main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Worst existing SW film.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Jedi knight Pozzi, May 10, 2001.

?

Worst existing SW film.

Poll closed Mar 23, 2012.
  1. The Phantom Menace

50.7%
  2. A New Hope

14.9%
  3. The Empire Strikes back.

12.8%
  4. The Return of the Jedi

21.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark_Luke

Dark_Luke Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2001
    I'd have to say ESB. I never liked it as much as the others, probably becuase of the end. I hated that. The lightsaber duel is the least interesting, and Vader's revelation that he is Luke's father really messes up the trilogy for me. i think it would hav ebeen better for Luke and Leia to be "twins", but Vader not their father. Anyone else agree?

And HOW can you diss ANH and RotJ? ANH started it all, and the Death Star battle was superb! I espessialy liked that "I"m here to rescue you" conversation. And RotJ was good, the emperor dead, Vader turned to the light, and the Death Star destroyed.

2. Darth_Jakeo

Darth_Jakeo Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2001
    "The lightsaber duel is the least interesting, and Vader's revelation that he is Luke's father really messes up the trilogy for me. i think it would hav ebeen better for Luke and Leia to be "twins", but Vader not their father. Anyone else agree?"

I think the fact that Luke Skywalker was willing to fall to his death rather than live as Vader's son was a powerful statement, and is one of the main reasons I enjoy ESB so much. However, if Vader wasn't Luke's father then it would've made the lightsabre battle at the conclusion of ROTJ a lot shorter, 'cause Luke would've had no qualms about killing Vader.

As for my least favorite SW movie, I'd have to say TPM, mainly because Darth Maul was more a thug than a well-developed villain like Vader. Maul was a cool hunter and assassin, but I would've liked to have had some insight as to why he hated the Jedi so much. Maybe that'll be explained in Episode II.

3. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    It's the Holiday Special, you twit! There hasn't been, and I hope there will never be a really awful Star Wars film. Yeah, The Phantom Menace wasn't great, the dialogue was terrible, and the characters weren't all that inspiring, but it was still a good film. And the Holiday Special does make The Phantom Menace seem like Casablanca....

4. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    The holiday special ain't SW.

I've not watched it, but it ain't!

5. Hatter

Hatter Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    I've voted for ANH. It sickens me just to watch it. It's so... un-organic. It just has this terrible metallic feeling to it. ESB had Dagobah & Bespin, RotJ had Endor, and TPM... well, TPM was like one great big squishy organic thing. :p
    ANH has terrible, TERRIBLE costumes, satisfactory acting, bad dialogue, piss-poor space battle scenes, and a lightsaber duel lacking any emotion. Maybe it's just that I've been spoiled by the other films, but ANH just doesn't have anything of note in it.
    My point is that anything special that ANH has, is done much better in another SW film.
    All the other three have better lightsaber duels and usage of the Force.
    ROTJ has a much better space battle.
    ANH is lacking a real emotional punch. ESB had the revelation about Vader & Han's capture, ROTJ had Vader's redemption & death, even TPM had more emotion than ANH.
    Another thing, I've never really liked the design of the Death Star. Even the name irks me. I like the size of it, but I dunno, a big floating ball isn't too intimidating, especially when it's blowing up a planet we've never visited. :p
    Maybe it's just that ANH has been around so long, and it's been seen and liked by people who have no other knowledge of the SW universe - people who would call Greedo a monster instead of an alien. Maybe I've just seen too many clueless SW parodies in MAD Magazine.

6. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    More opinions?

7. ImperialFleetLeader

ImperialFleetLeader Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 19, 2001
    I think it's ANH just because it's not as exciting as the other movies. I do like the trench run, though. Personally I think it's hard to believe that so many people voted for ESB. What's not to like about it???

8. Jenkwombat

Jenkwombat Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2001
    ESB

Man, that movie sucked!!!

BTW, Hatter, you're mad a hatter....

9. Otter

Otter Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    Just out of curiosity, are all those who dislike ANH the most "younger" fans?

10. BattleDroid1138

BattleDroid1138 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 6, 2000
    I imagine it's the younger who dislike ANH. I feel, from a film making standpoint, it is the best in the series (I think film makers and critics would agree.) However it is not my personal favorite.

Here is my order:
    1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. A New Hope
    3. The Phantom Menace
    4. Return of the Jedi

Plus, I expect Attack of the Clones to land behind TESB and ANH.

11. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    I feel like getting very angry at everyone who says that ANH is horrible. "satisfactory acting"? Personally, I thought it was the best. "Bad costumes"? Stormtroopers, Vader, Rebel troops, flight suits... etc.

I'm assuming everyone dissing ANH is between 12 and 13 years of age.

12. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    and you people call yourselves Star Wars fans!

//tisk tisk//

the is no such thing as a "worst SW film" they are all SW and therefore all GREAT.

now Space Balls is another thing altogether...

13. Darth_Smeagol

Darth_Smeagol Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    I said ANH and I am 20. It is boring, and Hamill's acting in ANH is far worse then Lloyd's in TPM. It has been years since I was even able to make it through ANH without falling asleep. When I watch the saga I have to skip it to have any hope of making it through.

From the time that the droids land until they are on the Death Star nothing interesting happens. The Droids walk around alittle, get captured and sold, Luke whines and whines and whines some more delivers the most cringe worthy line of the entire saga: "but I was going into Toshi Station to pick up some power converters." Things get alittle better when Ben comes along but I am usually already out by that time.

14. Sate_Pestage

Sate_Pestage Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2001
    ROTJ was kinda bad!!! ANH and ESB were amazing...ROTJ did not close the trilogy as well as it should have!
    TPM....it was alright....the only problem is that it could not stand by itself...it needs AOTC and Ep3 to be a good film.

15. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    All the movies were great but ROTJ was not that good, but the ending was great.

16. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    I refuse to rank the movies. It's like ranking chapters in a book.

However, whenever I watch all the films one after another, ANH is usually the hardest one to sit through. It's still a masterpiece, but that just goes to show how much the other episodes improved on the concepts it introduced.

17. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I agree. This poll shouldn't have been named "worst SW movie", better would be "your least favorite SW movie". There's no such thing as bad SW movie. Sure, every movie has good things and bad things.

Good things: TPM has the old Jedi order, cool lightsaber battle, sophisticated sets and costumes (let alone the fact that it's technically most advanced movie of all 4), ANH has started it all, it introduced us to the SW universe and it has Han Solo in there and the cool dogfights (Falcon vs. Star Destroyers and TIE's), ESB has the "I am your father scene", we learn more about the Force (it has Yoda), there's a romance btw Han and Leia, ROTJ has (IMHO) the best space battle of all movies, the saga is concluded, there's revelation about Luke and Leia being twins, Vader turns back to the good side, Emperor dies, and the SE ending is awesome and cool.

Bad things: TPM has Jar Jar and lacks someone cynic like Han, some things look too much like CGI, ANH has whiny Luke, Leia's cinnamon roll buns, lousy lightsaber battle, and blind and stupid stormtroopers (actually they are in the whole OT, so it doesn't make a difference), TESB's Leia is pretty annoying and bitchy (sorry for the word), Yoda's first impression is hardly one of a Jedi Master (to me he seems more like a spoiled child refusing to give away his favorite toy), Mark Hamill's face in the "I am your father" scene (admit it, he looks ugly there), ROTJ has Ewoks in it (although to me they don't seem so bad, I'd say Jar Jar is 100% worse), Han's lousy dialogue with Threepio ("hurry up will ya"...), Luke's dialogue with Leia where he tells her they're sibligs seems quite unnatural to me (maybe it's the fault of the script, but you can thell they're acting it), and Ewoks beating the crap out of an entire legion of Emperor's best stormtroopers.

But still, I say that there's no such thing as bad movie in Star Wars (I haven't seen Holiday Special or anything else, so forgive me if I miss something). This is just my opinion.

I voted for ANH, but it's not that I hate it. There are just more things I don't like about it than in any other SW movie. :)

18. Prince_Xizor

Prince_Xizor Jedi Youngling

Sep 18, 2001
    None of the above!

19. DonVader

DonVader Jedi Youngling

Sep 18, 2001
    TPM is definitely the weak link in the SW series so far b/c IMO it lacks the magic of the OT. But then of course things might get better from EII on.

Here's my rankings

ESB
    ANH
    ROTJ
    TPM

20. Jenkwombat

Jenkwombat Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2001
    Darth_Smeagol, maybe you should open a window when working with model glue.....

BTW, Luke does far more whining in ESB than in any other film in the trilogy. He's also disrespectful, arrogant, rude, and has lost all trace of his good natured personality, but that's beside the point....

21. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    I think all the films are very good. So I can't really vote against the films.

22. Jedi knight Pozzi

Apr 2, 2000
    Hope this hasn't been locked.

23. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I don't consider any of them bad, but all of the films I like are in a tie

(1) TESB and TPM
    (2) ANH and ROTJ

So I didn't vote at all :D

24. Bossk_BountyHunter

Bossk_BountyHunter Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 3, 2002
    Jedi because Carrie Fisher looked like she aged 15 years and her voice sounded like she had been pounding the bottle for 20.

25. Rogue-Leader

Rogue-Leader Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    Here is my order from best to worst:

1)ESB
    2)ANH
    3)ROTJ
    4)TPM

I like them all but TPM didn't seem to have the same Star Wars feel to it that the other movies had.

BTW, how can you call ANH boring? It's not my favorite, but it started the whole thing and the Trench Run was enough excitement for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.