main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

World's Finest

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Azeem, Jul 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    No we will NOT tell you!

2. Ephisus

Ephisus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    Sandy's okay in my book. ;)

3. litobirdy

litobirdy Jedi Youngling

Jul 25, 2004
    Y not crunchy?

4. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    I was just tickled by your posting the same post :)

so I figured, before you copy and pasted again, to respond to you. I unfortunately don't know the song you are referring to, but just because no one responded to you the first time, doesn't mean they can't read, it may just mean that like me, they don't know either...

good luck to you on your quest to find that track ;)

5. litobirdy

litobirdy Jedi Youngling

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh sorry crunchy. But there has to be somebody out there that knows. There is always somebody that knows what tracks play in trailers.. Everybody identified all the tracks played in Grayson, so somebody has to figure out the track played here. From 1:30 on,, that trailer rocks. i want to know.

6. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    why not try writing to the source, Sandy Collora, and asking him? ;)

7. kissingsith

kissingsith Jedi Youngling

Jul 26, 2004
    >Well.. that was something. Providing all counterpoints are true

Providing. lol. or hes just lying to cover his ass - we wont ever know. thats the story i'd make up if someone tracked me down too.

sure seems like their writing styles are simmilar.

and even if someone else wrote the bio, its still on HIS website and he chose to put it there.

not convinced.

Collura: People are entitled to their opinions of my films
    Jacksmedula: Everyone's entitled to their opinion

8. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    Everyone's entitled to their own opinions

sock! You didn't have to go and create a new username this morning just to post this garbage and try to stir up more nonsense...

ANYWAY!

Back to the FILM

>>>>>>>>>WORLD'S FINEST<<<<<<<<<<<

9. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    Either way: Let it go. It's a pointless argument. So the man's got an ego. Let him.

10. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Perhaps the WB logo isn't there for contempt, but to remind people that this is still their property.

11. Jedi_Spiff

Jedi_Spiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    I dunno - the "Approved for all audiences by the MPAA" and "WB" logos kind of push it for me - not because I think Sandy intended them to (I suspect it was to increase "authenticity") but rather because they're completely incorrect. This trailer wasn't approved (was it?), and was not sponsored by the WB. As such, I feel it's misrepresentation of the studios. It's like one of us sticking a LucasFilm or 20th Centry Fox logo in front of our Star Wars works - it's just not appropriate.

-Spiff

12. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    Almost everyone uses the MPAA one, (except for those poor souls who strive to be different, but no one really cares), but the WB logo did take me by suprise I must say...

13. doggans

doggans Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 31, 2002
    It's like one of us sticking a LucasFilm or 20th Centry Fox logo in front of our Star Wars works - it's just not appropriate.

Most of the Episode III fan trailers actually do have the Fox and Lucasfilm logos before them...

14. Jedi_Spiff

Jedi_Spiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    Urg - spelled "Century" wrong up there. Duh.

Regardless who does it, I don't think it's appropriate - and it's probably precisely this kind of use of other people's trademarks that is likely to get people into real legal trouble. One can argue points for parody, and non-profit fan works - but directly ripping frames and logos is totally inappropriate IMHO.

If you're going to rip a logo, you should do something like this... and REALLY try to offend the studios - under the protection of free speech of course ;)

-Spiff

15. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    why sould they care about that either? it's not threatening? Freedom of speech man

16. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Unfortunately, the shroud of "Freedom of Speach" does not trump U.S. (or International) Copyright Laws. ;)

17. OutlawImpy

OutlawImpy Jedi Master star 2

Dec 1, 2003
    I'm putting the Twentieth Century Fox logo before my film, but just for the fun of it. If it get's hosted I'm gonna take it off just to keep the filesize down and to not ruffle any feathers.

18. GrgurMG

GrgurMG Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 11, 2003
    ..some of us actually "warm up" to a film right off the bat and analyze it later. This is also known as enjoying it.

I never said I didn't enjoy it. I meant "warmed up" in respect to the downpoints I mentioned in my review of if, as in more I watched it, the more I started changing my own mind. Like I gave it a good review.. but I'd give it an even better one if I reviewed it again.. or something like that.. whatever. o_O

As for the logo and warning label.. I see how that sort of thing has been no big deal in the past, mainly in various works of Star Wars fanfiction.. however, the situation is prolly not entirely the same.

1. Generally speaking I think Lucas and his various companies might be more lenient with that sort of thing than many other big companies.

2. Not to say any other fanfilms are less significant, but overall production value and degree of publicity WF was bound to attract (especially after Dead End's success); it logically would attract more attention and more scrutiny of such a thing, to itself. Though we hold many fanfilms in equal regards, generally speaking, the upper-ups would prolly care more in WFs case.. then if lets say I ran to Party City right now, grabbed some DC costumes, shot a Batman/Superman movie or trailer, then put the WB logo in it. Even if it came out suprisingly well or even great. It prolly wouldn't be nearly as good (especially with my camera), plus it wouldn't have the pre-established hype.

3. Also, you could consider the scrutiny superhero fanfilms have come under now-a-days, with studios like WB trying to make movies of their own and cracking down on those that are not, such as their removal from ComicCon. Not to sound overly dramatic, but these are more dangerous times for a Comic Fanfilm maker. [face_worried]

As for the MPAA thing, it potentially could be as dangerous to use, if not more so, then the WB. It's an official rating for a reason, so if others start to just slap it on, the rating looses it's integrity. Thenceforth the MPAA would prolly want to crack down pretty quick... if they take notice in the first place.

19. Dezion-Karr

Dezion-Karr Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2001
    I'm just gonna say I didn't really like this. It seemed very open ended and the effects and camera tricks (especially Superman flying) were just not to par with Batman Dead End at all.

Eh...

~DK~

EDIT: I watched it again, it just doesn't work for me. The Text looks good, the music works, but the shots, especially of superman, just feel weak - and the only actor in the whole thing who feels worth taking seriously, even slightly, is the guy playing bats.

20. Aryyn

Aryyn Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2004
    It seems to me that Sandy (if it was really him ) takes all these comments personally, which he shouldnt have! He should have responded to some of the serious questions and problems people had about the -FILM- instead of responding to typical forum BS. You guys must have really hurt his feelings for him to come on and defend himself. Good luck on your feature film SC your really gonna need it!

21. braxtanFILM

braxtanFILM Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Well nobody gets crapped on more than BraxtanFILM.

All we get day in and day out around this place--crap, crap, crap!

It's the internet. People are going to talk bad about you no matter how good your movie is. I just don't think anybody who MAKES MONEY as a PROFESSIONAL filmmaker should give a damn about some comments on a message board. I'd sell my left nut to get into Hollywood.

22. buliwif

buliwif Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    you know... the nature of the filmmaker's personality has no bearing on the films he creates. how many major stars do we know of as being primadonna's on the set? how many directors do we know of that are taskmasters and difficult to work with? we've all heard the stories, and yet we still go see their films... i don't know what Mr. Collora is like personally, and i don't care... i respect his vision AND his work...

and his work is what this thread is supposed to be about... if we're going to return to character bashing and he said/she said, then i think it's time for the mods to step in and close this thread... some of the posts i've seen in the last couple pages of this thread are treading dangerously close to being flames, and last i heard, that was frowned on in these boards.

who cares what the man is like? enjoy his films or don't. don't come in to a public (worldwide) forum and attempt to assassinate a man's character.

23. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    It seems to me that Sandy (if it was really him )

Ok obviously my post a bit back really didn't get through. Now that we are done with saying Sandy does this and this, its now; "It can't be him because why would he care, I wouldn't care blah blah blah."

Sany Collora is a Fan Film maker...just like the rest of us. When people talked trash about Nick Hallum's stuff he countered it, and no one made a fuss if it was him or not.

This isn't what Azeem made this thread for and thats not what teh point of this community is. He essentially makes a film for you to enjoy and you jump on him in heresay, he defends himself and now its in doubt if hes telling the truth or even himself.

Guys, jeez, step back and watch the flick. This is NOT the way to treat ANYBODY.

24. GrgurMG

GrgurMG Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 11, 2003
    Well nobody gets crapped on more than BraxtanFILM.

Heh, I actually showed a couple friends Worlds Finest and Grayson this weekend. They didn't like Grayson too much and though Worlds Finest was pretty good. But then I show them Freddy vs. Jason 2... and they're on the fall laughing asking me to download more. ;)

But about professional moviemakers not caring... I'm sure not sure where my stance is. I mean most don't care.. but is that always a good thing. I mean there are extremes in both cases. You can think yourself too highly and find peoples opinions insignificant... or you can get yourself too worked up about it. There are maybe happy medians. Like Sandy calmly and maturely defending his character.. I think that's a good thing.

I'll try to say this in the right context, but I think people were quicker to just rant and speculate about Sandy.. including myself.. cause you almost think of him as.. well like a Hollywood director or whatever.. whom generally don't care so people just feel free to rave about him. Where as a regular fanfilm director most would prolly be more reserved with their comments on... cause.. well they're more like peers.

I think Sandy is in the category in the middle. I mean.. normally there are two worlds.. Hollywood and fanfilm.. but he does fanfilms.. good ones... but he's worked in Hollywood awhile.. not necessarily directing.. but he's there and does that caliber work.. but he's also sort of a fanfilm peer. I dunno. I forget what I'm talking about and this post is seriously is too long as it is. This whole situation has made me really wanna go watch Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back ;)

***silently waits for the day Sandy Collora, with a huge list of screenames, shows up at his door to beat him down***

25. troops

troops Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2002
    I liked it, wasn't great, but I liked it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.