main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Worst Kickstarter-funded game ever...with the name Star Wars attached to it

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DebonaireNerd, Jan 6, 2016.

1. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Ramza Edit: I'm leaving the link open since it's the topic of discussion, but as the linked Kickstarter is not endorsed by Disney or Lucasfilm and will most likely be subject to C&D, the staff do not recommend donating.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1793481042/star-wars-open-world-rpg/description

No permission from Disney to proceed, game ships to America only, incentive tiers ($10, $60, or $1500) are ridiculous, no screen shots, and little to nothing is known about the team.

Money has still been pledged though!

2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Kotaku had a write up about this the other day. It's either the sweetest or saddest thing I've ever seen. Some 20 year old kid with no programming or artistic skills somehow thinks he can make a Star Wars game on par with other AAA titles like Fallout 4 or Witcher 3.

3. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Agree with Ramza's edit.

DO NOT donate to this project, it has all the trimmings of a scam. Hence, the title of the thread hopefully indicating advice to NOT assist the project.

4. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Obi Jim kenobi?!?!??!?

Sounds great! :D

/sarcasm

5. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Not to be mean but those rewards are awful [face_laugh]

6. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    He took down the kickstarter. Still not sure if it was a troll post or not. I thought it was, but that closest statement feels sincere.

7. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Have you seen his farewell letter?

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I love though that he's basically no better than anyone who has posted a serious idea in that "ideas for Star Wars games" thread. But people judge.

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    There's a rather large difference of degree between posting "I think [thing] would be a good Star Wars game" on a Star Wars message board and posting an illegal crowdfunding project because you have deluded yourself into thinking you could make [thing] without permission from the copyright holders.

DaddlerTheDalek and Life like this.
  10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah but saying "I think a GTA and Skyrim game with blastres and lightsabors and you are a goodie Jedi who uses force lightening and you can stael a speeder" is about having no real sense of how stupid it sounds. Similarly, promising this as a Kickstarter is about having no sense of how stupid it sounds.

Basically, the difference between writing "this dumb idea would be sick bro" and "this kickstarter will make that dumb idea a reality" is the scope of ambition. The common sense factor is still a obvious omission from both.

11. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    But having a fully-fledged company like EA making a "Skyrim-style" Star Wars game isn't nearly as far fetched as some random dude making it by himself on kickstarter money.

The problem isn't with the idea, but the execution. If the idea were to make a simple 32-bit-style Star Wars game then nobody would have freaked out about it.