Worst DVDs of All Time and Missed Opportunities

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Admiral Maciejewski, May 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admiral Maciejewski Jedi Master

star 4
    Being a guy who has a lot of DVDs (over 200), I have seen a lot of BAD DVDs and missed opportunities.

Highlander: Directors Cut ? This was the first edition of the film out, and had a soundtrack that was so god awful you could not hear the dialog at all. The music was blaring though. How it got the THX certified logo is beyond me.

Batman and Batman Returns: Okay, missed opportunity since Tim Burton does a lot of commentary tracks. It looks okay, but the special features are god-awful. It needs to be revisited.

What DVDs are horrible to you, and think people should avoid or think should be better?
  2. -_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Bottle Rocket, hands down.

Wes Anderson's directorial debut deserves a Criterion Edition like his other two films, Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums.
  3. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus

star 6
    I was pretty dissapointed with the Windtalkers and Black Hawk Down DVD's when they came out, being that I'm a huge war fan and really enjoy watching war film "making of" documentaries. But I'm excluding them from the list.

Windtalkers just came out with a three disc special edition featuring a whole lot of extras, and Black Hawk Down is suppose to come out with a three disc special edition this June, so I can't complain.

I was also very dissapointed in the Titanic DVD. Great picture and sound quality, but other than a trailer, there were no extra features. I wanted to see some documentaries and information on the making of the film. I hope they come out with a special edition some day.

All in all there hardly are any DVD's I own that I've been dissapointed in.
  4. DarthMak Force Ghost

star 5
    Batman and Batman Returns

Those were a couple of the oldest DVDs. But yes, they need special edition treatment.

However, my opinion is that barebones DVDs are perfectly fine. As long as they are cheaper. I mean, for big movies like Star Wars and LOTR, documentaries and behind the scenes footage is very nice. But other than that, i'd rather pay less for barebones DVDs if it's only the movie i'll watch.
  5. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    Highlander: Directors Cut ? This was the first edition of the film out, and had a soundtrack that was so god awful you could not hear the dialog at all. The music was blaring though. How it got the THX certified logo is beyond me.
    About that one...

You're actually referring to the *DVD port* of the far superior 1996 laserdisc release, which -- up until last year's "Immortal Edition" DVD -- was still the gold standard for the title, and was terrific even by today's high-end DVD standards. Essentially, what happened was, when the producers turned the film over to the original DVD house for mastering, they seriously ****** up the MPEG-2 compression for the picture transfer, resulting in a gloriously sloppy, half-assed mess, with even worse tinned-out sound quality, with the dialogue being completely drowned out by the music balance.

(And as a slight aside...the "THX" certification now simply means optimum *sound* quality, rather than both sound AND picture, as it did back in the laser days...and this one didn't even deserve it... :mad:)

Quite frankly, I was incensed, as they'd not even fully ported over all of the laserdisc features, *apart* from the crap hatchet job done to the movie itself. Thankfully, when Anchor Bay re-released it last year, they turned out a really nice new anamorphic transfer that sparkles, and I can certainly rest easier now with the entire package as it exists today.

No partial profanities allowed.
  6. medleyoz Jedi Master

star 4
    Deuce Biggalo had no special features at all so this is a bad DVD
  7. rodan70 FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 4
    The American Version and distrubutionof ANY Godzilla movie!!!! They have so may good Behind the scenes that I've seen on the imported videos, but not on the American DVD's. That really ticks me off! Godzilla 2000 was pretty cool though
  8. CountBakufu Jedi Knight

star 2
    Blade Runner - one of my and many others favorite film and you don't get jack squat.
    Yes, it's the directors cut but there is nothing but the production notes and choice of full & wide screen. A shame...

9. Obi-Wan McCartney Force Ghost

star 5
    David Lynch's TWIN PEAKS - FIRE WALK WITH ME.

I mean, this was the last installment (or first, since it was a prequel-movie) in a cult classic tv show that had perhaps one of the GREATEST cliff-hangers of all time as it's final episode.

The thing about the movie is that even though it was good, it didn't answer anyone's burning questions about the series finale, and it gave us tons more questions.

But the thing that really irks us is that like 2 or 3 hours was cut out of the movie, containing priceless footage of many of our favorite charecters from the TV series. In addition, there were more scenes that took place in the mysterious time-less Lodge, and the DVD really should have included the cut scenes that dealt with what happened to our freaking HERO Agent Cooper at the end of the series, as no one REALLY knows.

I mean, a TV series where people love every dull word, a cliffhanger series finale, and they DON'T give you hte 2-3 hours of CUT FOOTAGE from the feature film!?! They don't include ANY quality extras?

10. Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Master

star 4
    Adding to what CountBakufu said, I thought, by now, there would be a two disc Bladerunner set that comes with the director's cut and the original theatrical version, which has many differences and contains Harrison Ford's voice-over narration. It would be great to be able to watch both.
  11. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    I'd say Black Hawk Down. There's nothing wrong with the movie, but the DVD has nothing on it. There is a 3-disc set coming out June 3rd, with a lot more features on it.
  12. Jedi Daniel Force Ghost

star 5
    I think the worst DVD picture of all time is the 1984 Dune movie by David Lynch.

The biggest let down on DVD extra features to me was Black Hawk Down but I will be getting the 3 disc collector's edition soon.
  13. Eugene_Meltsner_AIO Jedi Master

star 4
    A couple of Joe Johnston films that I have not seen on DVD yet, but have seen reviews and bonus features listings for:

The Rocketeer: Not a good transfer, with mediocre video and audio. Widescreen, though. No bonus features except for a theatrical trailer (was that even on there?). Some good opportunities for documentaries (ex.: Special Effects, the original comic books, etc.), commentary would be cool, and considering that there was only an obligatory soundtrack that didn't have near all the music and a rerelease isn't likely, isolated music score would be an awesome thing to have. Didn't have a good box office, but there was so much that could've been done, that this was a missed opportunity for a great DVD.

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids: I understand this one didn't even have WIDESCREEN! Was it originally fullscreen or something? Seriously, that's pathetic. And there was so much special effects for the giant attic, kitchen and backyard, there could be great behind the scenes stuff, perhaps even a commentary. Widesreen format would be nice.

14. Kueller Jedi Master

star 4
    The Ring should have had some kind of features. The deleted scene video was cool, but there was no BTS stuff at all, only trailers for Catch Me if You Can, Ring, and the 8 Mile dvd.
  15. Jango313 Jedi Master

star 4
    Any Batman DVD. They do not have anything! Except stuff on the actors and how they made the props!
  16. Vaderbait Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I heard about two years ago (When I bought my BladeRunner DVD) that they would be making a "special edition" in the future.

They haven't yet and I haven't heard anything. :(

_________

I hate it when they put trailers to other movies on DVDs. I don't know why, I'd just rather have the trailers for the movie I'm watching.
  17. Obi-Kedobi Jedi Knight

star 1
    Trainspotting - such a good film with average video and sound quality and zero extra's.
  18. Mertroid Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The Ring was horrible! Bad features and everything! Boo to it!
  19. PlastiqPhantom Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I agree, The Batman DVDs need a treatment.

I also wish that they would've done a Richard Donner Cut for Superman II considering he directed 70 percent of the film.

I'm glad that Black Hawk Down has a Special Edition coming out.

I wish Mission Impossible had some special features, same with the film Face/Off, hopefully John Woo will eventually do a commentary for what I consider his best american film.

I really wish The Matrix had a lot more because it's such a good movie with so little to offer on the DVD other than how they did some of the special effects. Hopefully there will be a 7 or 6 disc set of all three Matrix films in the future.

Finally, I really wish that True Lies had some extra features, considering it's one of Arnold's and Cameron's coolest films.
  20. Admiral Maciejewski Jedi Master

star 4
    True Lies is being revisited by Fox. It was intended for the Five Star series before the got rid of that line, but they are still bringing it out in as a special collectors edition.
  21. AssassinDroid21 Jedi Master

star 4
    Ali was horrible. Good movie, but absolutely nothing on the DVD.
  22. Sara_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 7
    Titantic was the worst one I've seen. The film was great of course. But there was zero special features. You think it being the highest grossing film ever, the DVD would have been at least a bit better.
  23. Admiral Maciejewski Jedi Master

star 4
    Titanic was not even anamorphic. Titanic had a real bad DVD, and they are supposed to be coming out with a new disc, but like that will ever happen.
  24. Blast Jedi Knight

star 3
    I own the Walt Disney Treasures:Disneyland USA set because Im a big disney fanatic.I felt they really missed the oppertunity to put some amazing special features on this dvd set.None the less its still a great set though,just one with sub-par special features.
  25. Jedi-Monkey Jedi Master

star 4
    The Batman discs are terrible with their complete lack of content. I was also disappointed by the Battlestar Galactice DVD. Once again, lack of special features kills the disc. What a shame.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.