main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Worn Jedi Costume Ideas

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by DarthJansen, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthJansen

DarthJansen Jedi Youngling

Nov 18, 2010
    Hows it going everyone?

Im shooting a short SW film that features a Jedi in a very battered and old costume.

Set after the great purge, he lives alone in a forest and his appearance has basically become untamed. Clothes ripped and faded.

When I first thought of ideas for this,Jack Sparrows costume came to mind with the dreads,rag clothes and whatnot.

Does anyone have ideas they can contribute towards it?

2. BPStoyle

BPStoyle Social Media Admin star 4

Jan 5, 2010
    Is this a traditional style prequel-era Jedi costume, or are you doing a custom design?

Either way, here are some suggestions:

Lots of small rips, frays, snags, and tugs. Perhaps a few oversewn seams. Take a seam ripper and rip a few seams at various places. If the character doesn't wear an outer robe, perhaps you can have various hand-sewn patches on the costume made out of a dark brown material to imply the patches came from a robe that he had.

Stains, and lots of them. Take the costume and put it through some mud. Wash it, but not with anything with powerful stain fighting stuff. Repeat. Give it some grass stains. Perhaps some (very) light misting of spray paint to give additional weathering.

Scuff the boots up good.

3. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    If you put lots of rips in a costume, make sure you stitch around the rips to reinforce them. Otherwise, the costume will be changing while you are filming and you'll have consistency problems. Just use a thread color that will blend in; the camera won't see it.

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    What BP sais. Lots and lots of weathering.

5. DarthJansen

Nov 18, 2010
    Thanks for the ideas, yes i dont want it to be traditional, so it will only resemble what once WAS a proud jedi costume

Battle-worn and whatnot

Ive got a few months of pre-production so im going to play with some different ideas,maybe trying some martial arts robes and uniforms for different looks

The actor is 6ft tall as well, and has long Tarzan-esque hair

continuity clearly plays a big issue with the clothing

is it against the rules to ask for websites supplying decent jedi costumes? reasonable priced ones?

6. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    There really AREN'T websites to buy good Jedi robes minus ebay, and even then you have to be careful of what you buy. If you want good quality costumes, you'd have to commission someone to make it or make it yourself.

I'd also look at the costumes of some of the more random Jedi. Tarzan-hair reminded me of Quinlan Vos, who's costume you could definitely base your costume off of.

[image=http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz331/kel-qui/QuinlanVos.gif]

[image=http://www.jediarchive.net/images/383px-Quinlan.jpg]

Heck, here's even the art of when Quinlan had to struggle to stay alive living in the forests of Kashyyyk:

[image=http://www.portal-cifi.com/scifi/images/cifipedia/Quinlan-Vos-sobrevive.jpg]

7. DarthJansen

Nov 18, 2010
    Quinlan Vos!

He totally slipped my mind when I was racking my brain for Jedi who have been in similar circumstances

also here is the Actor most likely playing my Jedi

He is a spitting image of Vos
    http://www.starnow.com/profile/ProfileDetail.aspx?m_id=1396805

Ive also just come across this website you should all check out ;)

custom made tunics and everything to fit your budget,Ive enquired about a battle worn tunic and im currently waiting for a response back

http://www.twinroses.com/Star%20Wars%20Inspired%20Clothing%20Portfolio.html

8. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Ah, that lady's made some of my friend's costumes. I haven't heard a super complaint about them, but I can ask my friends what they think of the costumes. :)

9. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    A great weathering tip for materials like denim is using a tape dispenser, the metal part at the end. You get great control over the level of how thin you want to make your fabric. Used the packing tape sized ones to put holes in the knees of my jeans in middle school. :D

10. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Buy or make a nice, new costume.
    Tie it to the back of a car or motor-cycle.
    Go for a drive.
    Repeat as necessary.

11. CernStormrunner

CernStormrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2000
    i always liked Wolf Sazen's robes, especially the big sewn-on patch on his shoulder:

[image=http://www.ossus.pl/images/thumb/1/1e/Wolf_Sazen.jpg/244px-Wolf_Sazen.jpg]

12. BPStoyle

BPStoyle Social Media Admin star 4

Jan 5, 2010
    The patch is a great touch as it shows his status of being a Jedi in a time when Jedi were on the hunt.

Just keep in mind that even though he was on the hunt, he was able to live in somewhat civilized places and had access (albeit limited access, surely) to fabrics or patches and was able to get something that may be close to the actual material or at least the color of the tabbards.

Someone living in the wilderness is going to be severely limited as to what materials he/she would have to work with. Mainly, the only presentable options would be part of their own wardrobe (the clothes on their back or if they had extra clothing packed away, or a bag for items/extra clothing that may have ripped, clothing or fabric found in the wilderness (left by possible campers or corpses depending on the type of wilderness you're working with), or hides of animals found in the wilderness.

I mention this because it's a small touch that'll add extra detail to your costume, and help suspend the audience's disbelief. :)

13. CernStormrunner

CernStormrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2000
    Hmm. Well, if he is stuck out in the wilderness., the only clothing options would be animal skins.

I have a book somewhere with a pic of a Ninjitsu practitioner wearing a black Gi with a fur vest over the top for warmth.

I would start with a basic Jedi costume, lose the extra bits like the Tabards and the sash, rip some holes in the costume and sew them back up with either a thick, dark thread or even better some thin leather shoelace so it looks like the Jedi had to kill, skin, and tan some native animal. a raw leather vest over top, maybe stop by a thrift store and look for old cheap fake fur coats, rip off the sleeves and buttons/zippers and fray up the bottom. or a old leather or suede jacket, rip out the lining. I soaked a thrift store black leather coat in bleach, it took the color out and left it a tan color. however the bleach disintegrated the leather, so i left it in too long or used too strong of a solution

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.