.

14. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
  15. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    It's bad that I'd rather see this than a serious fantasy flick isn't it?

16. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Sadly only people who play these games would 'get' the humour there.

Blizzard has a press release saying that it will be live action rather than animated.

There's no difference, is there? A movie like this would be nothing but CGI on a green-screen.

17. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I'd trust Spielberg to make a good movie out of it. Few others, though, so I'm very wary.

I hope they don't really call the movie "World of Warcraft". Why not simply "Warcraft"? That's what it is, after all.

18. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    yeah. although they could do some location shooting like New Zealand which has perfect locales for something like this. but it also depends how big a budget this is going to have

19. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    The Spielberg rumors have been debunked.

20. Twinky_Stryder

Nov 16, 2003
    Just as long as the infamous Boll is not even in the same BUILDING as the script, I'll be happy.

I must say that I've never seen one of his films, but after hearing that he made a terrible adaptation of my favourite arcade game, House of The Dead, I just don't wanna risk seeing one.

21. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    QFT

22. Twinky_Stryder

Nov 16, 2003
    Um, ok, this is gonna sound newbieish, but what does QFT mean? :confused:

23. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i read somewhere Quoted For Truth. i hope i'm not wrong[face_worried]

24. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Yes, "Quoted For Truth" is the correct definition. Check out the glossary for more.

And yes, let's all hope Uwe Boll doesn't get his evil paws all over this one. He has his own crappy fantasy epic to worry about (Dungeon Siege I & II).

25. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    If Legendary is involved you can count Boll out ;)

First off he would see it as selling out. Secondly all of his money is a front for German drug runners and I don't see Tull running that way ;)

Routh is apparently looking into a role in the film. With the lingering questions of a Returns sequel he may get the chance. Even then depending on the role he might be able to fit it in [face_thinking]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.