main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wormholes in the SW universe

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ron corless, Nov 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ron corless

ron corless Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 1, 1999
    I think it would be neat if SW ships start using wormholes in future books to get to their destination quicker like a space battle site etc.

Hyperdrives can get ships to destinations in a few days or a few hours. But wormholes can get ships to destiantions in a few seconds.

Maybe the starship of strange design that Ben will pilot may punch wormholes on command and get to any destination whether in the SW galaxy or to other galaxies instantaneously.

There were wormholes seen in Dark Empire but nobody ever used them. I think it would be neat if say the Falcon or Luke's X-Wing got sucked down a massive Black Hole and ended up in another galaxy and encoutered an extragalctic race to help them defeat the Yuzzhan Vong. It won't happen in NJO but it's just a thought. Maybe the next generation of SW characters including Ben Skywalker,the Solo children and the grandchildren of Luke,Han and Leia will use wormholes instead of hyperdrives in post-NJO books or characters in books set 4,000 years after ROTJ to travel to other galaxies. Perhaps Zonama Sekot may have such ships that can punch wormholes through the fabric of Space-Time on command.

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Getting sucked down a black hole will only get you crushed into nothingness. I.E. or have you forgotten what happened tot he suncrusher?

3. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Yeah, and I'd much rather stick to hyperdrive.

4. peregrine

peregrine Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    The people of GFFA have been using the hyperdrive technology for more than 25000 years, I don't think something else will replace it any time soon.

5. darthjarjarbinks

darthjarjarbinks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    Valiento: "Getting sucked down a black hole will only get you crushed into nothingness. I.E. or have you forgotten what happened tot he suncrusher?"

Does a wormhole involve a singularity?

Parts of the DSII supposedly ended up in Mon Cal space after being sucked through a wormhole @ endor. (is this in DE2? I've never actually read this, just hearsay, correct me if I'm wrong). So acc. to that, going through a wormhole doesn't mean annihalation (necessarily, at least). And we can't simply discount this as, according to yourself in the Super Star Destroyer topic, each source must be given equal weight unless it is a movie.

I personally don't like the whole wormhole thing.

6. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I said blackhole, not wormhole read my quote closely please.

They are much different things.

A black hole is not literally a hole but a densest matter that not even light can escape.

As for the wormhole at endor that is in GODV.

Wormholes on the other hand are rifts in which matter can pass through freely from one position to another. It is made out of energy useally.

Before you start to try misquote me read quotes more closely thank you.

7. darthjarjarbinks

Jan 3, 2000
    I was just about to ask what do black holes have to do with worm holes, but I just realised that Corless refers to Luke getting sucked into a black hole. Don't know where THAT came from, but anyway.

8. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    He was making up one of his useally strange fanboy story line ideas. It all came out of his head, from the quote that starts out, "I think it would be neat if,..."

9. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    Wormholes are generally plot devices. However, so far, the plots of most SW novels have been able to work without them. I don't really see much of a need right now.

10. darthjarjarbinks

Jan 3, 2000
    lol@val

dev- i totally agree with that statement. Its just going to solve problems which don't need solving, such as delays in getting to battlegrounds, saving people, meeting deadlines etc. These kind of issues could potentially become irrelevant if wormholes were introduced (to an extent, anyway). How many times have heroes been just unable to make it in time to save a friend or warn others due to hyperspace travel times. Its a great plot device. Wormholes are not. They're like superweapons- they start and solve too many problems too easily.

11. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I think that it is pretty obvious that hyperspace travel is the preferred method of travel in the GFFA, and wormholes will not be introduced anytime soon.

12. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Anyone who has read gamer 9, will have more information about the endor gate, a wormhole formed by the gravity from a giant blackhole near endor now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.