main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Worst ending in a Star Wars movie ever.

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Ree Yees, Jun 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bresson

Bresson Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    Completely disagree! The secret wedding was the greatest STAR WARS ending because of all the ramifications of that action. Not only has Anakin openly defied his Order, but his action will set in motion both the downfall of the Republic and its resurrection. How may original movies have moments like that, when a single kiss, parallelled with the Imperial Cruisers and Clone Troopers, casts such an ominous shadow. Even people I talked to who had problems with the movie said the same thing: It's a brillant set up for Ep 3. Not all movies have to end with explosions and cheering. Some can end with a kiss and be even more powerful.

2. wizard8

wizard8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2001
    I have problems with AOTC in general, acting and dialogue mostly, however I have absolutely no problem with the end of the film at all.

On 2nd viewing, I'd have to say that, starting at about or before the scene where Obi Wan and Anakin are arguing after Padme falls out of the ship (awesome), the movie is as good as Star Wars ever was at its best, the movie builds and builds for me in drama starting around that scene until the very last shot (excepting maybe the last scene in the Jedi Temple with OB1 Mace and Yoda).

The scene with Ob1 and Anakin arguing compliments the ending scene with the wedding. The scene with Ob1 reinforces the possible concequences of Anakin's attachments to Padme, and the end shot is powerful because we realize that he is going against everything he stands for as a Jedi because of his love for Padme.
    After several moments of crappy dialogue and not so good acting at certain points during the film (flame away), Lucas finally realized in the closing moments of the film with huge masterful strokes that everything had been set up so that he could conclude the film with several images that were much more powerful than words.

Showing his mechanical arm is just to reinforce that he was scarred in battle, he's not quite the same Anakin anymore.

The last 20 minutes or so of AOTC is simply the best that SW gets (until possibly Episode III).

3. DarthCorky

DarthCorky Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    Please spare us ReeYees. I swear I'm on the verge of retiring from these boards after only two months. They seem to get less and less intelligent every day. Should I give up or is this just a phase related to the recent release of AOTC?

4. dahveed72

dahveed72 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    quote:

Ree Yees, I sincerely hope this is all an elaborate charade. Otherwise you are a very sad, strange little man

have to agree with you there duckie. this guy needs his own Sanctuary.

dont get me wrong, AOTC was not a very good movie, but even i enjoyed the last 40 minutes or so to some extent.

please get some help Ree.

oh, and i agree the marriage scene was tacked on and completely unaffecting, but so was virtually all the romantic stuff in the first half. At least it was only like 45 seconds long.

5. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    I do hope Ree Yees is using the flame proof shield I gave him. Seems like only a few can attack the guy's ideas without making snide personal comments.

6. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    It's not surprising that the bashers fail to even try to see the reasons behind the ending of the film and why it is so meaningful. How could seeing clones march off to war not be rousing...whatever chumps.

7. Charlie_Martel

Charlie_Martel Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2001
    I guess Ree Yees was asleep during all the scenes where it is said Jedi are not to allowed to fall in love or give in to emotions. He must have missed it when Obi-Wan told Anakin he would be expelled from the Jedi Order for going back to Padme. At the end Anakin is screaming "screw you Jedi Order!" and Ree Yees just wasen't listening :)

8. dahveed72

Mar 11, 2002
    quote:

How could seeing clones march off to war not be rousing

Characters that the audience cares about marching off to war would be rousing. Clones or robots or zombies marching off to war is not. Youre easily roused. Lucky you.

9. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Um hello they represent the rise of the Empire. Have you ever seen the other films?

10. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    What sdj said

11. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    That really did prove that it's out and out refusal to accept these films for some people. I'm really just overwhelmed with the lack of thought taking place.

12. dahveed72

Mar 11, 2002
    accept what exactly?
    as many an irony-challenged Gusher has said, "its not Citizen Kane people".

The dumbest argument any PT or Lucas apologist can make is that somehow we just didnt "get" it. Its blatantly obvious what Lucas was going for. Look up "populist entertainer" in an encyclopedia and youll see his picture staring at you.

If we dont always explain ourselves adequately to you Gushers its because a)some points seem so obvious and self-evident its simply tediuos to write or b) trying to have an intelligent discussion about film with some 15 year old who thinks TPM was an "awesome movie" can rapidly seem like a big fat waste of time.

k?

quote:

Um hello they represent the rise of the Empire

Oh, is that what they represent? oh ok NOW im roused. thanks.

13. dahveed72

Mar 11, 2002
    For the record i enjoyed much of the last 40 minutes or so of AOTC. But having seen more than a few great movies in my time (sci-fi, fantasy, or otherwise), its pretty obvious that this was not a very good movie.

On a more positive note, how about that digital video? did Lucas design those cameras himself, cuz WOW.

14. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    dahveed72 is one big yawn.

RB

15. dahveed72

Mar 11, 2002
    prove it by never mentioning my name again.

Gushers (on ANY subject) are the definition of tedious and repetetive. And on such an uncompicated subject as a SW movie, its even more so.

16. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Yikes! The G and B words were said!

:p

17. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    Dahveed - never change. You're perfect the way you are :)

18. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    I have to disagree with this thread :mad: I loved the ending of AOTC. I liked the way... mmmmm anakin and padme were kissing. :) yeah.... anyways... Peace! :cool:

19. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    Gushers (on ANY subject) are the definition of tedious and repetetive.

You just defined bashers (horribly worded though).

And on such an uncompicated subject as a SW movie, its even more so.

What does "uncompicated" mean? Even if you meant to say "uncomplicated" your sentence structure reveals no point. You basicly said nothing in that sentence. Classic pseudo-intellectual.

RB

20. Darth-Syphilis

Darth-Syphilis Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2002
    The ending i thought after the good call my young padawan and the general yoda shots was going to be a shocker, but boy was a surprised.

My absolute favorite is the Coruscant scene where Dooku's ship leaves the city and enters sithville, i was like YES, i knew that is what it would look like, and the music was fabulous, the best in the movie by far. great ending good movie after a poor first viewing it has grown on me a lot.

21. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    Okay!!! i aint even gonna read all the postings here. Too many.
    But i will add a comment
    The ending is awsome. NOt the best however.
    And yes they ARE getting married!!! [read the book]

I just though the ending was good because it made me just imagine how angry obi-wan is going to be when he discovers that anikan got married.... He will go crazy...

22. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Typical bashers always try to state their opinions as facts. Like the quality of a film can be measured by some kind of intellectual measuring stick that only they have. But the conventional methods such as BoxOffice only are applicable when it suits their ends.

But again for the second night in a row I am overwhelmed.

23. jacensky315

jacensky315 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2002
    SW movies don't get better than AOTC. I liked and that is all that matters to me! Movie ending was nice. Left you wanting more. Whole point of it.

24. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

Ree Yees, maybe during future viewings
    you should get up and leave at 1 hour,
    8 minutes into the film. That would
    alleviate the suffering. Otherwise,
    you come off as a glutton for punishment.

I enjoyed the whole film immensely
    and repeatedly. As will your friends.

25. JediStylez

JediStylez Jedi Youngling

Jun 11, 2002
    on the contrary Ree Yees,
    i thought that the ending was excellent. it was a perfect foreshadowing of things to come. everything from the music to the color scheme to the actual wedding in the movie served a purpose. the music and the semi dark color of the sky had sort of a bittersweet tone to it. it was a happy event, a wedding -duh, but it was a sign of the beginning of the end. it was the forbidden love that was never supposed to occur but did, and will ultimately transpire into anakin's demise...hence the wedding taking place at sunset. it's like the sun is setting on anakin's career on the good side. that creepy robotic hand that you referred to, is the beginning of darth vader. we already saw the mental and emotional instability that will drag anakin to the dark side, now we're seeing the physical mechanization beginning that makes vader robotic instead of human. how can you say that it doesn't spark your interest for the next episode. there are a lot of loose ends in the plot that episode 3 will clarify: especially the birth and hiding of luke and leia. you're really not curious about the circumstances of their birth and the events that led them to be hidden? that can't take place without, you guessed it, the wedding of anakin and padme. a lot of things were tied together in the end of AOTC. the shot of the stormtroopers symbolized the empire that is to come, which is the reason why luke and leia had to be hidden. that's where the wedding comes into play. i thought it was an awesome ending.
    FOTR-AOTC-TTT_2002: what sith meeting are u talking about in the end of AOTC?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.