main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY Worn Out VHS Tapes...

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by LadySith, Aug 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anaquinne

Anaquinne Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    ::watching quietly::

2. cyranodb

cyranodb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2001
    ROFL...OK, OK. I'll be nice....maybe. ;)

Mike C.

3. Anaquinne_Rox

Anaquinne_Rox Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2002
    ::reads through thread::
    ::reaches the end::
    ::looks at the thread title::
    ::looks at the last few posts::
    ::goes and drinks a Snapple::
    ::thinks about posting fact::
    ::reads this thread again::
    ::notices the line "Claire's a cutey patootey. She deserves some nice young guy..."::
    ::mistakes it for "Claire's a cutey patootey. She deserves some nice young booty..."
    ::sees Annaquinne watching quietly::
    ::thinks about making a retarded "Young guy/booty reporting in" comment...
    ::makes a sock::
    ::for the sake of keeping thread on subject says, "Ya, I got the newest tapes...they are still good"
    ::posts short comment::

How you doin'?1?! ;)

4. TaunWeRox

TaunWeRox Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2002
    ::looks at sig::
    ::slaps Anaquinne_Rox with glove::

Sir, you're a traitor to Taun We and such long gam'ed beauties...and I challenge you to a duel!

5. LadySith

LadySith Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2000
    The DVDS I am tempted to purchase are the ones from overseas. My question, are they copies from laserdisks or are the DVDS for sale over there.

6. cyranodb

Aug 26, 2001
    Hmm...are the newest trilogy tapes out now letterbox version or reformated from the original to fit into my crappy TV??

Mike C. ;)

PS No one's dueling in here if it ain't me!!

7. KitFistoRox

KitFistoRox Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2002
    As far as I know, there are no official DVDs for sale anywhere in the world. So, any DVDs are pretty much copies from the laserdiscs. Sam's got the first part right though...LD players ain't that expensive nowadays, it's almost worth getting one just to watch the OT (you can get both original and SE versions)...though you'd probably spend more to get the laserdiscs than you'd spend on the player. Hence, DVDs.

8. Anaquinne

Anaquinne Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    And now for something completely different. :p

I'd thought that the DVDs were all SE... which is why I wouldn't get them myself.

9. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    Ahh thanks for clearing that up KFR..the dealer I almost purchased from assured my they were legal DVDs from Japan, but I had not recalled hearing of any such animal and since I am not into Bootlegs I held out. Butt now that I am going through my second ESB tape its more tempting.

I love the quality of the LD but I don't like having to flip the thing right just as Luke And Vader are going at it with sabers. :(

10. cyranodb

Aug 26, 2001
    Ooo..that IS a bad place to put a break in the movie.

Mike C.

11. Corn_Free_Ta

Corn_Free_Ta Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 17, 2002
    The problem with the laserdiscs is they are not 5.1, some of the DVD's that are out there are remastered to work in 5.1 Gotta love those guys overseas who go the extra mile. I just met a guy who has the deleted scenes from ilm for sale from clones.

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The problem with the laserdiscs is they are not 5.1, some of the DVD's that are out there are remastered to work in 5.1 Gotta love those guys overseas who go the extra mile. I just met a guy who has the deleted scenes from ilm for sale from clones.

The Japanese Laserdiscs, IIRC, were DD5.1 which is why they get used a lot on the DV presses.

13. JawaBerry

JawaBerry Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2002
    Ooohh. OT DVD's. Have to get them a.s.a.p. I wonder where I could find such a thing. I'd sure love it if someone could tell me where...

::whistles innocently while loitering on a street corner, hoping to be approached by someone with contraband::

14. cyranodb

Aug 26, 2001
    Do you think this is a smart topic to be discussing on a public message board??

Just askin'.

Mike C. ;)

15. JawaBerry

JawaBerry Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2002
    What? Buying the OT DVD'S? Bock bock, Chicken. I like to live dangerously. Like a real scavenging jawa.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Do you think this is a smart topic to be discussing on a public message board??

Yep. Unless people here are stupid enough to actually be doing this. :)

I think we discuss it above -- it's actually not illegal to purchase the boots as far as we know, only to create them for profit. I also don't believe, under Fair Use Law, that it's illegal for a person to make a single backup (even from laserdisc to DVD) for their own personal use and not for commercial sale. Although, I am unsure what effect the DMCA has on Fair Use when it comes to this.

Plus, even were I supoenaed I could offer no relevant useful information as all I know comes from Internet rumor and sightings about the Japanese Laserdisc to DVD pressings, etc, etc. Other than the guys on the streetcorners in NYC I got no clue where to buy other than eBay.

17. cyranodb

Aug 26, 2001
    First, don't call me chicken. I don't take kindly to it. Second, I don't give a flying rodent's behind (gotta keep it PG) if you buy bootlegs or not, make them or not, or sell them or not. Do what you want. I was just trying to help everyone to keep in mind that discussing things in a public forum like this isn't the smartest thing to do and that it might get them into trouble . You all can do whatever the *&%@ you want.

Mike C. :)

18. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    I prefer to say a rat's pink shaven behind.

:)

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Second, I don't give a flying rodent's behind (gotta keep it PG) if you buy bootlegs or not, make them or not, or sell them or not. Do what you want. I was just trying to help everyone to keep in mind that discussing things in a public forum like this isn't the smartest thing to do and that it might get them into trouble . You all can do whatever the *&%@ you want.

Hey -- don't take out the chicken thing on me. :)

I was just trying to elucidate some of the finer points to people. And you know I'm not for discussing illegal things on the forums... ;)

20. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    "What? Buying the OT DVD'S? Bock bock, Chicken. I like to live dangerously. Like a real scavenging jawa. "

If I recall they ended up fried like chicken in ANH. :)

Discussing them is one thing but if ANYONE posts a link or suggestion specifically WHERE to buy them, that will be removed. it's a violation of the TOS AND the SWNYC rules. Consider it a friendly reminder! As a club, we fully respect Lucasfilm and Copyright. On a personal level, I don't condone buying bootleg products, hence why I don't HAVE the OT on DVD.

And Cyrano is speaking from a lawyer's POV regarding this and most legal matters on this forum, let's keep that in mind & respect that. :)

Thanks

21. Anaquinne_Rox

Anaquinne_Rox Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2002
    In the wise words of someone..."It's all good..."

As long as you own the stuff...and don't make a profit off of it...it's alright...right?

If I decide to rip the trilogy and then make Greedo shoot first and take out Luke's scream...and burn it to a DVD (mind you I have yet to get a burner but I will) for my own viewing pleasure...it is very legal...only when I start to sell it on E-Bay will it be illegal...

22. Corn_Free_Ta

Jul 17, 2002
    Tapes bite, I threw out my VCR when I went to school, and I can only watch DVD/VCD anyway, so the only way I can watch is...

::sounds of an extremely loud DVD menu screach in the background::

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    If I decide to rip the trilogy and then make Greedo shoot first and take out Luke's scream...and burn it to a DVD (mind you I have yet to get a burner but I will) for my own viewing pleasure...it is very legal...only when I start to sell it on E-Bay will it be illegal...

Actually, Moe, I think that's illegal too. I believe you can't modify the copyrighted material when making the backup for your own personal copy. Doing any sort of editing would be verboten, I'm pretty sure.

24. Corn_Free_Ta

Jul 17, 2002
    I just can't understand why Lucas doesn't just put out the Special Editions on DVD now. It's not like he does not have a habit of releasing newer versions of the movies. I have read over and over he is going to a Special Special Edition of the OT, but that could be 2006 and beyond. I'll just enjoy my ille*** cop***.

25. Moeskywalker64

Moeskywalker64 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 13, 2002
    "ille*** cop***"

Ok...here's what I got from that:

I'll even cop git.

Illegal Cop sht.

I'll eat a cop mit.

Illegal copy ha.

If I am wrong, dp4m, please translate...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.