main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Worst CGI moment in ROTS

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Darth-_Kermit, Oct 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-_Kermit

Darth-_Kermit Jedi Youngling

Oct 16, 2005
    Simple question: Which part of the movie had the most glaring example of CGI that was so bad it brought you out of the movie?

For me it was the hatchet job done to Commander Cody as he returned Obi Wan's
    light saber. Both shots, the Boga's-eye view as he returns the saber, and the next shot
    from the ground level, were pretty weak IMHO.

For the record, I thought 98% of the CGI was *fantastic*!=D=

2. darth_ral

darth_ral Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2004
    i think this is a really good topic, but unfortunantly i cant give my honest opinion until the dvd comes out....

3. jedipadawanjoe14

jedipadawanjoe14 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 7, 2005
    the only thing that jumped out at me as CG was when dooku fliped over the railing and took out his saber, it looked sorta fake, cool, but fake

4. bloodbrother23

bloodbrother23 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2005
    Pretty much the same as you Darth-_Kermit, I too loved the cg, but they somehow couldn't pull off the cg body for Morrison, whihc is strange, cause Kung Pow did it and they pulled it off, but hey, MAybe the dvd will change the twitchy look.

5. AnakinBrego

AnakinBrego Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2004
    For me it was the lighting in Grievous' inner workings, they just didn't look right, like the light didn't hit it right. Commander Cody's head on top of the body didn't look good, but I read that the CG bodies were taller than Temuera Morrison so they had to raise his head up to fit on the CG body. This will always be a problem with me, CG characters never look like they're touching the ground, like the Bogga and the Clones feet, but that's a technical matter, even Gollum had that problem. Oh and yeah Gc skin moves around to much, but the technical guys are working on that in the idustry, actually the Boggas skin didn't move in the Cinefex magazine somebody talked about that!

6. JediCouncilMaster

JediCouncilMaster Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 23, 2005
    The one i hated was when Palpatine twirls in mid-air and when he flips backward and forward again. And if you look closely his face is CG'd. Poorly done.

7. sccrman95

sccrman95 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2004
    IMO Dookus flip over the railing.

8. OMoT33

OMoT33 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2004
    For me it had to be obi-wan getting tossed to the railing by Dooku, when you see him flying across the camera. Not only did the shot look liek crap, but it was the most blatently CGI moment of the movie.

9. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I agree. Very bad shot. Obi-Wn looked like a CGI'd Raggedy Ann doll there.

10. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    dooku's head when he is choking obi wan,in the picstures thread you will find the pic.

11. woodlebert1

woodlebert1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 17, 2005
    for me its the part when obiwan gets thrown across the room by dooku, as he "flies" then lands and is crushed by the walkway, it looks terrible. his body doesnt move when he is crushed...:S

also, a little something that bugs me from that scene..not strictly for here but...just before obi wan slices the two droids they fire at him but he dosnt move his saber, he just runs at them and all the shots "luckily" bounce off his saber

part from that great movie!

12. Death-Vader

Death-Vader Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2002
  13. Darth-_Kermit

Darth-_Kermit Jedi Youngling

Oct 16, 2005
    >>dooku's head when he is choking obi wan,...

...funny that I did not sense this. Gooooooood, SithRules70.

>>>for me its the part when obiwan gets thrown across the room by dooku, as he "flies" then lands and is crushed by the walkway, it looks terrible. his body doesnt move when he is crushed...:S

Talk about a raggedy-ann doll, he does indeed just lie there! A poorly thought out chain of events, no nervous system response to a crushing object...(albeit he wasn't actually crushed)[face_worried]

14. darth_Boba

darth_Boba Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    The only thing that really annoyed me was Commander Cody, but not because of real head/CG body. It's the fact that when he has Obi-Wan's saber on his belt before handing it back to him, there's nothing for the saber to clip onto. It's just sort of hanging there for no reason. Unless his belt had magnets (which I doubt, because they would probably interfere with his other tech), there's no way for the saber to stay there.

15. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    When Obi-Wan is going to Utapau and the clones CGI heads on the Starship. Thats the only bad CGI in ROTS.

Emporer Gerner Dark Lord of the Sith

16. war_monger

war_monger Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 26, 2003
    Definitely the unhelmeted clones. What gets me isn't that the CGI was bad (although it was), but that it was unnecessary. Just build a suit.

17. obi1andreasen79

obi1andreasen79 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2005
    I gotta agree with the clones bodies....it was noticable. I thought Anakin and Obi floating on those things in the lava looked a little fake too.

18. Star_Wars_Freak_2006

Star_Wars_Freak_2006 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2004
    Grievous's eyes never looked real to me. ANd the eyes are the most important part of a CGI character because it's where you look when you regard someone. Same goes for Gollum, his body was great but eyes looked fake.

19. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    When the ship is crash landing in Courascant at the beginning, and the camera zooms into the ships windshield and you see Anakin, Obi-wan and Palpy. It looked awful.

20. Jedi_Master_Eric

Jedi_Master_Eric Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 14, 2005
    I disagree... I think the crash landing camera zoom was handled nicely.

One thing that has always annoyed my was Grievous's stupid lttle click-clack "insect" crawl on Utupau.

21. DarthCryptus

DarthCryptus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 4, 2004
    When dukoo flips over the railing and some CGI in Mustafar looked bad.

22. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I think that Dooku's flip over the railing could have been made to look cleaner.

23. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    THe clone troopers with the heads pasted on were pretty, strange but it wasn't too bad.

The moment for me came w/ Obi-Won's dragon. It is very well done but looked so goofy and sounded wacky that I was taken out of the movie for awhile. "Too much." but that said it was very well done, the best CGI creature to human interaction I've seen, but the Crab in AotC looked more realistic.

OH! The an addition to the worst has to be Grevious' cape! Why did they make it green? It also looked very "CGI" as he walked around. I should have known that CGI fabric would have been popular in RotS after hearing the graphics guy melting over the Dex's Diner 'hug'.

24. thegreenguy

thegreenguy Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2005
    When Dooku throws Obi-Wan and he hits the railing, falls to the floor and then his body *slids* on the floor when the balcony falls on him. Worst CG moment, by far. For one, the way he hits the rail looks really awkward, and if a balcony fell on you I don't think you would slide, I think your leg would be crushed!

25. JediCouncilMaster

JediCouncilMaster Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 23, 2005
    I agree with you totally. It looked so retarded when he 'slid' resulting from the broken balcony. But i have to see the Palpatine vs Posse fight was too poorly done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.