main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Worst Lines in the CT

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthSheev, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Never understood what the problem was supposed to be with these. All place names in SW are made up, as is to be expected in a SF movie. How is "Tosche" worse than Endor, Naboo, Hoth or Mos Eisley? Power converters: so we are seeing fictional spaceships in a SF movie, naturally there have to be some fictional technical terms as well. Again, how is "power converters" worse than turbo laser, hydraulic spanner, land speeder or hyper drive?:confused:

2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I think it's more to do with the whiny way Luke says the lines rather than the words themselves.

Darth Basin likes this.
  3. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    Hmmm, to be honest I find the word "whiny" a little overused in forums (especially regarding Luke or Anakin) these days. Somehow you are either "badass", "whiny" or "emo", you can't just be an average person that can be in a bad mood once in a while. Luke was practically still a teenager, bored to death with his life on the farm, his only entertainment being meeting his friends at that station, whatever that is. So when he isn't allowed to go he's a little disappointed, and he is showing that disappointment when he talks to his uncle. It never occurred to me he was "whining". As for that scene where he leaves Dagobah, how is there anything whiny in the way he tells R2 to "fire up the converters"? A little confused here. Or we just interpret characters' way of saying things differently.

Talos of Atmora, Martoto77 and Sarge like this.
  4. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Oh, I get it. I don't really mind the lines myself. I don't think whiny means necessarily bad. It makes sense for bored Luke to whine about his situation a bit.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  5. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    Exactly. He is supposed to sound that way. He is extremely unhappy with his life on the farm and can't wait to get away. In the novelization it even says Luke is filled with nothing but a "vast indifferent emptiness". Sounds quite depressed for a guy his age. In our world he might even have been diagnosed with depression? So naturally that unhappiness has to be shown in the movie somehow. I found it quite true to his character. His uncle keeps promising to send him to that academy and then always keeps breaking his promise, year after year. So Luke is almost resigned at this point and has almost given up all hope of ever leaving. Maybe that explains why he is taking his uncle and aunt's death so well?

6. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    There are a lot of clunkers, arguably far more than nostalgia will objectively allow us to admit.

The biggest difference between the PT and the OT is delivery. All the OT actors, the people tasked with actually making it work, have spoken incessantly over the decades about the clunky, chunky dialogue. They wielded it so, so much better than most of their PT counterparts. And they made a lot of stuff work that otherwise wouldn't.

Darth Basin and Sarge like this.
  7. IrB

IrB Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 16, 2016
    I saw first SW in Italian and just after several years in original, when the DVDs were sold. In the Italian dubbing, Luke sounds more mature and less whining from the very beginning, but IMHO the character works much better in Hamill's acting. So, I guess Luke is supposed to sound just like that: a bored (and maybe little whining) teenager, who slowly changes over his adventure.

Darth Basin likes this.
  8. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    That sounds like the generic PT criticism we read every day on forums. Can you give me some concrete examples where OT dialog is so much better delivered than in the PT? I dare say in the PT the dialogs are often much more subtle and refined as opposed to the OT. PT haters may say as much as they want how "bad" the fireplace dialog is, for example, but IMHO it is still far more complex and emotional than anything we see in the OT. Sorry, but I can't see how all the PT lines are supposed to be unbearable while the OT is supposed to be something like Shakespeare. I stick to my opinion I expressed on other threads that the much hated fireplace scene is probably much more Shakespearean and romantic in a medieval way than anything we have ever seen in the OT, where most of the dialog is really nothing more than shallow. Lucas really did something very brave here. He ignored "contemporary" teenage talk and went for something completely different, a Romeo & Juliet kind of romance that is not trying to be "hip" but does a great job of conveying a kind of medieval "courtly love", something that had not been shown in modern movies since the 1996 version of Romeo + Juliet. It was so different from what the average SW fan wanted that it got so much criticism and hate. But I got it right from the beginning and I really respect Lucas for his courage to take SW in a new direction and never-before seen style. This is something completely missing from TFA. That's why that one for me will never come even close to the prequels.

ezekiel22x likes this.
  9. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

No offense to you, because I'm sure you're very well meaning, but the very last thing I'm interested in is yet another tired, pointless PT vs OT debate. I've literally heard it all before. And since I'm not a PT "hater" at all, the majority of this has absolutely nothing to do with my post, or my perspective.

I stand by what I said. The OT actors, by and large, handled the delivery of George and company's clunky dialogue with more finesse. They sold it better, to me. You're free to wax poetic about that awful fireplace scene (which, incidentally, was delivered far better by the French actors who did the dub), but none of that changes my view one iota.

Sarge likes this.
  10. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    "I am not a committee" kinda bugs me..

DarthSheev and Darth Basin like this.
  11. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    I don't want yet another such debate either. And I never said you were a PT hater. I agree with most of your posts anyway. I just disagree that the overall acting in the OT is better than the PT. But let's leave it at that. This topic is about bad lines in the OT, so we had better focus on that and leave the PT out. I admit that I am often also guilty of going off-topic and bringing up the PT when it's not relevant. I will try to digress less in the future.

jaqen likes this.
  12. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
  13. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I see no breach in civility between Sith Lord 2015 and I. Not sure why we're being warned.

14. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

The wasn't a warning. It was a recommendation. Take what I said as friendly advice.

Such language gets very close to (1) PT bashing, and (2) derailing a thread. If you have any more comments send me a PM.

@anakinfansince1983

jaqen likes this.
  15. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    The walking carpet quote from Leia and

"If we could just avoid anymore female advice, we ought to get safely out of this."

"Well what have we here?"

"The princess, you have to take care of her!" I get what they were going for, but Leia doesn't need more protection than the others

"Ow."

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. IrB

IrB Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 16, 2016
    It seems to me that line meant just show Han loves her. So, IMHO, the line doesn't show Leia need more protection, but that Han does care she will be all right. But I guess those things depends mostly on how each one of us relete to the scenes.

17. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I guess it's meant to show his love but I always took it as him thinking that she's more delicate.

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    My interpretation was that Han was using her as a way to get Chewie to not go berserk; it had as much to do with saving Chewie as it did with Leia.

19. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    It's possible he meant it to sound that way, in order to keep everyone off-balance while Vader et al got ready to haul the Rebels in.

Sarge likes this.
  20. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I've been sat here pondering some lines from the OT... I haven't thought of one! I have nothing to contribute, the OT is too perfect in my eyes.

21. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015

Just this entire scene. I’ve never liked the sibling twist, the direction always felt too stagy and theatrical to me, the delivery just feels very wooden and awkward. Just…ugh!

CT-867-5309 and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  22. IrB

IrB Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 16, 2016
    "the delivery just feels very wooden and awkward"
    You should hear the scene in the Italian dubbing: it sounds like a soap-opera here!! I can assure they are doing comparatevely great in English, giving the script! :)

By the way, I agree with you: I don't really mind for the sibling twist in itself (which is then well used during the following duel), but this scene just doesn't work. Leia reaction is too cold. "Is my brother the guy I kissed? My father the monster who tortured me and helped to destroy my world? Oh, all right, somehow I've always known!" It's strikingly unrealistic comparing Luke's shock in TESB.
    If I remember well, in the movie comments on the DVD, Lucas tells about this scene that he didn't know what to make they say in this scene.