main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

World of Warcraft coming to the Big Screen

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    World of Warcraft to the Big Screen

Warner Bros.-based Legendary Pictures has picked up film rights to adapt the popular fantasy video game franchise World of Warcraft and will develop the project with game publisher Blizzard Entertainment, which is owned by Vivendi.

While the "Warcraft" franchise has been around for more than a decade, the most recent iteration, the megahit online title "World of Warcraft," has transformed the video game industry.

Unlike most games, where players pay $50 once and play until they're done, more than 6 million people around the world pay $14.99 per month to participate in the multiplayer game.

Legendary put up half the money for Warners' Batman Begins and the upcoming Superman Returns.

let the speculation begin. here's the[link=http://boards.theforce.net/science_fiction_and_fantasy_films_and_television/b10748/23847301/p1/?0]SFF: Films and TV Thread[/link] on this also.

2. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    What?! There's no way to succesfully do this! Hollywood.:rolleyes:

3. Alaskan_Jedi

Alaskan_Jedi Jedi Youngling

May 9, 2005
    That is going to be the most retarded movie, unless it is somehow really awesome. Either way ill be going to see it lol.

4. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    yeah. this has the potential to be great or suck badly. now if we could get a Starcraft movie. that's my favorite Blizzard game. but that's for another thread and day :p

5. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    "Suck this will, and severly so."

6. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    You have to admit that the odds of a game based movie being good are not good.
    If Uwe Boll were doing this the chances of it sucking are 100%.....

7. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I thought Silent Hill was an awesome videogame movie.

I think Blizzard could make something great here as they have quite the track record of making awesome games. Blizzard IIRC said that they were going to work closely with Legendary to ensure they make the best possible movie out there. And lets be real here for a second, has anyone heard of legendary? They'll probably do their best to make it rock to get their name known.

8. WEEBACCA

WEEBACCA Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 4, 2004
    This will be the next LOTR for sure! ;)

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
  10. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Its been debunked as just a rumor, I believe.

11. MASTER-OF-EVIL

MASTER-OF-EVIL Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    Wouldn't mind if Peter Jackson puts his hand up for the film when he finishes the Halo film it would be up his alley in terms of the genre World of Warcraft is in.

12. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    If Warcraft does well, then a Starcraft movie might be in the cards.

13. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    They should give "Leeroy Jenkins" a part.

14. VictorVegas

VictorVegas Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 10, 2000
    Absolutely. This WOW movie is gonna suck unless it includes gold farmers, the Sword of L33tness, an amulet of extreme plot significance, instanced dungeons, and a mismatched player class being called a newb.

To be honest, I could see a Starcraft movie doing sooo much better than a WOW movie. This movie is going to make millions of movie goers puke popcorn.

15. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Ugh. That's all I have to say.

16. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    New Warcraft Movie Details!

Kotaku attended BlizzCon, Blizzard Entertainment's annual Anaheim, CA event, and learned new details about Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures' big screen adaptation of popular fantasy video game franchise Warcraft.

The site says that representatives from Blizzard and Legendary hosted a panel on the film which included Blizzard's Paul Sams and Chris Metzen and Legendary Pictures CEO Thomas Tull and Chief Creative Officer Jon Jashni. They confirmed that the Warcraft movie will be live-action with a yet to be determined level of CG environments and effects. They are still planning for a 2009 release.

Sams, Metzen and Jashni said they did not want to "create another video game movie" but to "create an epic." The script is still in the works and there is no director yet, but they did confirm the story would take place about a year before the events in "World of Warcraft" take place. The film will be told from the Alliance perspective.

Click here for more details and a piece of concept art shown during the panel!

17. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    I smell another Dungeons & Dragons ...

18. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    I don;t think It i'll suck
    Warcraft does have a very strong story line

19. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Exctly. Unlike D&D, Warcraft has a fairly set story line, and the lore is fan-freaking-tastic. And it's not just the novels, but the games themselves. All in all, I'd like to see a movie based off of Warcraft III. Minimal time on backstory is required, and it had a great story. Of course, one could say that there are too many story lines to follow, in which case, focusing on one or two would be better.

I personally can't wait.

DA DA DA DA DA DA DA DA DA DA DA DA!

20. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Well, if it's set prior to the events of WoW and is Alliance based, maybe it'll be about the resurrection of the Paladin Order of the Silver Hand...

21. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jul 31, 2002
    I just pray that they don't try to make it "realistic" weapon-wise. I want them wielding weapons that no human could possibly wield without the power of the Light aiding them.

:p

Oh, and Dwarves. We must have dwarves.

FOR KHAZ MODAN!

22. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Well D&D doesn't have any real attempt at story aside from some what I'd imagine to be tacky stories, Jifty. Draglonlance/Eberron/Forgotten Realms, on the other hand...

Kyp, the order is still dead. The closest to an attempt to resurrect it is the actions of Tirion Fordring in Eastern Plaguelands.

E_S

23. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    As long as I breathe, the order still lives

24. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jul 31, 2002
    True, which is why the D&D movie would have benefited from having a Ganda...I mean Elminster story.

25. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Kyp - the Order died with Uther. :p Unless you reckon Archbishop Faol or the Lightbringer personally inducted you? o_O ;)

If you want the Order to live, go do the Tirion quests. ;)

Jifty - then it wouldn't be a D&D movie would it? :p It'd be an FR movie and Elminster's such a pain. Drizzt FTW.

E_S

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.