main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

World's Finest

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Azeem, Jul 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. braxtanFILM

braxtanFILM Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I thought it was good, but a bit of a let down after Dead End and Grayson. I didn't care for seeing Batman in the daylight all the time, and the flying shots were cheesey. But it was good to hear the Superman theme again, and see him tear open his jacket to reveal the famous S logo.

Now SC shouldn't care what people are saying on the boards. It's like I said: You have to be used to it--that's the internet. No matter how good something you do is, there will always be those people who don't like it and bash you for it.

That being said, I like Taco Bell.

2. Avindair

Avindair Jedi Youngling

Jul 26, 2004
    Hey there --

My thoughts on "World's Finest":

What worked for me:

* Good casting for Supes. He looked and acted the part, particularly for the Rossian look they were after.

* The shot of Bats leaping onto the table during the expensive dinner.

* Good opening shot of Supes catching the car, and later flying away.

* Nice recreation of Alex Ross' artwork...even if it did seem a little TOO blatant for comfort.

* Nice handheld work in the Daily Planet.

* GREAT Supes costume. Absolutely no complaints with it.

* Great Luthor power-suit.

What didn't work:

* Bats in daytime made me wonder if he was going break into the "Bat-tusi".

* The first shot of Bats in the "thinker" pose looked forced and unnatural.

* Lois looked the part (very Charisma Carpenter-esque) but a couple of lines (especially "There certainly is,") felt forced and unnatural.

* Any of the other flying scenes. Ouch. We're talking '70s "Shazam" bad. (And for some really GOOD digital work, why didn't they remove the power lines from the one shot with Lois and Supes?)

* Lex looked the part, but his delivery didn't sell me.

* Didn't like Two Face AT ALL. Thought his delivery was flat, and his laugh was unnatural.

* Some of the framing was bland. (Bat and Supes on the roof should have felt iconic, and instead just left me wondering "Are those cirrus clouds?") I wish I could be more specific, but that was exactly my emotional reaction to some of his shots.

* The shot of the balloons falling on the crowd in the party just screamed "cheap" and "fan film" to me. I think it was the combination of relatively few balloons, and bad delivery, and a tight shot on a small crowd that left me unimpressed. (In the director's defense, I had the same reaction to the crowd reaction shot at the end of "The Last Starfighter", so maybe it's just me.)

All in all, I enjoyed the trailer. Ironically enough, I actually enjoyed it MORE than "Dead End", which, though it had some nice shots, felt like the "Kitchen Sink" of fan films. (Batman and the Joker and Aliens and Predators...oh, my!)

Regardless of my opinion, my congratulations go out to the team that assembled this piece. Making ANY film -- be it short or trailer -- is insanely hard work. They should all be commended for what they achieved.

*** out of *****

Thanks,

Tony

3. MarkyMarkFB

MarkyMarkFB Jedi Youngling

Jul 27, 2004
    The Batmobile that was used in World's Finest is a cross between the 66 Westmobile and the Mach 5. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Kcgbatman/bat-car_WF.jpg

4. Ephisus

Ephisus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    Shazam! HA ha Ha!... Ha... he... ughhh....

5. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    sweet pic, I like it

to tell you the truth I thought it was forced perspective with a smaller model, because it was such a short static shot.

6. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Very cool Batmobile...I want to see more of it in a film :p

7. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Hey, SHAZAM (Captain Marvel) ROCKS !!!!!!

In fact, they are developing a SHAZAM major motion picture. :D

SO BACK OF THE BIG RED CHEESE BUDDY BOY !!! [face_mischief]

JediTAC
    (A Fanatic CAPTAIN MARVEL Fan) :D

8. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    I read in an interview that Collora wanted the SHAZAM! script to direct, who knows, maybe he's got it...

but this time there will be no Shaq! lol

9. MarkyMarkFB

MarkyMarkFB Jedi Youngling

Jul 27, 2004
    Would have been nice to see the car for more than a second in the movie. Apparently Mark Towle built the car. Quite a talented guy www.marktowle.com Wish I could afford one of his '66 Bats...someday.

10. rogue_09

rogue_09 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    Page 5? How? So young....

11. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    When I saw "Summer 2005", I thought we'd have to wait another 8 months to see a maybe 15 minute long film. From what I saw, it would be worth the wait. I didn't realize it was a trailer only until I started reading this thread.

Overall, I give it a thumbs up. Good casting on Clark/Superman. Lois seemed a little off and reminded me a bit too much of Margot Kidder. The flying scenes reminded me of the old Saturday "Shazam" which has be rumored to be film itself someday.

Nice to see Bertram return as Batman. I didn't have a problem with Bats being out in daylight. On the other hand, I didn't like Two-face. Luthor's voice reminded me of "Max Headroom."

I'd like to see Sandy turn this into a complete film.

12. guruguy

guruguy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2002
    Well I thought this was pretty awesome. Very well done.

Most things have already been brought up and so I won't repeat them except one thing. The music. I am interested in knowing what the music is too. Why isn't this something anybody is talking about? In the Grayson thread many people were dissapointed that it used non-original music. There was even a bit of negative talk about it. The music in this trailer was great. If it does turn out to be original I think a big thumbs up is in order. Even if it is taken from something else, the fact that he found cool music that no one else in this forum can place deserves a junior thumbs up.

Anyway, congratulations to the team that put this together. An excellent effort.

BTW, It's dissapointing that so much of this thread was hijacked into personal issues about the filmaker. Similar thing happened to a Nick Hallam (BA) thread a while back. A tip of the hat to our own JediTAC since both times he steadfastly reminded everyone not to jump to conclusions and that he expected the gossip was untrue. Both times he was able to say "I told ya so" in the end. Let's remember that every one of these "bash the filmaker rumour mills" that I've seen on these boards eventually gets shot down as bunk.

13. TuxedoTom

TuxedoTom Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2004
    After watching the Batman and Superman animated movie, also called World's Finest, it seems just like a live action version of the tv movie. The only main thing is that instead of having Joker, there's Two-face.

Anyone else seen it and agree?

14. OutlawImpy

OutlawImpy Jedi Master star 2

Dec 1, 2003
    Yeah, but one needn't be directly related to the other since they're both based on World's Finest comics. But the similarities between the two weren't lost on me. With that said, the animated movie rocked and I think fanfilms are selling us short on Alfred :)

15. TuxedoTom

May 11, 2004
    I think it's more based on the animated version because in the BTS of Dead End, there is a clips of Batman from that particular arc.

I watched the trailer first then watched the movie last week and noticed lots of very similar parts. Kicked off when Superman went to fly away and Lois called him and he turns and said "Yes?".

And Where are you, Alfred??

16. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    While I am not music oriented person, I did recognize the Superman movie theme toward the beginning.

17. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    From SUPERHERO HYPE.COM

Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    EXCLUSIVE: World's Finest Interviews
    Source: Excelsior
    Wednesday, August 4, 2004

A couple months ago I was invited by Batman: Dead End director Sandy Collora to see his ?top secret? follow-up to BDE; WORLD?S FINEST.

The Collora cast & crew were holed up in downtown Los Angeles in the long abandoned Harold Examiner newspaper building. Upon arriving we (my son & I) were given visitor ID badges with our pictures and Daily Planet logo - we entered the set, a dark smoke filled warehouse doubling for a number of set-ups that day. We watched from high above as Two Face performed for the cameras, I was taken aback by the commitment and professionalism of the crew. This is not your run of the mill ?fan film? shoot. My son tagged along with me for the day, his favorite superhero, Superman was going be there and he was very excited to meet him.

Now I?ve worked in Hollywood for almost 20 years, and been on hundreds of film and TV sets, so this was no big deal for me, but I must admit it gave me chills to see both BATMAN & SUPERMAN walking around in the flesh? for a brief moment my son wasn?t the only six year old kid visiting the set.

Chris ?Excelsior? Mason was lucky enough to chat with Batman & Superman, and ask their alter egos: Clark Bartram & Michael O?Hearn some candid questions about their experiences making WORLD?S FINEST.

Clark, what has been the fan reaction (toward you) since Dead End hit last year, and was there any pressure on WF, to out do BDE?

Clark Bartram: Amazing to say the least. I think most of the fans have embraced my performance as The Dark Knight and I'm honored by that! Not really any pressure, because I know all of the parties involved. We all bring everything to the table every time so there is no expectation but excellence in everything we do. This was an entirely different project because of Supes! He made it something totally different that will capture even more fans.

It?s every boy?s dream to be a superhero, what?s the feeling when you are in the Bat & Super suits?

Michael O?Hearn: Indescribable!!!! It's...it's...it's...like I said - Indescribable!!!!
    CB: Surreal. Imagine the feeling. I can remember putting towels around my back as a kid pretending to be Batman and Superman. (now) I get do it for the world to see. I loved putting that suit on! That is way too cool for words.

Clark proved that Batman didn?t need all that rubber. Batman (in BDE) was in my book for the first time ?flesh & blood? and the fans loved it. Mike, was has been the fan reaction (toward you) as Superman?

MOH: Sandy had a lot of faith in me. I think that's why he had me play Superman. I didn't know how the fans were going to take it. The response up to this point has been incredible - Very positive. Even my worst critics, my three older brothers are giving me the thumbs up!

Clark we finally got to see you as Bruce Wayne, what stands out for you?

CB: The two beautiful girls on each arm (one was my wife, the brunette) Bruce Wayne is too cool. I hope the two seconds I was HIM on camera that it worked. He is a tough guy to be... money, looks, women, mansion, cool toys, alter ego.

Mike, I thought your scenes as Clark Kent we marvelous, who was more fun to play?

MOH: Clark Kent is fun to play. He's such a good guy, the character that is. When you're Superman, with the "S" on the chest, there's a lot to live up to. So it makes it a little tougher. A Superhero doesn't act tough, they know they are tough. So going out and acting like I'm this invincible icon, I felt was not the way to go. Superman has super powers, and he's very humble about those powers. I can go on forever... both characters were great and really brought my theatrics and acting skills to a new level.

You both have a history together, how did you both meet?

CB: He was stalking me and I had to put

18. Dark_Prowler

Dark_Prowler Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2004
    Guruguy - I am also interested in why the music hasn't been discussed much. We know the Superman and Batman themes are played at certain parts, but what are the other pieces?

DP.

19. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    they also interviewed Fiorella about Grayson on that same site, why don't you dig up that interview while you're at it... :)

20. GrgurMG

GrgurMG Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 11, 2003

"...and instead just left me wondering "Are those cirrus clouds?"

LOL.. I'll be thinking that from now on whenever I watch it. :p

As far the car, not to be too repedative of everyone else, but that is rather odd. It would seem alot of money probably went into a single shot that was much to short. Can't wait until the behind the scenes comes out, to hear the details.

Also, people have mentioned the flying in the old Shazaam (Captain Marvel) show. The funny thing is, has anyone ever seen the old Captain Marvel movie serials? The flying is actually way better/cooler in that that it was on the TV show. Though granted one would have a higher budget then the other, but it is also a substantial time different. The serials were made in the 40s or 50s. Matter of fact, the flying was better on that then in the George Reeves Superman series. Wanna know what they used? Quite often.. a simple doll/manican(sp?) flying around.. but you know what.. it looked alot better then only using bad screening ;)

21. johnny_nod

johnny_nod Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Zod does NOT approve!!

http://www.i-mockery.com/generalzod/

(seriously...cool stuff! :) )

- Johnny

22. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    GREAT trailer. the superman guy played good as superman.... but batman seemed to cheezy with that old batman outfit. and like others have said batman shouldn't be out during the day time.

Cool to see clark and lex as friends. cool stuff, to bad its not a full movie.

but likes others have said i'd make a really cool movie if i used $12k.

23. CapeandCowl

CapeandCowl Jedi Youngling

Aug 17, 2004
    Well it wasn't bad. I watched it and Grayson for the first time last week, and on the whole I liked Grayson more.

WF has some really strong points to it. The Superman suit is great - much better than Grayson's - and most of the actors looked their parts. I loved Lex Luthor. In the few scens he is on screen that is Lex as he should be. The armour was corny...but lex's armour has always been corny.
    I loved the batmobile and thought that, given the budget, the fx were pretty good. The shot of Batman jumping on that table is just sweet, vintage Batmans stuff.

But...like Dead End, I don't think it is a "definative" verison of any of the characters, particularly Batman. I still hate the batsuit. The flimsy tights work on Superman, but not on bats. The milky contacts and the cowl that sits over the cape are just plain goofy. But, then some of the Grayson costume were downright silly too - Green lantern's being the worst. If the Batsuit was my only complaint, I would let it slide. (especially since no space creatures showed up in WF like in Dead End.)

But the problem I have, oddly, is both the thing I like about the film and don't like. Bascially WF is a collection of Alex Ross inspired shots and dialoge. In fact, some of it are exact reproductions of Alex Ross comics. Add a couple of other comics in the mix and part of the Aliens trailer (batman rising over Two face) and that is the whole film.
    On the one hand, that is freakin cool. on the other it is really disapointing. I love Alex Ross books...but if I want Alex Ross stuff, i will read his stuff. I was sorta hoping that WF would be something more orginal, with more attention paid to the story. To me, it felt like the director wanted to shot some cool Alex Ross inspired shots and then built a short film around that.

Grayson on the other hand was far more orginal. It was like a strange mating of the old ABC Batman show and Dark Knight Returns. So many quesitons were left at the end of the thing like - who killed batman, why is O'Hara evil? What caused the falling out between Robin and Superman? That I really wanted to see a Grayson movie. I didn't get that feeling from WF.
    Plus, with the exception of the yello bars on the chest, the Robin costume was just better than the WF Batsuit. It didn't use foam muscles, and at the same time it didn't look like Robin was going to have a run in his tights at any moment....something the Batsuit from WF and Dead End looks like it will.

The big edge that Grayson has is the story. Like WF its a mock trailer, so it isn't going to tell the whole story. But you get way more characterization and orginal ideas in Grayson than you do in WF.

That to me, is the real weakness of WF and DE, which purport to be the way Supermand and Batman "should" appear on film. The stories are barely there. I wanted to see a whole Grayson movie but was far less interested in seeing a World's Finest movie.

24. LiamMcBrackenbard

LiamMcBrackenbard Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2004
    I hope that Im not repeating anything thats already been posted here but I just read this over at superherohype.com

World's Finest actor Michael O'Hearn had an audition for the new Superman film. Below is a brief description in Mike's own words of what happened...

"I went in on Tuesday at 2:45 at Warner Bros. and met with the casting director. They put me on tape, then last night I got a phone call from my manager who stated he talked to the casting director, and their response was they loved my reading, and they are sending me onto the next level. I hope the fans are on my side. Just to give you an update - all the people at Warner Bros. loved my size. They were all screaming out "Now that's a jacked up Superman!" The other 2 guys that were reading besides me, were both about 5'10" and 160 lbs. I think they are looking for somebody taller, because the first thing they asked me when they put me on camera was how tall I was. 6'3" - the same size as Superman."

I know there were some people here that didnt like him as Supes in WF, but personally I thought he did a pretty good job.

25. TuxedoTom

May 11, 2004
    If he works a little harder on his acting skills, i think he could do it. As for Sandy himself. I wouldn't like to see him doing a superhero movie at all. I don't think he gets the fact that what looks good in comics, doesn't mean it will look good on film, DE and WF being perfect examples.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.