main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC World War 3 Countdown Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rylo Ken, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
  2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Absolutely. I've suggested a number of plausible ways to split up the country into internationally less dangerous parts in other threads.

It takes a long time for aircraft carriers to rust when we have people without other employable skills willing to paint the outside of the hull. We will be militarily dangerous long after we've been terminally weakened economically.

3. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

That depends. Russia is very militarily weak; only its special forces have received increased state funding - the rest of the army lacks in modernisation. A reason why Putin does not want a direct war with NATO - Russia would not stand a chance against well a equipped and modern European and North America armies. It is not as dangerous as we think; all depends if a post-superpower United States maintain current spending levels because it could end up in a similar position to Russia, if it doesn't.

Expanding on Ender's second civil war scenario, Rylo Ken have you considered a military coup? In many ways, the US is beginning to resemble many of her South American counterparts in the 70s and 80s, whose full Presidential systems showed to be pretty much incapable and prone to partisan infighting. If the US intelligence community are withholding sensitive information from Trump, who knows what else is going on.

(see MI5 Wilson plot from the 70s in the UK. You'll catch the point I'm making)

4. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000

Rylo Ken likes this.
  5. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    We rely on your international perspective extensively and without reservation. I'm using the royal we, referring only to myself.

6. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Until the SuperWatto's inevitable decline, of course.

7. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Word War 3 - Watto vs. Wocky, with no one else able to resist jumping in due to all them entanglesome reliances. It will be catastrophic.

SuperWatto likes this.
  8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The 17th of March, 2018. A dirty bomb let off in Washington D.C. will be the excuse.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  9. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    That will interfere pretty badly with the planned release date of the Tomb Raider reboot.

10. yeurgh

yeurgh Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2016
    I think it's dangerous to underestimate Russia. Whether due to luck or (more likely in my opinion) due in no small part to Russian propaganda, cyber warfare and FSB active measures squads being leveraged in a long game of chess, NATO is weakening, the US has become inward-looking, the EU has been weakened and may face fragmentation rather than expanding to incorporate Ukraine, Turkey has been shaken and is more eager to co-operate with Moscow... generally, the tight grip the West had on Russia is starting to crumble.

I don't think for a moment that Russia will start a world war any time soon but I can see them nibbling away at states like Latvia and Lithuania and creating a belt of co-operative/vassal states as Europe & NATO weaken further.

A lack of cash could end up being catastrophic, as it was for the USSR, but Russia has a long history of superb espionage, extraordinary resourcefulness and plain, simple toughness. The Soviets beat the US into space with a tin can, some vodka and pickles and Putin is a master of cheeki-breeki.

11. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Putin is relatively young too. He could run Russia for another 15 years or longer. Agreed though I don't see another world war coming out of a direct Russia confrontation.

12. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    To be knocked down from imperial status is a hard blow to the national psyche of any country, and Russia's reintegration was badly handled.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Doomed Raider.

14. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I thought we were already in the middle of this.

SuperWatto likes this.
  15. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
  16. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

He still has enemies in the FSB, military and United Russia.

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Weird. I just watched the 1963 film, Fail Safe. Basically a serious version of Dr. Strangelove.

So what's the probability of WWIII happening due to one small technical glitch?

Rylo Ken likes this.
  18. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

We've come very close to that several times, especially in the 1980s.

19. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  20. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

[face_flag]

[face_laugh]

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Of course. It's a fight for slavery states' rights everywhere.

G-FETT and Violent Violet Menace like this.
  22. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    If we did have another civil war, would the rest of the world stay out? Could they? You can sure as hell bet that Russia will be backing one side, and if that happens could Europe stand by and watch?

23. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Depends on how the conflict affects the world. If it was major, then other powers would certainly try to play the peacemaker.

24. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Oh I don't know, we're only talking about the destruction of the world's biggest economy. And god knows what will happen to our nukes.

But then again maybe we needn't worry, because there's not going to be a civil war. We liberals can't even be bothered to go vote, let alone fight for anything.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  25. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Under cover of civil war, Mexico seizes back parts of California and Texas. Canada swoops in to repatriate Minnesota. Cuba claims the Florida keys.