VIDEO World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Games' started by Indy3, Nov 17, 2004.

Moderators: MarcusP2, The2ndQuest
  1. Indy3 Jedi Knight

star 5
    Anyone getting this game?

Any comments?

I will be getting it.
  2. AlienAcid Jedi Knight

star 6
    played the beta a fair bit, its kinda okay not great but better then EQ2 beta.
  3. DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight

star 5
    I am playing the beta for this, and it is awesome, to me. I love it. Im debating whether to go warrior or rogue, because rogues are kick ass and fast as crap!
  4. Darth_Iquitous Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I'm still obsessing over starwars galaxies...
  5. Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight

star 7
    The open beta ends tomorrow, so I got a bunch of other dwarves to throw away their possessions and dance naked outside Ironforge.

Unfortunately...I cant get my screenshots up yet...
  6. Lord Bane Manager Emeritus

star 5
    The open beta is over, and I had a blast. This marks my first foray into the world of MMORPG, and really, I can see why some people give up sunlight for these things. I found myself playing the beta for a half dozen hours at a crack, often into the dawn-hours of the morning. But see, it was all so new to me: PvP & raiding, such long-distance travel, partying, professions and the like. It felt in part like Diablo, a traditional RPG, with more people like you running around, and really, that's all it is. But what fun.

A few problems:

*There is no charity amongst the Alliance. I found myself surrounded by idle healers many times as I was getting my butt kicked, but where was the healing? I made a point of helping lower level folk if I could, and even aiding the healing of higher ups. But I found, on the whole, such a lack of charity toward fellow players as to sour me on interacting with large swaths of them.

*Graphics/Environment - now, it may be because of my settings, but I found there to be a few too many angles, and a bit more flatness than I would've like. It was a fun world to be a part of, but I expected swaying trees, wind, bushes that moved as you jumped through them. Maybe even different footfall sounds as you bounded up grass, sand, rocks, etc.

*I would've liked a pre-set key for looking around, instead of using the mouse for it at all times. It may be because this is such a keyboard based game, and the mouse sometimes just got in the way for me. It's sort of nitpicky, I know.

I have to ask, for those who played the beta, what's it like compared other MMORPGs like Galaxies and EverQuest or the old standard, Ultima? I remember this guy Stephan always trying to get me to buy Ultima and play with it - I would ask him about it often, and it sounded interesting. How big are the leaps between the MMORPGs released in the last five years?

I don't know if I'll purchase this game come November 23rd, basically because I'll only get it if I am employed, which I currently am not. If I have income, then I can pay out the monthly ($13-15 I think), which really is $.50 or less a day, not much, but it adds up. I also wonder, will it be a yearly subscription or pay as you go?
  7. Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'd get WoW if I hadn't gotten addicted to FFXI which I recently quit. But from what I've seen of it, the game is uber-awesome!
  8. jedidc Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I'm going to be picking up EQ2 instead. I'd rather play with the more realistic characters of EverQuest than the cartoonish WoW ones. This is just my opinion though.
  9. Lord Bane Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I heard EQ2 is pretty poor in comparison - that it has great looks, realtistic people and all, but little substance in the environment and story and why pay $15 a month on top of the game purchase for weak story? That's just the opinion I've been hearing and reading about in online game magazines.
  10. 7-7-7 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I played through the final stress test and the open beta, and I loved (almost) every minute of it. I'm buying it and going for the collector's edition, too.

Did anyone play in the last hours of the open beta last night? It was, honest to goodness, the most fun I've ever had in all of my online days. I don't know if this was just on my realm or on all of them, but the Game Master's decided to have a bit of fun in the last two or three hours. First, they turned people in chickens, occasionally on request, more often than not without their consent. Then they went about creating immense, absolutely enormous and extremely powerful monsters which ravaged across the landscape. Hordes of monsters depopulated entire villages, then turned on the cities. The city guards of all six capitals didn't stand a chance, and dreadlords, infernals, fel beasts, and other nasties completely annihilated everyone in sight. They eventually made their way to the kings and faction leaders, and guarded them for a while. After a while, the monsters turned on the kings and wiped out the leaders of the game. They even killed the little eight-year-old defenseless human king. I watched as they marched the dwarf king away for execution, and was glad to see that the gnome leaders didn't get far.

By the end, the cities were almost inaccessible from all of the uber-high level baddies controlling the streets. Nearly the entire Orcish faction got together and tried to retake their city, but they didn't stand a chance and were all killed. It was almost impossible to take a step in the cities without standing on the corpses of the players who had fallen. The last handful of people who survived until the end hid in a tavern in stormwind, myself included. We pawned off our possessions, armor and weapons, bought as much booze as we could affort, and danced naked and drunk on top of the tables until the servers shut down.

Drunk, naked, in a bar, dancing with a bunch of equally naked elves is the only good way to die.
  11. Indy3 Jedi Knight

star 5
    Should be getting it when it launches

Here are some 2 awesome concept art pics HIGH RES

[image=http://img66.exs.cx/img66/1835/12445.jpg]

[image=http://img35.exs.cx/img35/2128/16361.jpg]
  12. DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight

star 5
    here is a screenshot of my last day on WoW

[link=http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/danothan/Dancing_.jpg]Dancing![/link]

Tell me if it doesnt work for you guys
    bah i hate angelfire. wheres a good site to upload pictures?
  13. Indy3 Jedi Knight

star 5
    I dont see it, dont like angelfire
  14. Lord Bane Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I've seen EQ2 screenshots, and compared to WoW, there seems to be no comparison. WoW is a triumphant entry for Blizzard into this growing arena. You have to wonder what they will do next for the PC arena after such a massive endevour. World of Diablo or Diablo III? The much-hyped Starcraft II (imagine a Worlds [literally] of Starcraft...)?

One of the things that makes me want to buy the game despite my lack of incoming funds is the depth with which you can play. There were always new quests and the like opening up or, for those who have played in an area and completed the quests but just want to dick around, parties to join for old quests and new haul and XPts. There's a story underneath it all as well, and I wonder how they will continue it with their eventual expansions. Surely, they'll bring back Illidan, the mad night elf, who they have written out of death and into exile with his allies. Perhaps the Naga will return and maybe - just maybe - there are lands to the west of Kalimdor and east of Azeroth that no one has ventured to with new races and stories. It's a thought.

Really, I wish they'd kept the beta open a few more days. :(
  15. Darth_Iquitous Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Angelfire is a bad place to put photos, try www.imageshack.us
  16. Charlie_Martel Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I plan on buying it myself (after playing the beta for well over 50 hours). I'm certainly not going to buy it on the first day, though. World of Warcraft is still a MMORPG... there's no guarentee the servers will be stable at the beginning.
  17. DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight

star 5
    [image=http://img107.exs.cx/img107/607/Dancing.jpg]

imageshack.us is good! I got my picture uploaded!
  18. Indy3 Jedi Knight

star 5
  19. Darth_Omega Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    perhaps the Naga will return

I thought the Naga were already in the game?
  20. 7-7-7 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Here's one image from my end-game [image=http://img36.exs.cx/img36/147/Wow3.jpg]

21. Lord Bane Manager Emeritus

star 5
    On the Naga: they can be seen - supposedly - while riding the Deeprun Tram when it passes underwater. But even for that, they are not in the current edition of the game. It is thought that in the first major expansion that includes new races, the Naga will be among those races included as minions of Illidan, along with the Draenor and some others.

Naga were a power race in Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. Their characters, if included, would be monstrously strong just start, judged from their WC3:TFT appearance. They have characters that already match up the classes offered, so that wouldn't just be a problem; just balance.
  22. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I played the WoW Open Beta as a Night Elf Rogue (yes, it was technically not available in Malaysia, but being tech-savvy has its bonuses). It was a blast. :D I could easily play for 5-6 hours without even realizing it, it was so absorbing. Sure, some parts were annoying - such as dying 4 times in a row in a place that's a 5-minute run from the nearest spawn point - but overall, it was wicked cool.

When it's released here (hopefully soon...) I'm definitely getting it, though my parents will need some convincing - it's got a pretty hefty price tag. Will prolly play a Rogue again, because I had a lot of fun with its fast attack speed, stealth, and so on, but I might also try a Mage just for kicks.
  23. Tobey-Wan Jedi Master

star 9
    I'll be picking up my Collector's Edition (which I preordered at the beginning of August) tomorrow morning as soon as EB opens. Then it's home to pick a server for my guild to be on. Too bad they haven't announced the server lists yet. If anyone's interested in a Horde guild on a USEast PvE server, send me a pm and I'll give you the url to the website.

I played the beta from early May to the present and never got bored with the game. The story keeps you in the game since quests just keep coming and coming. And after playing AC2 (where you did the same quests OVER and OVER and OVER), that's a welcome change.
  24. Lord Bane Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I believe there are over a thousand individual quests, from small "Go run across the countryside to Man X" things to longer, more complicated affairs where yes, you'll die many times.
  25. Tarzimp Jedi Youngling

On the Naga: they can be seen - supposedly - while riding the Deeprun Tram when it passes underwater. But even for that, they are not in the current edition of the game.

The naga are all over the place. Off the top of my head I killed naga right next to southshore, I swam around and did quests in an underwater city they have near stromguarde, they are all over the beaches north of Booty bay, and they inhabit the fallen ruins of Ashraza in Kalimdor. I?m also sure that I?ve forgotten several places they can be found at.

On the subject of wow itself I'll be picking up three preorders tomorrow for it. I started during the first Phase of beta and It's been a blast the whole time. I even got back into PvP which I haven't touched since UO.
Moderators: MarcusP2, The2ndQuest