main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive > Worship's Art - Updated Feb.08.07 - Mara Jade + Stormtrooper + Thank-you!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Your_Worshipfulness, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    I love it. He seems to have his mother's facial features (I base this on the Japanese coverart of Mara), but he definately has his Daddy's chin. Very nice drawing of young Skywalker!! =D=

AG88

2. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Ben! I love your interpretation. He seems to young and tranquil, yet brooding with the weight of the galaxy on his shoulders.

And I adore the chin cleft [face_love]

3. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    I can't believe I haven't checked out your work before!
    I'm glad I stopped in :) I'm going to have to make a habit of it!

4. SIUEA_DOOGUAS

SIUEA_DOOGUAS Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2004
    You have very beautiful work! I look forward to seeing more in the future! -ja

5. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Great work Suz! Love the tones, you're really busting out those darker shading tones aren't you? Well done lady! :D Love the wavy/curled hair, very pretty. I think the general concensus for Ben Skywalker is a pretty boy! LOL :D Would lurve to see some colours on this, a beautiful red for his hair would be absolutely gorgeous but I think that might just be my love for dark red hair. :)

It's wonderful to see some more work from you! I have missed your updates and fresh new arts!

6. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Your Ben looks great! He has a kind of soul searching kind of expression on his face, like he is having to contemplate something that should be easy but still is hard. Great detail with the jacket and the neckless, it really adds to the pick.

7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001

Nope, defintely didn't take things too far. You stopped just at the right point and it looks good. No over working and no muddy-ness. ;) And that was an awesome tutorial on how you shaded Madonna's face. Thanks for sharing it!

And now we have Ben Skywalker. I think you made the right choice in choosing this pose. Not a straight on portrait and it holds enough weight that you can almost feel what he's going through. It holds a lot of emotion. It also exhibits your wonderful drawing skills. Once again, the detail is wonderful(I know from your last post that you strive for that ;) ) and everything just flows together nicely - especially his hair. Lots of movement there. In the end, there is no doubt that this is Luke's son. Nice job!

8. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    [face_dancing][face_dancing]

I can see Madonna!! I can see Ben!! **kicks system unit around the room** I still can't see Jaina!!

But I will comment on the two that have finally graced my screen (...stupid computer...:mad:):

How-oh-how can I draw more like you, Suz...? Rhetorical question (not), as I study this masterpiece--the hair, eyes and flawless skintones are what stun me silly. It's like I can feel that stiff breeze on my own skin, and I can see every individual hair, lifting and swirling around her face... Amazing... Once again, this looks exactly like a b/w photo, maybe one done by Annie Liebovitz (sp...?)--it's just breathtaking in it's detail and realism and accuracy... How-oh-how can I learn to draw like you, Suz...?

**lapses into awed silence for a while, studying Ben's portrait**

This is just gorgeous--and I have to jump on the "perfect pose" bandwagon here, too: the emotion is just heavy in this, and the beautiful contemplative pose is where it comes from. I love the skin texture in his eyelids especially--just stunningly realistic--and the soft, from-slightly-above lighting here casts some beautiful shadows that unmistakably mark this young man as Luke and Mara's son: the cleft chin, the expressive lips, the deep cheekbones, the arched brows... The wavy curls of hair are amazing--I especially like the one curling strand that's curved down over his right eye...a beautiful touch. I think the choice of clothing is perfect: Ben would be his own type of Jedi, and while he might respect "tradition," it doesn't necessarily follow that he would opt for the "traditional robes." I just adore the pensive feel to this, the heavy emotion (and that, always, is one of the things that really pulls me in--the feeling in the piece, the emotion)--this young man will of course bear a tremendous expectation from others, because of his ancestry--but he must also be true to himself. A difficult balancing act for anyone--but I believe our young Skywalker will be up to the task! I just love this portrait Suz! It's just....awesome....

And believe me--I'm never going to give up trying to see Jaina!

**sits down to mutter threatening things to computer once again**

:D

FF

9. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    Wow. Can I say that you make some of the best drawings I have ever seen in my life, or have I already said that? LOL. That Madonna work... Holy crap, that has some of the best detail. I didn't think you could do that in a drawing, lol. Wonder if my drawing teacher is that good... ;) And that Ben Skywalker drawing... I can see him like that in the future. The texture is fantastic.

Sorry I couldn't post more, as I have to get ready for work soon, but I just wanted to tell you, you are still rockin the boards here. :D Good work, congrats!

10. Basement24

Basement24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2005
    Wow, I love those Emperor and Podracer Ani images. Ani's especially haunting since he's so innocent and carefree there. So sad, but happy at the same time. Brilliant stuff!

11. aurelia-acc

aurelia-acc Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2005
    What a great use of contrasts! And yet the skin tones look really smooth. I really like your job on his hair, it really fits his pose. This portrait is fantastic Suz =D=

12. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    Amazing work, Suz. Amazing work, as always. As mentioned before, your use of contrasts is amazing, and the Madonna picture (though I can't say I am a fan :p) is breathtaking. The detail is immense in all of your pictures, and you really do well to set a great mood and atmosphere in all your pictures, especially the Ben picture. Amazing work, as always. Can't wait for more! :)

~Vassago

13. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Wow! Thanks so much everyone for the great postive feedback. It's such a nice surprise to find people actually like my depiction of Ben [face_love]. I really lucked out with the reference photo on this one, as the person had some of the features I had in mind for Ben, and had a good pose that immediately caught my eye.

I love it when people pick up on a mood, and reading everyones comments on it is just wonderful! I'm really happy with the outcome of this - much happier with this one than with Jaina. (I'll probably re-do her in the future)

...Now my only worry is whether I can reproduce this likeness if I choose to do more artwork of this character. Eeeeek, I dunno...
    -----

Esira
    Yeah, I used a reference. (Perhaps I should have mentioned that above) There's just no way I could get that kind of facial detail on my own or even the pose itself for that matter. I just changed a few things here and there so that it's both different than the ref. AND so that it fits more to what I picture in my mind.

academygrad88
    You really think he's got Mara's features? I did try to give him more of a slender face, but due to the angle, I didn't know if it looked that way or not. I'm just glad that it could actually look like their son at all. I'm also thankful that Luke's character has an easily identifiable feature that I could use, lol.

JadeLotus
    Thank-you! I love it how everyone seems to think that the pose is fitting for young Skywalker. I was worried that what I picture him to be was something others wouldn't agree with, or that it would be wrong somehow. (I'm usually not so brave.)

And I adore the chin cleft
    Ah well hey - He just wouldn't be a Skywalker without the chin. :p
    Thanks so much for coming by! :)

That_Wascally_Droid
    Aw, thanks! It's always nice to see new faces. It's greatly appreciated that you stopped on in! :)

Corellian_Rogue
    Oh, I can't take all the credit for the darker tones - it was partly due to some PS tweaking. :p I normally use the program to only fix what the scanner misses, but this time around, I decided to be more playful since I could, and added more contrast. Ben's a pretty boy!? LOL! It certainly wasn't intentional, but it doesn't hurt either now does it? :D. I too would love to see some colour into this...know anyone up to the task? [face_batting] Maybe I'll try it at some point, but...digital painting just doesn't seem to be 'my thing', no matter how much I wish it was. *sighs*

Mitth_Fisto
    Thanks! I took the idea of the jacket from Luke's ESB outfit (When he goes to Cloud City) - at least the top collar part. The necklace was added on the spur of the momment rather early in on the drawing because I felt that something else was needed. (I just can't help adding detail.)

HanSolo29
    Nope, defintely didn't take things too far. You stopped just at the right point and it looks good. No over working and no muddy-ness.
    Thanks for the confirmation. ^_^

And that was an awesome tutorial on how you shaded Madonna's face. Thanks for sharing it!
    Well, I don't know if I'd call that a tutorial - it's just what I did with that particular drawing, and I don't think it was that great of an explanation either now that I look back on it. There are times where I'll choose to blend with kleenex in addition to 'finger smudging'. Kleenex is nice to use to get a nice all-around smooth skin tone, But I find that blending with fingers gives me more control on what area's should stand out (kleenex sometimes ends up taking away more detail than I want which turns into one big muted shade.) So it's really a combination - that's what I've been doing lately anyhow, the Ben and Jaina portraits being the most recent example. I'll even crack out the blending stumps once in awhile, but I usually just use those for shading lips, eyes, or something small like that, and I use them kind of like how one would use a felt marker.

I appreciate the comments regarding his hair, because I had to fill it

14. Marmida

Marmida Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 22, 2004
    :eek::eek::eek:
    Amazing, Your_Worshipfulness...
    I especially liked the costume-designs. But all of your work is FANTASTIC! The shades and such. Just perfect!
    =D==D==D==D=

Marmida

15. goddess45

goddess45 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2005
    Ben is adorable. Very nice job with him.

In my mind he's a really good mix of luke and mara. But his chin is his dad's.

Great job!!

16. Excalibur14

Excalibur14 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2006
    Your Worshipfulness!

Simply amazing!!! Your attention to detail and use of the pencil is simply amazing, My top three favs' : ben Skywalker (can definitly see the skywalker family resemblance) Leia Portrait (unbelievable character in her eyes) and your Madonna portrait (Her hair keeps it motion, almost making it in action!) Wonderful! How do you get the hair like that? (if you don't mind my asking) shade all in, then erase for highlights?? I have to know lol.

17. Giolon05

Giolon05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2005
    Very awesome Ben Skywalker, YW. The detail is incredible.

18. Your_Worshipfulness

May 21, 2005
    SIUEA_DOOGUAS
    I am so sorry! - I somehow completely skipped over your post!
    Thank-you so much for commenting! I appreciate it and I hope you will enjoy my upcoming work just as much. :) (again, sorry for missing your post.)

Marmida
    Someone else likes my costume designs?? *cheers* If I ever come up with something new, I'll be sure to post them up. Thanks for the kind compliments. :)

goddess45
    I am really thankful that people on the boards here seem to like Ben as much as I do. And there was no way I wasn't going to add in the chin! :D Everytime someone says it's a good likeness of the 'rents, I feel immensely relieved that I could pull it off at all.

Excalibur14
    [face_blush] Thank-you!

Madonna: Ye-es, that's pretty much how I did it. But Just to be clear on how exactly I 'shade' though...I'll first shade in the areas that need to be filled, but very lightly. I then go back over it, applying progessively darker shades where I deem necessary, while each time blending over the area with my fingers. As I blend, I'll also go over the areas that I leave completely white once in awhile too, then erase whatever parts I think need to remain bright. I just repeat these steps several times until I get the desired effect. Excellent way to get a great shine on hair or to give depth.

Giolon05
    I live for detail, lol. Like I said before though, I had a decent picture to work from, so that always helps. I really am so happy to know that Ben is a hit!

Thanks to all of you that have come by and taken the time to comment on my work. ^_^

Okay, before I was inspired to do the portrait of Ben in the previous post, I had already started about three other portraits. Anakin was drawn right after Jaina - I just recently got around to finishing it up...and I feel almost the same way I do about the result. [face_plain] It's...okay, but once again, I don't feel it looks much like him. I have no idea how old he was when he died (anybody here know?), but I tried to make him look like a teenager. *shrugs* Besides the chin being awful, I think I probably should have added in some more darks. No PS tweaking this time (other than the norm).

[link=http://members.lycos.co.uk/studiosifer/swfan/p-AnakinSolo-sig.jpg]Anakin Solo[/link]

- Oh, here's the [link=http://members.lycos.co.uk/studiosifer/zed/p-AnakinSoloSource.jpg]source[/link] image (my guide) that I worked from, for anyone curious.

- Suz ^_~

19. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Hmmm...the image is good, but the lighting seems off around the left eye and the mouth/upperlip. The fabric looks great! Gotta love the wrinkles in the colar, those are some things that never come out no matter how much one irons[face_frustrated] The eyes as usual are great, except that the right one seems to be reflecting from a different light source that doesn't seem to really effect any of the shadowing...Great job on the chin cleft though, and I really like the nose(another of my drawing hardships, I have nearly eight pages of noseless people or ones with enormously large snozes)

I guess this will have to go down in the records, my most critical review yet...rating, good/better than I can do:)

20. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Very nice, Your_Worship!

I can definitely see the Solo resemblance in this case. And you even threw a bit of Luke in there with his eyes and the cleft on the chin. You did a nice interpretation of him here. I can definitely see Anakin looking like this. I also have to agree with Mitth regarding the clothes and all the little folds. It really looks excellent!

The lighting does look a bit weird being so dark, but a lot of your drawings go with this style and I think it works. It creates the effect that the light is coming from behind and Anakin himself is cast in shadow.

Great job!

21. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    Wonderful job, Your_Worshipfulness! You are very talented! All of your pictures are just stunning. They look so likelife. And they all show emotion which is just great. The lastest picture of Anakin Solo is so cool - you really see his personality! :) Oh, and I think your rendition of Ben Skywalker makes him look quite good... [face_mischief]

22. Corellian_Cutie

Corellian_Cutie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2005
    hi, i don't think we've met....(extends hand)

wow. this is great stuff!

i love ur princess leia.

and ur anakin (solo) =P~ i might be seeing things, but that little smirk? total awesomeness.

23. aurelia-acc

aurelia-acc Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2005
    Great portrait Suz =D=
    I really like the way you work with dark tones, my artworks are always too light.
    Maybe it's just me but i think the left part (right side of the screen) of the area between his nose and his mouth should be darker to fit the other shadows.

24. Your_Worshipfulness

May 21, 2005
    Mitth_Fisto
    Aw, darn it, you're right - the lighting is off. Thanks for the pointer. Same goes for the lighting in the eyes. Sometimes I get sort of...confused when I decide to change things around. Other times, I forget that when I change something, I have to fix up other areas so that it makes sense. :oops: Have to really work on that. Lol @ the wrinkle comment. I didn't want the shirt to look so plain and decided that wrinkles would kind of hint that maybe he gets into youthful mischief. (show some of his father's scruffyness maybe-?). *shrugs* I just found it fit him (at least in my mind, don't know how to explain it.) I can't say I feel the same way you do about the chin though. As for noses,trust me, I have my problems too, lol. I have a tendency to make them too long. The only thing that's helped me is flipping through mags to study from, especially to get different shaped ones for a little diversity. Thanks again for the helpful pointers. :)

HanSolo29
    The more earlier portraits tend to be on the dark side, but I've tried to watch myself from doing that in my more recent attempts by going for more simple lighting on the skin. So hopefully those will look better (And make sense :p) I'm afraid that the folds are the only thing that I like about in this one though. Personally, I think I should have followed the Jap Cover look a little more, but that's hard to do if you don't have a picture on hand to look at (I don't really like working off the comp.) But as long as you see some sort of resemblance, I'm happy. Thanks a bunch. :)

Adi_Gallia_9
    Thank-you! [face_blush] I'm very happy with Ben :D, not so much on Anakin, but glad to hear that some personality came shining through despite that. Thank-you for taking the time to look through my artwork.

Corellian_Cutie
    Why, Hello there. *shakes hand* :)
    Yes! You are not seeing things. ;) I decided to add a small smirk rather late into it, and due to the heavy shading, I couldn't really do much. I thought it might have been too subtle. Thanks for coming by and dropping a comment. ^_^

aurelia-acc
    I really like the way you work with dark tones, my artworks are always too light.
    Actually, I think I go a bit overboard and need to tone it down somewhat to find a better balance. Well, I wouldn't say that your's are too light. It's just my personal preference to try to get in some darks here and there. And, yeah, the shading there should be darker. - Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Aurélia. :)

Much thanks to everyone. I really appreciate the helpful crit. [:D]

Next up is Mirax Terrik Horn. (Kind of odd considering I know zip about her character.) A long while ago when I was flitting trough some fan fics, I came across one in which she was at least semi-featured, and she came across to me as very fun and outgoing. So when I found this picture of a girl smiling, I thought it would suit her character. Anywho, I made the attempt to colour it...which resulted it me fixing some things, so the two are slightly different.

[link=http://members.lycos.co.uk/studiosifer/swfan/p-Mirax-s.jpg]Mirax Pencil[/link]

[link=http://members.lycos.co.uk/studiosifer/swfan/p-Mirax-col.jpg]Mirax Colour[/link]

Thanks for stopping by and comments area always appreciated. ^_^

- Suz ^_~

25. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    [face_hypnotized] Wow! Just wow! *is unable to say more*

*tries to make mouth shut* *fails* :eek: *continues to stare*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.