main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY Worn Out VHS Tapes...

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by LadySith, Aug 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadySith

LadySith Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2000
    Well I am on my second copy of ESB and its starting to wear out. Where the hell is the DVD!!!!???

:)

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    China.
    Japan.
    Maylasia.
    Thailand.
    Singapore.

Or, alternately, you could do what I do -- have multiple copies of videocassettes... ;)

3. thechairguy

thechairguy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2002
    "Well I am on my second copy of ESB and its starting to wear out. Where the hell is the DVD!!!!???"

I take offense to your use of "hell" in your comment, because of my religious convictions. Relax. Just kidding.

The original trilogy on DVD will show up sooner or later - once George needs to put his kids through college, I'm sure.

4. cyranodb

cyranodb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2001
    Mine have been wearing out as well. I might have to get to buying a second copy of the original trilogy on VHS. Blast you George Lucas!!!

Mike C ;)

Eh...who am i kiddin'. We love you Uncle George !!! :D

5. Mayhem

Mayhem Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    I don't even know how many copies on VHS we have..between Aysa and myself, probably around 6, including my original relaese that I paid somewhere around $60-$70 for way back when it came out. You should see how bad that copy is..including the case(I have a New Hope too that way)

6. DarthGyos

DarthGyos Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    I was thinking the same thing. I was enjoying a viewing of ANH, and was hoping that the VCR doesnt decide to eat it. I sincerely hope that they put out the Original versions first. Not a big fan of the "Special Editions".

Greedo never shoots.

Hey Georgey Boy, give us the OT now!

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Sorry DG - you're never getting another version of the movies without Greedo firing first as far as I understand it...

"A Jay and Silent Bob movie?!? That's the worst idea since Greedo firing first!"

8. thechairguy

thechairguy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2002
    ...shooting first.

9. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    I have resisted many temptaions to buy the DVDs at cons. I doubt I will survive the national in Novemeber without snagging them.

10. KitFistoRox

KitFistoRox Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2002
    DVDs rock. If you can find good ones, I heartily recommend them, they beat the VHS experience any day (though if one has the laserdiscs, you certainly can't go wrong with those either).

Note: This post does not necessarily imply my ownership of such contraband.

11. Anaquinne

Anaquinne Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    I think the bootleg DVDs are just transfers of the laserdisc, or at least they're SE, or something not worthwhile.

My plans are to get a decent laserdisc player, eBay a set of original cut (non-SE), THX-ed, letterboxed laserdiscs, get a good video capture card and fast FireWire HD, and make good digital transfers of the suckers. If anyone has any of these components already, maybe we can actually make something happen! :D

Um... (and I don't mean to be sarcastic, but) should I actually not discuss something like that on this forum? In any case, I have a set of original edition letterboxed VHS tapes that I have not touched, for fear of wearing them out. But I should do something with them before the Earth's magnetic field erases them just sitting on the shelf. :p

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Um... (and I don't mean to be sarcastic, but) should I actually not discuss something like that on this forum?

As long as you own the laserdiscs and you are making a copy for your own personal use (i.e. not for commercial distribution) I believe that it's legit to do what you describe and there is no illegal component. Selling bootlegs, on the other hand, is definitely illegal... :)

13. VLAmidala

VLAmidala Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2001
    ...but buying them is not.

so i can declare my joy at having the OT (albeit it SE) on dvd, and as long as i don't mention the source, everybody's safe. :p

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I also believe that Lauren is correct that buying them is not... ;)

15. Mayhem

Mayhem Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    *takes his collection of movies out of hiding again*
    Whew..that was close..... ;)

16. Anaquinne

Anaquinne Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    Well, I meant in my suggestion that some of us bring together varied materials to make the plan work... as I have no LD player and no LDs... and no vid capture system quite good enough. Hmm, or a DVD-RW drive [face_devil]

17. cyranodb

Aug 26, 2001
    Claire,

Oh you bad girl. ;)

Mike C. ;)

18. JawaBerry

JawaBerry Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2002
    No she's not, really.

19. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
  20. JawaBerry

Jul 30, 2002
    ?? ?[face_plain] I just meant that I don't see what's so bad about her idea. (All piracy concerns aside) Ooops! Did I say the "p" word? [face_mischief]

21. cyranodb

Aug 26, 2001
    Oh she's a bad girl. And she knows it. ;)

Mike C. ;)

22. JawaBerry

Jul 30, 2002
    Yikes. Looks like Anaquinne may have a not-so-secret admirer.

23. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    That is a given. The question is...how many does she have.

24. cyranodb

Aug 26, 2001
    Like the infinite questions of "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop?", the world may never know. ;)

Claire's a cutey patootey. She deserves some nice young guy...not an old man. Question is....who can we fix her up with ;)

Mike C. ;)

25. JawaBerry

Jul 30, 2002
    Wow, this thread's certainly taken a turn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.