main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Worried for Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by El Jedi Colombiano, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    I have to say, I from the beginning was worried that Episode VII was going to go the EU way and take on some of the worst elements from that and make it into the film. I then became more optimistic once I realized that the story was originally coming from George. Now however, with all the concept art leaks, and rumors going on, I'm seriously worried for the future of Star Wars.

Of course, it's possible that several of these are simply "concept art" and nothing more and that they won't make it to the final cut of the film. Simply by watching the behind the scenes from Episode III you can see that their where very dark and creepy concepts for General Grievous that never made it to the final cut so it's possible that the creepy masked Grave Robber won't show up like that.

However, I feel concerned that they are simply going for a fanboy-infused apocalyptic setting here and that we won't see our heroes in a better light. I still want to see some establishment of the Republic, at least a small Jedi Order, and maybe even some true understanding of the mythology of Star Wars.

All of this concept art makes me wonder if George's ideas were tossed aside.

How do you folks feel about this?

2. KINGKONG83

KINGKONG83 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 22, 2004
    At first I was very skeptic but the more I hear and see now the more I get excited.

Also cutting the bloated EU loose went a long way, no more: "who gun play Thrown? is Benedict comberpatch salad gun play Thrown? will this be before chewie died by getting a moon dropped on him by those bad guy Aliens from babylon 5? oh btw whos gun play them..is Benedict salad patch gun play them?"

3. Alex Lattanzi

Alex Lattanzi Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2014
    I don't think it's at all a bad thing that George stays out of this. I'd look at the prequel trilogy as evidence for this. I think bringing back Kasdan, the big 3, John Williams, and the inflow of tremendously talented young blood (Driver, Christie, Nyongo, Boyega, etc), is a recipe for success.
    My big big question is JJ's storytelling ability. I haven't seen much film that he's written that's made me think he's a tremendous writer (not saying he can't prove it in 7) (I do say this, however, having not seen super 8, which many say is pretty good). He can sure direct, that much he's proven, I think. The fact that he's involved in the storytelling process raises big question marks in my mind though, pertaining to his writing ability. The leaked concept art makes it seem like they may go for a darker SW (a la ESB), which is very reassuring for me (I've always enjoyed it when SW goes dark in the story).
    If JJ can prove to be a storyteller worthy of the SW universe, the pieces r in place for a hell of a SW film.

4. El Jedi Colombiano

Jun 24, 2013
    See that's the issue. Contrary to those who hated the PT, I think that George is essential for Star Wars. With Rebels, I can give it a pass, because I know I can trust Filoni.

I have no reassurance that I can trust JJ or Kasdan.

And also, I'm not a big fan of the "Darker" Star Wars. Steven Spielberg once noted that what made Star Wars special was it's innocence and naiveté, and that's vital if this franchise wants to distinguish itself from virtually every other franchise that thinks their so cool because of how gritty they are.

5. Alex Lattanzi

Oct 15, 2014
    For me, Kasdan's resume speaks for itself, particularly w regards to his writing credentials.

6. Royale w/ Codeine

Royale w/ Codeine Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2014
    Most of his biggest writing achievements were built around GL's stories.

Andy Wylde, mcgo and Luukeskywalker like this.
  7. Alex Lattanzi

Oct 15, 2014
    True. On the other hand, he didn't do any writing for the PT, which was solely Lucas, and we all know how that went.

8. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Funny, I feel the opposite. When one looks at the PT in relation to the OT, I get the impression that this post-apocolyptic (easy term to use, but one I think overstates things) look is what Lucas would have done with the ST. The PT started by showing us the galaxy before the Clone Wars and civil war; the ST will start with us seeing the galaxy in the aftermath of those wars. If it all is going to be one saga at the end, the ST has to start out this way and progress from there, IMO.

And the setting does not have to dictate the tone of the story.

Bennihana likes this.
  9. Alex Lattanzi

Oct 15, 2014
    Fair enough. It's different for everyone, I guess. The darkness in ESB is one of the reasons y it's my fav SW film (ie, the demons Luke has to face, Han's shortcoming, the cave, etc.).

10. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I am glad George will have barely anything to do with it...I lost confidence with him after the PT.

He comes up with great ideas though!

Saurion-Fett and Darth Lurker like this.
  11. El Jedi Colombiano

Jun 24, 2013
    I love Empire, don't get me wrong, And I wouldn't mind if Episode VII has some hints of darkness, but I don't want it to be taken to the point in which Luke turns to the dark side and kills Han Solo

Jedi Knight Fett and mcgo like this.
  12. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    What were his ideas? How do they differ from the ideas in the concept art?

13. Royale w/ Codeine

May 19, 2014
    Kasdan's better at dialogue. Lucas is the bigger picture guy.

Andy Wylde, Redimet, mcgo and 2 others like this.
  14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    This is an example of the "don't complain about me commiting a crime because that other guy commited the same crime" logical fallacy.

15. Alex Lattanzi

Oct 15, 2014
    Haha, I don't want that either, because that'd likely be conducive to a bad story. 7 can certainly have especially dark tones and still keep Luke a Jedi (which I'd guess would make a better story).

16. Alex Lattanzi

Oct 15, 2014
    Makes sense. Even in "bigger picture" terms, idk how well I'd say he did with the PT. Just my opinion. OT was obv a masterpiece.

17. Alex Lattanzi

Oct 15, 2014
    Would you mind elaborating on this, plz?

18. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Ha, wouldn't that make their last embrace in rotj on Endor a bitter sweet moment...

Alex Lattanzi likes this.
  19. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If you're arrested for murder, you can't point to someone else and say, "Let me go because that person also murdered someone."

20. Royale w/ Codeine

May 19, 2014
    Problem with the PT was the dialogue (mostly the romantic stuff) and his inability to direct actors. Especially when those actors are standing in front of greenscreens 90% of the time.

21. Alex Lattanzi

Oct 15, 2014
    All I'm pointing out is the SW films that Kasdan cowrote turned out well (to varying degrees depending on who's asked). The films that Lucas wrote solely on his own were rather polarizing. I don't see the logical fallacy lol maybe I'm just tired, I dunno.

22. El Jedi Colombiano

Jun 24, 2013
    It's hard to tell at this point, but I think that George may have gone in a more anti-nostalgic route

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. D.A. McCoy

D.A. McCoy Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    I'm not too worried, to be honest. Granted, I have more reservations about the possible story ideas now than I did in fall of 2012 when VII was announced, but the only thing that really would upset me is the Darth Luke thing. I honestly can't see JJ Abrams going that route, considering the fan backlash it would have. And the more I look at that concept art of the Cyborg, the more I feel it doesn't look like Luke at all (I'm almost inclined to believe it's a female character based on the close up), so until I see solid evidence of Luke saying "I'm a Sith HAHAHA" I'm not too worried.

If anything the concept art has given me a little bit of new hope (no pun intended) that it will feel like Star Wars. Assuming I'm remembering all the art, the only ones I'd consider "post-apocalyptic" would be the ones stationed on Tatooine or wherever Ridley's character is stationed. And Tatooine always has had that feeling. There are other pieces of art that really feel like the OT (Stormtroopers and TIE fighter as well as the Yavin Hangar) but there are also ones that seem PT era to me as well (Falcon in the ornate landing hangar, the new pod speeders, etc.) So I personally think it looks really good, and that the post-apocalyptic stuff is just going to be seen in the beginning of the film before Ridley goes on her quest.

Regarding George's ideas, I doubt they paid too much attention to them, to be honest (which is probably a shame, as I believe his input is essential for the making of a Star Wars story) but if they did they probably followed the ideas only briefly - I'm guessing he hasn't written a word of synopsis or ideas for the ST since the early 80's. I think it's more likely that over a couple of days, Lucas, Kennedy, Ardnt (and maybe later again with Abrams as seen in photos) and came up with something new. I'm guessing George would sit there and say something like "that's good, then this could happen" or "that wouldn't really work with the character".

El Jedi Colombiano likes this.
  24. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    The sale to Disney didn't bother me in the slightest. And then upon hearing Michael Arndt was writing the screenplay, I was nothing but very optimistic about the ST's story. Early on, I expected Luke to be the only survivor in the story from the OT. But I've accepted the way things have evolved and I'm generally very excited that we (the fans) are going to be given something special.

25. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Worried that I won't get a decent seat in the theater. Gotta get in line early.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.