main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Worst line in The Force Awakens

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Harmon, Jan 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    First of all, that's not what cinematography is. Secondly, that's what's great about the film. Abrams doesn't waste time spelling out every detail for the audience, significant or insignificant (and this case is the latter). I blame the last decade and half of blockbusters that have felt the need to spoon feed everything to the audience. Gladly, Abrams and Kasdan harkened back to a script-writing style that trusted the audience's intelligence.

That's her character. She's playing a hard pirate on the surface, probably for show among her crew, and probably just as a way of giving Han a hard time. It's called "busting ball$" in some parts of America. Or "ribbing" across the pond. Messing with him. Throwing him off balance. She's cheeky and a little cagey. And it creates tension in the scene. Great way to establish her character in a broad stroke from the outset, and to keep the audience guessing as to whether or not she's a good guy (especially given that the last person who shouted his name in an angry way was a Guavian death gang leader that tried to kill him).

And, of course, it's reminiscent of Lando's unwelcoming joke when he first meets Han on Bespin. Though this time, without a betrayal.

2. Mister Bones

Mister Bones Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2016
    I actually quite liked the delivery of that particular line.

3. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Something I just realized about Threepio's line about his arm; it seems to be referencing a similar joke from Clone Wars (Chapter 21). Anakin says something's different about 3PO because this is the first time he has his gold plating, but 3PO says it must be because of his disguise (he also happens to be wearing a cloak). Bottom line: 3PO gives a lot more thought to his appearance than others actually do. Plus, anything said by Anthony Daniels is immediately classic.

I'd have to go with Leia's lines. Carrie tried, at least.

Worker11811 likes this.
  4. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    I probably cringed the most at the exchange between Han and that Scottish kid on the freighter. It sounded like they kept saying Culture Club over and over.

"Tell thot ta Culture Club." " I never made a deal with Culture Club!"

Yora and Worker11811 like this.
  5. Knights of Ben

Knights of Ben Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 30, 2016
    Slight sidetrack, as you've mentioned Threepio's red arm: my friend has this great theory that visually it's actually a nod to Big Boss's red bionic arm in Metal Gear Solid 5, (if you're aware of the MGS games, which I'm sure you are) which was first seen in trailers over a year ago. Abrams has a friendship with Hideo Kojima, and apparently the red eyed alien who pops his head out of the sand when bb8 escapes the FO at the beginning of the movie says, "Kojima". Anyway, if you do a google image comparison, the forearm of Threepios red droid arm is remarkably similar to the MGS 5 red bionic arm!

SlashMan likes this.
  6. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    I hated the Finn "you have a cute boyfriend" dialogue.

Also, Carrie Fisher was difficult to watch. Her mouth hardly moved due to years of abuse (and possibly surgery). So, her lines were bothersome for that reason.

Yora and 357hermon like this.
  7. LordDallos

LordDallos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    "Different Jacket."

"Same Jacket."

8. Worker11811

Worker11811 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 6, 2016

And their big hit, "Force Chameleon"

guittarjedi likes this.
  9. Worker11811

Worker11811 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Poor Carrie. She always gets the worst lines in every SW movie.

10. 357hermon

357hermon Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 6, 2016
    That was a bit too much, considering both actors said outside the movie in interviews, they're only friends. The delivery was just too cheesy to work with what the script writers are trying to convince people of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.