main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

World of Warcraft coming to the big screen

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rayson

Rayson Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Mm, as stated before it has the potential to be wonderful or suck big time.

Unfortunately, I'm leaning towards the latter. How can they capture such an immense world with so many characters, items, creatures, etc.?

Personally, I think it'll just end up wasting more money. [face_plain]

2. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    hmmm. who could Brandon Routh play? [face_thinking]

3. 114

114 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2005
    Perhaps yet another human warrior starting out in Northshire Abbey whose muscles are already so toned that he could take down Rambo or Conan? :p

I mean, sheesh, have you ever taken a look at the size of those fingers?

4. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    New Warcraft Movie Details!

Kotaku attended BlizzCon, Blizzard Entertainment's annual Anaheim, CA event, and learned new details about Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures' big screen adaptation of popular fantasy video game franchise Warcraft.

The site says that representatives from Blizzard and Legendary hosted a panel on the film which included Blizzard's Paul Sams and Chris Metzen and Legendary Pictures CEO Thomas Tull and Chief Creative Officer Jon Jashni. They confirmed that the Warcraft movie will be live-action with a yet to be determined level of CG environments and effects. They are still planning for a 2009 release.

Sams, Metzen and Jashni said they did not want to "create another video game movie" but to "create an epic." The script is still in the works and there is no director yet, but they did confirm the story would take place about a year before the events in "World of Warcraft" take place. The film will be told from the Alliance perspective.

Click here for more details and a piece of concept art shown during the panel!

5. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    wow, in entire world of couped of nerds coming out from their parents basements to see a movie for a change.

scary. I wonder what they will look like and how many will actually take a shower for the event? Wonder if any of them how long it has been since they have taken a shower?

6. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

It takes place a year before WoW, eh? Interesting.

Best guess: Black Dragonflight movie.

7. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    At one of the other panels at Blizzcon (the Lore panel, IIRC) someone (Metzen?) said that the movie was going do a bit of mangling in terms of the dates of a couple key events, and use them as bookends to the movie's story. The movie will deal with the declining relations between the Horde and Alliance after the Third War, and will end with a big battle.

Black Dragon involvement still sounds possible to me. Onyxia, to be specific. I'm thinking one of those two key events mentioned will be the disappearance of Varian Wrynn, the king of Stormwind before the ten-year-old took over. Bolvar Fordragon is also mentioned as being one of the major characters, which makes an Onyxia (err...Lady Katarina Prestor) involvement even more likely.

8. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I wonder if they'll charge 14.99 to get in, and you get an expansion pack with your ticket.

and just wait for the contests to have a walk on role from each server.

Blizzard plans a massive server maintenance for opening night.

and then is sucks and they rush home to log in and complain about it.

DENIED!

haha

9. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    This is just dumb... Sorry, but when's Hollywood going to figure it out; Video Game movie = Bad movie. Let's break it down, shall we..

Super Mario Bros. = BAD
    Tomb Raider = BAD
    Final Fantasy = BAD (Great CG though)
    Resident Evil = Not quite as BAD, but still not that good.
    and finally the ultimate worst ever *Drum Roll*
    Street Fighter = worst ever

I feel like I'm forgetting one...

The scope of Everquest is far to big to be captured in the span of an hour and a half. And say they did, would it just look like a LOTR rip? I don't know. But if you ask me, since they're so ready to make another VGM of the fantasy genre, maybe they should take on The Legend of Zelda. Now there's a movie with some potential.

Then again, I could be wrong. ;)

D_M_S_L

10. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    no...the second Mortal Kombat was the worst ever...but it's REEEAAALYY Close.

Doom was also awful.

And what's more, is that a VG movie will never be good unless it is STELLAR because we understanding from before the film begins that it's gonna stink. It's just a negative because of what it is.

And I think there is a reason for...no body wants to watch a story retread of a story that you not only have seen...but have participated in...with more consideration and passion then some 2bit actor and a hack commercial director put into the film.

VG movies have an invested fanbase in the story...and you can't cheap your way around that. A good VG movie would be the most expensive film ever made and probably be the longest.

*resumes prayers for $300 million dollar Diablo movie*

11. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    Thanks, I totally forgot about the MK movies and Doom (which could've been cool, but they decided to change the story and screw everything up).

D_M_S_L

12. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Silent Hill was good though. Still, WoW just exists so people can mock it, I odn't see how this'll change with a (most likely) awful movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.