main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC World War 3 Countdown Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rylo Ken, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I would like to think that we use whatever works best on them, irrespective of how big a boom it makes.

2. Scapro Tyler

Scapro Tyler Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Wikipedia says that but for some reason I thought I remembered us using it once before in the mid 2000s in Afghanistan.

I admit I could be wrong but I feel like I remember reading a lot about us dropping a MOAB. Maybe that was just the test.

3. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Reducing the shepherd population of Afghanistan and North West Pakistan is the only thing we've achieved with constant airstrikes since the 2000s.

Scapro Tyler likes this.
  4. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    The MOAB itself was developed in the early 2000's. I honestly don't remember if we used it at all after that until now, but I don't think we have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Uhh, ISIS isn't in Afghanistan. Or if it is, it's probably only a few cells here and there.

6. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    ISIS is in Afghanistan, and they're none too pleased with those pansy ass weak liberals the Taliban.

7. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
  8. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Just to preempt the "Trump is leading us to WW3" teeth gnashing that I've seen elsewhere, according to CBS this strike has been in the pipeline since the Obama administration.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-drops-mother-of-all-bombs-in-afghanistan-marking-weapons-first-use/

Trump just appears to be taking the credit for it. Because, after the media's reaction to him launching tomahawks at Syria, it seems blowing things up is something he can do to to legitimise his presidency. 'Murica!

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Fareed Zakaria declared that Trump is now a Super President.

10. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
  11. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    We have but slumbered here while these visions did appear.

12. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  13. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    The lack of WWIII news is disappointing me.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  14. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    I think North Korea said something, sometime yesterday. It was Monday and that begins the weekly saber rattling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Heard about the underwater nukes thing a few times. Now that I think about it, it doesn't even make sense. Communicating with submarines and underwater drones is difficult and unreliable, so trying to send a signal to an underwater nuclear device would have the same problems. If you want to nuke a target, the best way is still with a warhead on a missile. Not to mention if they ever nuked us, it doesn't matter if it came on a missile or torpedo or whatever, we'd just nuke them right back...so the threat of blackmail isn't really credible.

16. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
  17. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
  18. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Since it's become clear that there will be no enforceable or enforced globally coordinated effort to reduce greenhouse gas emissions within the timeframe required to avert disaster, and likely not within our lifetimes at all, we definitely need to start preparing for the geopolitical fallout from drastic changes to agricultural patterns and water availability. Increased frequency and severity of droughts, irreversible damage to shellfish availability and catastrophic disruption of the ocean food chain, inundation of coastal population centers, etc. It's going to be an interesting time for those interested in chaos, anarchy, destruction and the spread of human misery.

19. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    As an apropos to this, I was just listening to an architecture panel discussion specific to Iran, and it was mentioned that with the rapid willy nilly handing out of construction permits by the municipality, and the influx of rural populations that move in, Tehran is going to run out of a water supply within just a few years.

Luckily, our population is more progressive than our state; despite promotion by authorities to procreate and increase our population, we are the only country in the Muslim world to have negative population growth, which shows that people are aware of the scarcity of resources. Or maybe they just don't want to raise children in hard economic times. Although, with Iranians there's a great chance it might also be just to spite authorities. :p

Revyl Ren, SuperWatto and Rylo Ken like this.
  20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Don't worry, Trump will cancel-out global warming with a nuclear winter!

And if that doesn't work, well, as one of his scientist advisors who visited him in the transition said (paraphrased) "global warming is real, and it's good... time to decrease the surplus brown poor population and build a wall so they starve from global warming in their countries!"

21. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Forget global warming...You might get your dream of civilization sent back to pre modernity if the rumors of NoKo developing an EMP missile capable of getting through the protective Faradays is correct.

22. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Aren't the effects of an EMP temporary? Even if somehow North Korea made a major technological breakthrough that's eluded us, why would using one destroy all of civilization?

23. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Because not all systems we use in our society are hardened against the effects of EMP, and it's really the after effects from an EMP that would be the lasting issue. Even then, NK would have to find a way to deliver that.

24. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Ghost likes this.
  25. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    I think WW3 is very unlikely.... however Climate Change is real and is already a serious problem that will already grow.

There should have been a massive shift to modern nuclear power 20 years ago, but it's too late now to do anything but try to lessen the damage. I've reached the conclusion that people are going to have to start studying geo-engineering.... I don't see any other answer. Obviously a shift to cleaner power sources still needs to happen, but even if we somehow magically switched the world to clean power tomorrow we'd still have fairly seriously climate change issues to deal with for quite some time

Getting people in the west to drastically change their lifestyles was simply never going to happen (unless a catastrophe forced it)

At least I'm not worried about Peak Oil anymore... it looks like we'll be able to work past that one.