main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Worst CGI moment in ROTS

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Darth-_Kermit, Oct 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    Best CGI for me was the space battle and the crash landing on Coruscant with the ship falling apart in the atmosphere......tearing down the runway etc.

2. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Anyone who thinks you can make movies decades apart and then pass them off as a saga is fooling themselves. These trilogies couldn't be any more different from each other if they tried!

The two trilogies were ALWAYS intended to be different from one another.
    Lucas said that in an interview in STARLOG magazine in 1985.

On the other hand, they have much in common as well.
    The same prologue style at the beginning.
    Same producer, same composer, same special effects company,
    same droids, many of the same planets.

The episodes are numbered one through six. It's a saga.
    When the individual episodes were produced is irrelevant to me.

CGI? It all looked good to me in ROTS.
    There was never a moment where there was bad CGI
    that took me out of the movie, and so I could call
    it a successful efx movie.

3. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    ^^^^ You are entitled to your opinion, I am entitled to mine. Thank you very much.

4. Jonger1150

Jonger1150 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 25, 2005
    And you still won't see it as it was meant to be seen untill HD-DVD comes out.

5. Darth-_Kermit

Darth-_Kermit Jedi Youngling

Oct 16, 2005
    I, too, thought the opening space battle effects were the best. Only problem, in all three theaters I saw the movie in, there was noticeable motion blur as Anikin's and Obi Wan's ships darted and danced. I can't wait to see it sans the streaks on DVD in two weeks.

I also thought the fighters, etc, buzzing outside the Invisible Hand's observation tower windows as the dynamic duo first approached the shackled Palpatine was well done. It put me there.

6. CloneCommander07

CloneCommander07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2004
    The opening battle was definitely a strong point.

I don't know if anyone else saw it but during THE DUEL when the platform topples over and they're trying to take cover from the lava fragments, but I thought I coould see the gray outline of their figures just a little bit. Not quite 100% sure though.

7. DINVADER_RETURNS

DINVADER_RETURNS Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2003
    Anyone who thinks you can make movies decades apart and then pass them off as a saga is fooling themselves. These trilogies couldn't be any more different from each other if they tried!

Your argument is a lot harder to make with the SE enhancements of the OT.

As for the person who said Kashyyk looked faked, it was actual Thailand footage combined with models and some CG as seen on the Siggraph real on HYPERSPACE.

8. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I have NO PROBLEM seeing it all as ONE SAGA...IMO, NOW with the OT DVDS, now with just as clear of a picture as the Prequels, and the enhanced effects and cg additions it flows together VERY well, and are not THAT different! JUST FINE FOR ME!!! (again IMO) NOW, once they FIX ALL the lightsaber effects ONCE AND FOR ALL once the "hexology" is released, it will be PERFECT! (AGAIN, IMO-so NO bashing.)

Well, it's all so great-I had to think about this one...

I personally think the "Dooku Flip" off the railing on the Invisible Hand shot was awesome!
    Also, I thought grievous' eyes were done quite well...and the Clonetrooper heads werent THAT bad...

OKAY - REALLY...I think the ones that bothered me were:

-the shot where Grievous became the six-legged thing crawling...it's a BIT too much-not really "Star Wars like"...
    -when Obi-Wan was lying down and dooku used force power to make that railing section fall to pin him down...this wasn't really for image quality, but rather, believability. That thing looked HEAVY-like it should have smashed his legs!!

I guess that's about it...

9. DINVADER_RETURNS

Mar 10, 2003
    the shot where Grievous became the six-legged thing crawling...it's a BIT too much-not really "Star Wars like"

I never have understood, that just because something happens in a SW film that hasn't happened before is un-StarWarsy.

10. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    WHOA, cool it all DOWN!!!!

wee wee whaa whaa...

I'm SORRY for enjoying continuity-in story and style...

MAN........try rereading my post instead of attacking me for ONE PHRASE...I'm on your side...besides, I said "IMO, so NO bashing"...but...FORGET that I guess...Guess I am not entitled to an opinion...

11. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002

I think some people have been watching their poor quality ROTS downloads. :p

Seriously, I noticed alot of things in TPM, to much in AOTC but there was absolutely no time during ROTS that I sat their and said "Great a video game cutscene."

Sure I'll nitpick when I've watched it a million times but I rather rate the effects on my first impression.

12. AwesomeMe

AwesomeMe Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2005
    WHOA, cool it all DOWN!!!!

wee wee whaa whaa...

I'm SORRY for enjoying continuity-in story and style...

MAN........try rereading my post instead of attacking me for ONE PHRASE...I'm on your side...besides, I said "IMO, so NO bashing"...but...FORGET that I guess...Guess I am not entitled to an opinion...

No one attacked you. Chill.

13. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    ...................AS YOU WISH.....................

:rolleyes:

14. STUBRIS

STUBRIS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    I've got John Knoll's "365 DAYS" book (which is completely brill by the way!)..and just looking through the prequel stuff, you'd be suprised at how many models and minatures were used for these movies, TPM especially....that said, Tem Morrison looks crap in that CG clone suit.

15. darth_zom

darth_zom Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2005
    I too loved the space battle sequence at the beginning. If only 1/4 of AOTC had been in such vain, we'd all have been cheering about how awesome AOTC was. I felt the full-blown dogfight sequences were one of the key missing elements from the OT that many wanted to see in the PT and were only hinted at in TPM and AOTC. Thankfully, ROTS antes up. The CG throughout the entire scene (excepting the Dooku flip) from the opening to the crash landing of the IH was outstanding.

16. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I agree with the first page of posts dealing with Commander Cody. His head didn't seem to fit or move right. And DEFINITELY the unnecessary flips from Dooku and Palpatine. Not only did they look bad, it was sort of ridiculous. Palpatine's flip was ABSOLUTELY unnecessary (I can forgive him lunging at the Jedi posse, but when fighting Mace it was totally not needed to have him do that flip off the step or his desk, whichever it was. Especially since he only went about a foot. And as for Dooku, I think it would have been much cooler to have him walk patiently down the stairs instead of simply flip.

Keep in mind, I loved ROTS.

17. WitchKing66

WitchKing66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2005
    although i like SE of the OT; god borbids if Lucas decides that during one of the duel Darth Vader there HAS to do jump by vader, much like Palpatine did at the end of Mace duel;

u see the problem with Sidious thing is; his fighting style with mace DOES NOT much with that of Yoda; sure sure, EU will say there are different style for different opponant .. blah blah blah

but i see Sidious/Yoda duel, i see focus and intensity and i see an evil sidious
    when i see the mace/Sidiosu duel, i see an old man that sometimes trips over his tail; as muchas i think Sidious stabbing lunges were idiotic, atleast for consistency let Sidious do couple of stabbing lunges to Yoda....

the way they explain the difference between Sidious/Yoda duel and mace/Sidious duel, they based on "Sidious has many styles" ==> what they mean is that in mace/Sidious duel, he is played by an old man that cannot do fencing, but for the Sidious/Yoda duel, since he is CG except couple of headshots "so he is using is highe style of combat".

18. DINVADER_RETURNS

Mar 10, 2003
    But Mace was a 6'5 man, Yoda is a 2'6 creature.

19. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    Well, I never thought that the lava was real at any point. I knew I was watching a sci-fi movie. Strangly, I was proven wrong when I found out that they actually did film real lava to incorporate into the scene. The moment that Anakin jumps onto the droid does nothing to the "realisticness" of the lava that hadn't already happened. If you are refering to the blue glow under the droid, that's the energy shield that protects the droids from the heat.
    I think the realism of this scene is about as good as it can be at this point in time without actually fighing on a real lava planet...but of course none of it is real anyway, so might as well just calm down, and enjoy the fun.

You make some good points, yoshifett. The thing about a science-fiction picture such as "Revenge of the Sith" is that the more fantastical elements which constitute its whole cannot be subjected to the same level of scrutiny that one might apply to a film which attempts to cultivate realism. "Sith" is manifestly unrealistic, and thus demands to be judged on a different plane, with a very separate and distinct set of guidelines; because the look and tonality of "Episode III" are heavily stylized, one must consider the special effects as they exist within the context of the film, not in relation to a completely disparate series of critical abstractions. There are effects in the film that do not work, exactly (the superimposition of Ian McDiarmid?s head onto that of his stunt double, for instance), but they are unsuccessful within the parameters of a specific sort of framework.

The funny thing is, there were more models used in the PT than the OT, and many times when people are "so sure" that something is CG, it turns out to be a model, or even the real actor. But it's all fake. We're going to have to suspend a certain amount of disbelief here. There's no such thing as an astromech droid. This is fantasy, get lost in it, that's the point.

That?s correct. In most cases, though, the physical models are combined with CGI environments/models in order to achieve a particular "look" through complex layering.

"We started pushing a lot of things that didn't have to be computer graphics into other techniques," says John Knoll, the only visual effects supervisor to work on all three prequel films. Contrary to a popular yet mistaken notion, Episode I had more miniatures constructed and filmed than the entire original Star Wars trilogy; it wasn't all computer-generated effects." - Homing Beacon #146

In some cases, like the high speed desert landscapes during the Podrace, miniature use wasn't possible. "The miniatures would have to be so enormous to cover that much terrain that we couldn't afford to build them," says Knoll. Instead, Episode I employed a hybrid solution developed by Knoll and matte painter/modelmaker Paul Huston. It combined very detailed photographs of miniatures wrapped around simple low-res geometry that a computer could easily handle.

"In essence, you're using the computer graphics as an image warping tool rather than a rendering tool," says Knoll. "The frames looked very realistic becaus at any one time, 80 percent of what you're looking at is a photographed real object."
    - from the latest Homing Beacon

the movies as two separate trilogies. Anyone who thinks you can make movies decades apart and then pass them off as a saga is fooling themselves.

That is not inherently true. If you wish to consider the matter from an entirely theoretical position, namely one that adheres to Eisenstein?s theory of montage, in which the juxtaposition of uninflected images in a successive manner allows a story to unfold, it isn?t the image which gives shape to the story, but rather the editing, or montage. From that perspective, the individual shots, which are not intrinsically connected (in terms of when, and sometimes where and how they were captured), can be assembled to give the person watching them the idea of a particular feeling, when juxtaposed in succession. The shots, then, are at

20. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    [/b] but i see Sidious/Yoda duel, i see focus and intensity and i see an evil sidious
    when i see the mace/Sidiosu duel, i see an old man that sometimes trips over his tail[/b]

Proof that Sidious was faking it.

21. Unkar's Muffins

Unkar's Muffins Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    Worst CGI moment?

When Anakin jumps across the room, lightsaber lit, at ObiWan in the Mustafar control room.

Chémus likes this.
  22. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    The scene where Palpatine's face transforms via CGI.

23. theN00_Jedi

theN00_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    Um, I don't think that was CG, It didn't look like a gradual morph, it looked like they just intercut footage of him with/without the prosthetic makeup.. I supppose ILM could have whipped up when of their famous 'Digital Faces' that they use to cover up the stuntman,
    but it didn't look like that's what they did here...

Just a simple intercutting of makeup/non-makeup face, with a few scorth marks and brusies post composited in

24. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    The worst CGI moment in RotS? Hmmm... It would have to be by far the helmetless Clones. I mean, when they moved it looked horrible, IMO. It wasn't top-notch CGI work like we're used to. Other than that I don't have a problem with any of the CGI work in RotS, just those Clones.

25. lordvicious

lordvicious Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2005
    Agreed. GL's confirmation was definitely not the sense that Gillard thought the way the scene should be filmed.

Sidious' flips during the fight were put in for one reason...to set up that he was on par with Yoda (the Master Jedi) in lightsaber battle before they fought.

Mace was a tool. A relatively minor character unfortunately cast with a major actor.

Back to the topic: I have two...Dooku's somersault off the balcony did not look quite right and then Palpatine's face replacement during the battle in the hall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.