main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Worst ending in a Star Wars movie ever.

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Ree Yees, Jun 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    I just watched the film for the third time, and I am amazed at how GREAT the first 1:08 of the flick is, and how INCREDIBLY BAD the rest is.

The ending is perhaps the worst piece, for several reasons.

First, why assume that Anakin and Padmé had to get MARRIED? Couldn't they have gotten the kids without getting married? Including a marriage is completely unbelievable, because nowhere in the film does ANAKIN do anything that could make PADMÉ fall for him, or actually marry him. With a creepy robot hand none the less.

The scene isn't really rousing either, the music tries to, but it doesn't really work, it's just two kids and two droids in boring surroundings.

Worst of all, the ending doesn't make me excited about the next and final episode at all.

2. Lord_Coras

Lord_Coras Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
    it's just two kids and two droids in boring surroundings.

Just like Empire, huh? ;)

3. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    I disagree, but I do feel you're entitled to your view. Others on the other hand will probably commence with the flaming....

*hands Ree Yees flame proof shield*

[face_mischief]

4. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Ending of AOTC = Millennium Falcon

Ree Yees = Captain Needa

The ending wasn't supposed to be rousing, Ree Yees. It's a tragic love story, one that we know is doomed even without knowing what happens to Anakin. And if you don't understand how a young woman ca fall for a guy who's so obviously bad for her then you don't know much about young women.

5. Ree Yees

Apr 6, 2000
    I get your point Padme Bra, but even with young girls in mind (eh hehe), I think Padmé's side of the story remains unbelievable.

Thanks for that flameshield :)

6. FOTR-AOTC-TTT_2002

FOTR-AOTC-TTT_2002 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2002
    Ree,

I think it is a great ending. The wedding is just there to make us understand that Anakin and Amidala chose to live their love. It is quite a powerful symbol really.
    They have already kissed in the movie, so having them married in the end build tension, and establishes that after all what they've been through together, they decide to take it one step further.

The point is that this commitment contradicts Anakin's commitment to the jedi order. They're married once and for all, it won't be erased. If they had just kissed once more, well, what's the big deal ?

The fact that there is no dialog in that scene makes it even more powerful.

The clone parade thing is great also.

The Sith meeting is great too.

The jedi council scene with OB, Yoda and Mace could have been better.

Nope, I think it is one of the best SW ending ever. I also like the big battles, duels, arena (even though the monsters are cheeeesy !).

Ok. Best sw ending with ESB.

7. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    And why would you see a movie that you do nothing but rip on three times?

8. tDR

tDR Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    i dont know what your on ReeYees but you need help.. sorry if im being a little harsh. :(

IMHO the ending was handled very well, you really see the tension between anakin and his jedi order.. good point FOTR-AOTC... ;)

+ the look on padmes face is a good 1.. i dont think shes sure if shes made the right choice, which of course she didnt.

rees, if you liked the TPM ending.. then you REALLLYYY need help! just a thought

we need no bashers! :D

9. Jedi_Lite

Jedi_Lite Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    I feel sad for you that you don't understand or like it. I would be devastated if I felt that way because SW was every bit a part of my childhood as learning how to walk and say my ABC's. The more I see AOTC, the better it gets (ending included -- especially the shot of the clonetroopers boarding the early Star Destroyers with Palpatine looking proud and Organa dismayed). I hope you see III anyway, because it will rock nads.

10. FOTR-AOTC-TTT_2002

FOTR-AOTC-TTT_2002 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2002
    Padme Bra,

Ree clearly said that he *loved* the first part of the movie.

And I've watched ROTJ and TPM quite a few times (no, ... even more than that), myself. But I could still spend hours bashing these two movies !!!!!!

Such are the ways of the force ... ;) :)

I'm glad Ree went to see it more than once, and I'm really happy he's still in these boards.

He used to be my master you know, before I turned to the gush side ...

About Anakin's mechanical hand, I think it is a good symbol of Anakin turning into a machine : "he's more machine than man".

Is it subtle ? No.

Does it work ? For me, yes !!!

I loved it.

11. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    Yet again the Internet proves that no matter the logic, anyone with a computer and the ability to type can have his or her thought entertained... no matter how boring it may be. ;)

Yawn.

RB

12. Kante

Kante Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2002
    Padme falling in love with Anakin is believable.

Padme ignoring what is practical and pragmatic and right is NOT believable.

13. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    I just watched the film for the third time

Thats the type of thing that makes me laugh at bashers :p I remember Binary_Sunset's first bashers sanctuary, and we know how much he hates that film, but it started with something like:

On my first showing...I saw it a second time...I dragged myself back for a third time...after the fourth viewing...finally on my last showing.

It cracks me up :p

14. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Couldn't they have gotten the kids without getting married?

Err, no. Well, technically they could but... This is a kids' movie in the first place. And having Anakin and Padme have children without getting married wouldn't be "proper".

15. DARK_SCORE

DARK_SCORE Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2000
    Did you go in with a stopwatch and hit the button at 1h08m when your enjoyment of the film suddenly ended... ?[face_plain]

Take my advice, leave the stopwatch at home and just enjoy yourself...
    ;)

16. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Thats the type of thing that makes me laugh at bashers. I remember Binary_Sunset's first bashers sanctuary, and we know how much he hates that film, but it started with something like:

On my first showing...I saw it a second time...I dragged myself back for a third time...after the fourth viewing...finally on my last showing.

As I recall, Binary had to watch TPM again and again due to circumstances which are somewhat out of his control, not for the sheer 'fun' of it. Of course, flaming the guy seems to be the favourite past time of people around here *shrug*

Anyway, I like AOTC's ending. Especially the music. AOTC's corny lines would have been a really bad experience for me if it were not for 'Across the Stars' :D I truly...deeply...love that theme! [face_love]

Just MHO :D

17. toochilled

toochilled Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    I wish I could make films that were so bad people only saw them 3 times.

I'd be rich.

18. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    As I recall, Binary had to watch TPM again and again due to circumstances which are somewhat out of his control, not for the sheer 'fun' of it.

Yeah, I hope the guy holding the gun to his head wasnt to nasty while the film was showing.

19. Ree Yees

Apr 6, 2000
    Oh what a bunch. As my apprentice-gone-light-side :) mentioned, I LOVE the first 1 hour 8 min. (and i don't use a stopwatch...so go figure how i can know this ;)).

i'll watch that first hour (and eight minutes) a LOT, because it's pure magic. It's Star Wars. (Okay, maybe not pure magic, because there is a lot of cringeworthy stuff here too), but the last hour is IMHO worthless.

I still stand by my opinion of the ending. Now that I'm at it, there's more to the ending that's wrong (assuming the ending, as a sequence, begins after the horribly boring Geonosis battle).

Yoda's line "Begun the Clone War has", for example (I know this has been discussed before). Very poor. Have to go. Girlfriend calling.

:)

20. Crimson-Larko

Crimson-Larko Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2001
    Ree Yees: The Dudewalker of 2002 :D

21. palthemac_o_trades

palthemac_o_trades Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2002
    ..tell me about it! the 6th I saw the movie(the previous 5 were ok ) the screen went black as soon Anakin kissed Padme. People started asking what the hell happened (since most of them know how a starwars movie ends)..then the lady who was supposed to show our way out of the theatre commented something like this : "it was going to end anyway!!!" ..I am not going to that particular cinema again . Next time I'll go to the best cimena in Thessaloniki.
    ..back to the topic..
    Yoda shoud have said: " perfect the movie's end will be !"

22. Lando_System

Lando_System Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2002
    Non-SW fans tend to ONLY like the latter half of the movie...

myself, I loved the whole thing. Especially the VERY end.

23. homeless_jedi

homeless_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    most hidden weddings are done in that way. ever been to a civil marriage wedding? they get lonely. trust me.

it was not supposed to be an extravagant weddding with tons of aliens and hundreds of clone troopers drinking beer. flowers and rice and all that.
    just a real ..love wedding.

i learned something .usually the people that love eachother for real will do something small. in the other hand, rich snobby girls that want to impress their friends have expensive weddings.

and anakin just got one wedding present. his hand and padme's hand ;)

24. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    Ree Yees, I sincerely hope this is all an elaborate charade. Otherwise you are a very sad, strange little man :)

25. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Oh what a bunch. As my apprentice-gone-light-side mentioned, I LOVE the first 1 hour 8 min. (and i don't use a stopwatch...so go figure how i can know this ).

Ha ha ha! I like disc one too.

i'll watch that first hour (and eight minutes) a LOT, because it's pure magic. It's Star Wars. (Okay, maybe not pure magic, because there is a lot of cringeworthy stuff here too), but the last hour is IMHO worthless.

All interactions between Jango and Obi-Wan are consistent with Star Wars "folklore". The ensuing Jedi starfighter / Slave I battle works not because of its special FX (which are decent), but because the audience likes (or connects with) all of the characters involved. That is the most dramatic point in the film. I consider it the climax, and everything that follows to be "falling action" and "resolution". Hah! What resolution!?!

I still stand by my opinion of the ending. Now that I'm at it, there's more to the ending that's wrong (assuming the ending, as a sequence, begins after the horribly boring Geonosis battle).

I think it's a bad ending because nothing feels resolved, and what's worse, there's nothing really to resolve. There was a battle, then it ended. What was at stake? I think the ending would work better if there was a trial scene to explain why Dooku was going to kill Obi-Wan. It's not like Dooku was necessarily doing anything wrong by being on Geonosis and talking to his separatist following. Allow me to illustrate using the classic junk film Dolemite as the example.

OBI-WAN (matter-of-factly): Drop the saber Dooku, you're under arrest.

DOOKU (semi-disappointed): Man, what's the charges...

I know someone is going to mention that the Trade Federation was plotting to kill Padme. Ho hum. The Trade Federation invaded the entire planet of Naboo ten years prior, and they didn't get arrested. Dooku should have just sent Obi-Wan off on his way and said, "man, you got it all wrong." What were the Jedi going to do about it? They have to be on Coruscant so they can sit around and look concerned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.