main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Indy3, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Ok I am almost 83 now. Really liking the changes to the game/new zones. Not having a problem with ganking, both sides are coexisting for the most part.

Bad things:

- glitches and bugs. The submarine quest? Give me a break. There's got to have been 20 of us stuck in the stupid sub going around in circles waiting. Blizz says they're working on it, but that should have been fixed in beta since it was a problem in beta as well.

- The worgen. I feel as though they created an uber awesome starting zone with awesome quests, and then just said **** it and threw in some furries. I mean, try out the worgen jokes. Even those mention that they're furries. It's horrible. It's a travesty. Besides, the female worgen cluck like chickens when they laugh. HORRIBLE I SAY.

Good things:

- Too many to list, plus who cares about good things when we can discuss the bad.

2. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    New Org is awesome, and i love the streamlined early leveling zones now. I'm bringing up a Troll Drood and brought him through Silverpine and Hillsbrad. It's nice to see the in-game world actually changing.

My troll Mage just dinged 83. I'm moving along steadily. Love the new instances. It's not just faceroll AOE anymore. You actually have to CC again.

Yay!

3. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I hit 85 on my Pally last night but the next highest person in my guild is only 83. Now to play the waiting game while the rest of them catch up. I guess I'll go check out Twilight Highlands as it's the only new zone I haven't been to yet.

4. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Twilight Highlands was my favorite new zone. I ganked so many warlocks :D

5. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    TH is ok.

2 points off on getting into heroics. LAMEEEE.

Also what the hell is up with rogue dps - it's like, lower than every other dps class' now. And it's not just because I suck. It's ok right now, and I guess it will get better when I get awesome gear but...the shamans and mages are out dpsing me by a LOT, even the ones with crappier gear.

6. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I hear assassination is the way to go for rogues now. I'm pulling 11-12k in heroics atm in all 333-346 gear.

7. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    My goblin mage (fire) dinged 31 last night - having a blast with him (pun not intended :p). Just finished up Stonetalon Mountains - I really like the way Blizzard have pulled off the phasing tech in this expansion. Next I'm off to Southern Barrens. :)

8. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    I have been sucked back in. :(

Only level 22 at the moment, and it'll be a while before I get anywhere, but I am greatly enjoying my subtlety rogue. Shadowstep!! [face_love]

9. Shinar

Shinar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    I was picking up flightpoints in Stonetalon on my alliance druid a couple of days after 4.0 when the sky turned dark and next thing I knew I was dead :D

[image=http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL431/779563/20279745/394086301.jpg]

My horde shaman was not as fortunate a few days ago in Twilight Highlands, apparently there can be phasing issues with Stood in Fire :(

[image=http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL431/779563/20279745/393995420.jpg]

My husband and I are having a blast, he took time off of work and had his paladin to 85 in two days. Our guild has been running heroics for days now and we've cleared all of them. Raiding will officially resume next week.

10. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I was questing in Uldum on Sunday night and the same thing happened to me. The sky turned red and general chat blew up with people asking where Deathwing was. I took to the sky and started flying towards the middle of the zone when I spotted a black cloud in front of me. Deathwing flew out and breathed flame right at me. Had I not been incinerated I probably would have been eaten. Then he got me again in Twilight Highlands last night. It's not as fun the second time.

11. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    So Maulfly and I finally cracked, and for the first time ever, we will be joining WoW. Just got the Battle Pack of the base game and Burning Crusade. We'll see how it goes before deciding on the rest. Figure it will be good practice for TOR :p

12. Champion of the Force

Dec 27, 1999
    Dinged 60 on my goblin mage last night :), and with that I'm now in Outland and have 20 levels in front of me of 'old zones' in Outland and Northrend (that sounds weird) before I can go someplace new again.

Going to miss the new-Vanilla - in the end I quested through Azshara, Ashenvale, Stonetalon Mountains, Southern Barrens, Dustwallow Marsh, Thousand Needles, Tanaris, Un'Goro Crater, Winterspring and Blasted Lands. Had a great time right through (excepting maybe Dustwallow Marsh and Un'Goro Crater, which didn't feel too dissimilar to previous experiences). Also with the exception of Blasted Lands my levelling was done entirely within Kalimdor which should make Eastern Kingdoms ripe for another character to level in and still feel fresh. :)

13. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    I love the new Azeroth. :D Each zone has an actual story now, not just a collection of random quests you have to figure out how to optimize together for maximum levelling speed. And no more dead zones! You used to have to basically grind 40-45 because everything would be either green or orange.

(Okay, that's been changed for a while, but still.)

I'm also liking the new dungeon and rep system. Bit sad though, I've levelled past a few zones just because I spent too much time doing random dungeons for the blue reward.

14. Champion of the Force

Dec 27, 1999
    I admittedly haven't yet set foot into a dungeon, mainly due to my random log in/log off times that make me reluctant to get involved with a group. I've enjoyed the standard questing experience regardless so no loss. :)

Dinged 62, and I have to say that since arriving in Outland I feel like the game's taken a backward step questing-wise - whilst no doubt TBC was an improvement on old-vanilla back in the day I finding a bit of back-and-forth happening whilst do the quest runs; definitely lacks the polish that new-vanilla now has. Thankfully since we now have flight available at 60 (since August 2009) the process isn't as tedious.

15. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Enjoying the game quite a bit so far. Started playing about 3 days ago and I've already got my Horde Shaman up to level 21. Managed to put together a little pile of gold selling off Gingerbread cookies, small eggs, and recipes for the Winter Veil event. Not much, but looks like a fortune for a newb. :p

Strife and I attempted to wander into Ragefire Chasm just for grins. We actually did decent considering it was just the two of us, him a Paladin and me a Shaman. The sub-bosses, though were wiping the floor with us (though we did manage to get that Trogg leader down to half his HP one time). Guess it would help if we had at least one dedicated healer on hand, huh? :p

Otherwise, we've been mainly grabbing all of the various quests we run across. I'm used to playing RPGs on consoles, so at the moment I tend to prefer to play solo. Don't think I'll be rushing to join any guilds.

16. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Paladin and shaman? Queue for random instance runs as a tank/healer duo; you'll get a lot of groups. And make dpsers very happy. :D

Powerlevelling madly to catch up with my friends at the moment. [face_beatup] Went from 42 to 49 in like a day, and I'm still not caught up ... that's what I get for doing Real Life Stuff for a week, I suppose. But, ugh, I hate powerlevelling. Rather be exploring.

17. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    When we played around in the Ragefire Chasm, I noticed that I seem to attract more aggro than Strife (probably a combination of my totem that spits fire and me being at a higher level at the time), which seems to be a bad thing if you want the pally to tank. Course, with only the two of us, I had to help attack, too. :p

At this point Strife's character is now at a slightly higher level than my shaman. But that's an idea we'll have to try out sometime, Xan. :D

18. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Stood In The Fire

Red sky in Blasted Lands, guessed what was happening and took off on my flying mount. Once airbourn, I figured I'd be safe to watch Deathwing.

I was wrong.

19. Champion of the Force

Dec 27, 1999
    I still haven't gotten the achievement - I've only seen Deathwing attack once, and I was far enough away that I missed getting hit. :(

Suppose an update is in order - my goblin is now 71 and I'm having a break from him atm. The new-vanilla zones were great but Outland was a slog and Northrend just feels more of the same and I was getting extremely bored. So I've switched to my 80 hunter who's now 82 - loving Mt Hyjal atm and looking forward to the rest of the 80-85 areas. [face_dancing]

20. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    http://dvice.com/archives/2011/01/according-to-ph.php

Well, I thought it was funny. :D

21. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
  22. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I'm back in. Last week, I bought Cata. I've got my mage up to lvl 83. I'm about 2/3rds done with Deepholm questing right now. One of the first things I did with my mage when it got to 80 (was at 79 when I got bored last June) was solo Blackrock Depths- something I've been trying to do forever, let alone just get to the Emperor. :p Once that was done, I put some very old unfinished business to rest finally. I could move on and start my Cata questing.

Now, is it just me or did Blizzard nerf the hell out of fire mages? Long ago before I went frost last June for Wrath questing (yes, Frost is quite viable in frigid Northrend), I used to be a fire mage melting everybody's faces off. Nowadays with dual specialization and everything, I've been considering a PoM-pyro secondary for PvP but that doesn't seem like a very good route anymore. I will say, though, the new mage spell Flame Orb is quite nifty. I put that lovely little sucker out there at every available opportunity. Haven't tried Ring of Frost yet.

So anyway, with the disappointment of fire and boredom of frost, I'm now Arcane.

If you've never had a mage or don't really know much about mages, you have to understand that going the Arcane route for mages used to be something of a joke. But it looks like Arcane is the new Fire, Fire is the new Arcane, and Frost stays Frost. It's so weird because, like, four years ago my fellow guildies would joke "GO ARCANE LOLOLOLOL" when I said I wanted to change my talents.

Other than that, I created a Worgen Druid and a Goblin Rogue, 16 and 14, respectively. Gilneas was great, but then Blizzard just dumped the Worgen in Darnassus and gave them a tree that isn't even a unique model. wtf. Run outta time, Blizz? OTOH, I am enjoying the hell out of my Goblin. On a whim, I named him "Handsomestud" and now all the questgivers are calling him Handsomestud and hailing Handsomestud this and Handsomestud that every time he accomplishes something. [face_laugh] Once I've got my mage at 85, I'm gonna focus on Handsomestud, not just leveling, but building towards the new gold cap. Goblins... seem like a pretty good race to do that with.

23. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Just hit 74! Northrend is cool. Getting past TBC content was a pain in the ass - although admittedly, that's because I played the crap out of it before I quit, and still remember it all too clearly two-odd years on. Lemme tell ya, I went straight to Howling Fjord as soon as I hit 68.

I love the scale of things in WotLK. I imagine it would be frustrating if you weren't able to fly, but as we can, it's cool. The instances, on the other hand ... while on one hand I appreciate them being streamlined and easier to get through, I'm reminded of this infographic:

[image=http://www.multiplayergames.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/mapdesign.jpg]

It also holds true when comparing instance design between classic WoW and Cata. Anyone remember the old Sunken Temple? :p

24. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    ...Why didn't I think to look here for a thread about WoW?

I got corrupted into playing WoW over January, when I was working full-time in a computer lab with fantastic internet and little to do. And I'm very impressed!

My main character is a level 63 undead mage. I rather like the 'I stand back here in the dungeon with the healer and shoot fire at you. You die.' I kind of do wish there were other things to do at level 60 than go to Outland. Going through there with a mage and a death knight- the mage definitely has a far easier time of it.

Goal for the summer: learn to raid.

25. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Sunken Schmunken! Remember BRD? :p Now there was an instance!