main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Worried for Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by El Jedi Colombiano, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ditolus

Ditolus Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    i hope that was auto correct. cuz o is not even close to a on the keyboard.

2. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

I disagree. I don't think GL would have gone post-apocolyptic with the ST; the good guys clearly won in the OT. [face_peace] There should be more of positive outlook, like at the beginning of the PT; but this time the Republic not making the same mistakes that led to the creation of the Empire, when a new threat emerges. But then again, I don't know if the artwork or any of the rumors are true; or even if JJ has stayed with all of Lucas's Treatments. [face_dunno][face_nail_biting]

El Jedi Colombiano likes this.
  3. Lando Swarm

Lando Swarm Jedi Master star 2

Aug 9, 2013
    Worried about Episode VII? Not in the slightest. New Star Wars movies are being made, which is an awesome fact. :)
    It's been almost 2 years since the announcement without us seeing a single frame of the new movies, so it's understandable that people are feeling uncertain about VII without tangible proof that the films are actually going to be good, but I'm feeling nothing but optimism for the future of Star Wars. It looks like Lucasfilm are committed to getting it right. :D

4. kwisatzh

kwisatzh Jedi Master star 4

Sep 30, 2014
    Maybe. Maybe not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jaqen and TernianVII like this.
  5. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Well, the ST is based off of Lucas's treatments, so I think there's a good chance that the post-apocalyptic idea began with him. What some people can't seem to accept is that E6 is no longer the end of the Saga. The OT has to be revised in many ways, and this isn't, in principle, a bad thing.

6. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Right. It doesn't even necessarily mean huge controversial retcons, but what we previously viewed as the conclusion of a story is now just the close of act II. That requires looking at things through a new lens if this is to be a true sequel trilogy rather than just more, disconnected SW.

It also means that considering overall story structure, our heros need to get an *** kicking or two before the end.

Rabs, Chained Prometheus and Dra--- like this.
  7. kwisatzh

Sep 30, 2014
    BUT, they already had their tests---

[​IMG]

Dra--- likes this.
  8. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Yes, just like the doctorate in astrophysics I got for passing a test in 10th grade biology. Pass a test once, life is cake after that...nothing could possibly get harder later, right?

9. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Maybe I'm being naive, but I'm not worried in the least. I'm actually super excited and have high expectations for this next movie. It's like I didn't learn a damn thing from my disappointment in 1999….oh, well. Woohoo!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. kwisatzh

Sep 30, 2014
    Sometimes even:

[​IMG]

11. Salacious Crumbs

Salacious Crumbs Jedi Padawan

Sep 25, 2014

Bring and share food.

12. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    Its been a while since I've posted a long winded post so here it goes. I'm... so/so, at one point, I am excited very. In fact, hearing there will be more tar Wars got me back into the franchise again. My only annoyance rather than problem is almost every given opportunity, I hear about more practical and less cgi. If they go with it great, I like both and haven't got a problem as long as done properly. I just sigh every time they cram it in there. My other initial problem at first is what can this story do that can expand the mythology and feel like a continuation that started from Phantom. My guess is Lucas felt there was a story to tell that could continue without feeling force fed. hence the treatments. As far as Lucas is concerned, I do feel he was involved in the story process of the film and spoke in detail about how the story should move on and probably was confident in letting KK, LK and JJ keep the ball moving. I mean he didn't really want to be on board as creative consultant until KK asked him too. Plus I do remember there was a source from Lucasfilm about how they're keeping the script as faithful to George's story so that's nice. My guess is.. We'll wit and see, I haven't been disappointed with a Star Wars film yet and I don't intend too in the not so distant future.

El Jedi Colombiano likes this.
  13. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Actually, I kind of liked this post apocalyptic situation with the ST, because it kind of makes sense that the Galaxy would go to **** after the fall of the Empire.

14. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I kind of share your fears, but not because of the art. I´ve found most of the pretty much in line with what we were all expecting, except for the cyborg thing. What irritates me is the fact that, throughtout the months since the ST announcement, I´ve come to realise that opening a story that was perfectly closed like ROTJ was, entails some dangers that might result in disappointment.

As I always say, it is quite difficult to speculate basing our theories in rumors but, if the rumors we have are to be believed, I see this new episode as a ix between ANH and the EU. It has the very same elements that ignite the adventure (the desertic planet, the lonely hero that looks at the stars, the lost Master, the lightsaber found in the precise moment, the galactic quest...) and some clear EU influences (an Imperial trooper that changes side, Dark Luke, the Emperor resurrected...).

It´s a weird mix. Again, just based on rumors. But based on rumors I can already say that I was not expecting an imprisioned Luke, gone mad and dark, not the Empire still around, nor another super weapon, or some baddie that looks like Malgus/Plagueis.

I have totally lost the interest in the EU, as the new books and comics look terribly boring in my eyes, and Rebels is not doing it for me. Let´s hope the movies keep up.

Primetime_Jedi likes this.
  15. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    What the hell? All I did was politely disagree. I don't present these ideas as "new or innovative" but I'll tell you straight up that this is the most excited I've been about SW since 1983. And I was on these boards in the lead-up to TPM.

Unless you know the story of Episode VII, I don't think you can make that call.

As for living in a ho-hum, ordinary world and getting inadvertently pulled into a magical world of adventure, that's not some '70s nostalgia trip. It's Campellian myth-making 101.

16. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    The only thing I'm worried about is sitting next to talkers at the midnight screening cause I've waited 32 years for this movie & I want complete silence when watching it with no distractions......

17. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I'm worried there wont really be cyborgs.

18. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Unless all the copies of ROTJ featuring Sebastian Shaw as spirit Anakin have been erased from the planet, yes, you're still free to skip the altered trilogy.

Plenty do.

19. SomeoneSomewhere

SomeoneSomewhere Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 24, 2014
    What I'm hoping is that they're using Lucas's structure for the ST as just that: A framework to build the story around. That way we can still have Lucas's vision fully realized without all of the....er... questionable design choices.

As per the concept art, I'm half and half. The main thing I don't like is the focus on the destroyed Vader mask, because we really don't need the ST to focus on him. On his legacy maybe, but not so much to the point where they might as well have put Anakin as a main character again. The DR focused pictures were amazing, and while the absurd amount of cyborgs is kind of ridiculous, I'll deal with it.

Anyways, I have confidence in VII. At the very least if it's terrible it will be an entirely new type of terrible, entirely separate from the PT's brand of awful. And it means a new Red Letter Media review.

ArchStanton1862 likes this.
  20. ArchStanton1862

ArchStanton1862 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2014
    George Lucas is good at coming up with stories. That's one thing people who hate the prequels (like me) are often prone to forget. While TPM's story could have been given a bit more oomph, ATC and ROTS both covered a lot of interesting ground. It's just dialog and some of the details that Lucas has a problem with. Which is why I am extremely relieved that A. It's based on Lucas' outline, and B. It's not being written by Lucas himself. Both of those elements are essential for the success of the film. So no, I'm not too worried about where this will go. It may be a disaster, but it would at least be an interesting disaster, and if the pieces fit together it's likely to be very very good.

21. ArchStanton1862

ArchStanton1862 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2014
    You have to remember though that the concept art that was leaked is in no way representative of the whole. Among other things we never see the returning cast and only get a good look at two sets. The guy who leaked them chose the ones he thought looked best and gave them to a fan site. So the double presentation of the cyborg with Vader's helmet is just two slightly different takes on the same scene, which will no doubt be a major one but indicates nothing but that they were uncertain exactly how they wanted his face to look. I mean, you can see how his human lip is more pronounced in one of them while the other has a Dr. Doomish solid metal face and less surface detail.

I'm pretty sure the other two cyborg guys are the same character just with different concepts. It would be overdoing it to have everyone a cyborg wouldn't it?

22. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    I disagree. Sure, you can have a few battles between the Empire and Republic here and there, but with the Balance of the Force coming into play, it should symbolize the return to a more peaceful time.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    I disagree. Sure, you can have a few battles between the Empire and Republic here and there, but with the Balance of the Force coming into play, it should symbolize the return to a more peaceful time.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Who said balance was even fully achieved? Maybe it takes Anakin and then later, Luke, to fully achieve that?

25. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    My sentiments exactly. :)

Artoo-Dion likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.