main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Worst Moment in AOTC

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darthsith19, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MASTER_DOODOO

MASTER_DOODOO Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2005

Yah, there are other threads in which we're debating the merrits of the other movies. The Phantom Masterpiece thread has plenty of banter about the movie in it.

As far as the worst scene in AOTC, I would say it's Obi-Wan uttering "Ohhhhh.....yesssss. Hmmph humph humph humph." in the elevator. That dialogue could have been better. I liked Attack of the Clones, minus that and the Dex's Diner scene.

2. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I have always hated Obi Wan's "not good" as he realises he's about to be pulled over the precipice on Kamino -- so artificial!

3. MetaphorsBeWithYou

MetaphorsBeWithYou Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 2006
    As far as the worst scene in AOTC, I would say it's Obi-Wan uttering "Ohhhhh.....yesssss. Hmmph humph humph humph." in the elevator.

Arrgh! Forgot about that. Oh dear. I hereby change my vote.

4. MASTER_DOODOO

MASTER_DOODOO Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2005

Yah, that scene is pretty lame. Obi Wan is sly, and that dialog isn't.

5. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    That part between the words STAR WARS and the blue sign that said "This film has been rated PG"

6. Jawabacca

Jawabacca Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2006
    Well, my kids made me watch AOTC last night. I hadn?t watched it in a while, and I really was hoping that maybe this time, I?d like it. But, alas, no . . .

Did I find that one worst moment this time? No, it?s impossible, as I?ve said before. But I got to thinking about the few scenes I did enjoy somewhat, and why I liked them, which led me to what?s missing from this movie. I realized that one scene I enjoyed was watching Anakin work his way through the droid factory (at first). And then I realized that it was because it was pretty cool to see how adept he was with the Force. They talked about it throughout the movie (?the boy has exceptional skills?), but you never really get to see it, except for this one scene (and the speeder chase, which has really bad dialogue).

So, that?s what missing: the ?best star pilot in the galaxy,? the ?cunning warrior,? and really, even the ?good friend.? We only saw tension between Obi-Wan and Anakin, even though Anakin refers to Obi-Wan as ?like his father? (a statement to be taken lightly, as Anakin never had a father, and doesn?t know what one would be like). It would have been nice to see a little friendship amid the tension. They?re really not in very many scenes together, and it would have been nice to see them on an adventure together in this movie.

AOTC is like a piece of a puzzle that doesn?t quite fit. It?s as if GL changed direction in the middle of the trip. First we see ?good?, likeable (well, the intention was that he would be likable anyway) Anakin in TPM, then arrogant, wayward, unlikable Anakin in AOTC, and then back to likable hero in ROTS. And the whole relationship with Obi-Wan follows the same pattern. They meet on friendly terms in TPM, they cannot stand each other for the most part in AOTC, and then that?s all forgotten in ROTS. Again, it?s a weird fit. The trilogy is heading on one direction, then veers off into another. There?s another cool thread about how many people, after seeing ROTS, are starting to enjoy TPM more, and AOTC less. I think this is why. AOTC is so inconsistent with the rest of the saga, and it?s more obvious after seeing ROTS. But, thankfully I like the ultimate direction the PT took with the Anakin character and his relationship with Obi-Wan. Had he been so difficult to like (as in AOTC), and had he not had a good friendship with Obi-Wan, than who would have cared? ROTS is so tragic because it has all of the elements AOTC lacks.

I?ve reworked the whole movie in my head ? I?m just waiting for GL to call . . . ;)

There have some posts on this thread and others regarding complaining about the movies. I must admit, shamefully, that I am new to TFN, and the first time I felt compelled to post was to bark about how much I dislike AOTC on this thread. It?s a sad fact of human nature that griping is fun. But, I look at it this way: it?s a lot more fun making fun of your hideous relations (we all have them, admit it) with the rest of your relatives than it is to make fun/gripe to your friends. In fact, it sort of hurts to do it when you go outside of the family. But, when you?re at some big family affair, and ?Cousin Jimmy*? is making a fool out of himself, you can look the other way and be embarrassed, or you can have a little fun with it, and rip him up with everyone else you?re sitting with. So, I gripe about AOTC to people who will understand. Because they love Star Wars as much as I do, and AOTC is ?Cousin Jimmy? to some of us. And we can admit it to each other and have a little fun. But, if I went on about it to my friends who could care less about Star Wars, well then, that?s not much fun.

*Name has been changed to protect identity [face_mischief]

7. MetaphorsBeWithYou

MetaphorsBeWithYou Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 2006
    Almost thou persuadest me to change my mind about AOTC. Good to see your name on the PT forum again!

So, I gripe about AOTC to people who will understand. Because they love Star Wars as much as I do, and AOTC is ?Cousin Jimmy? to some of us. And we can admit it to each other and have a little fun. But, if I went on about it to my friends who could care less about Star Wars, well then, that?s not much fun.

Wow! My sentiments exactly. And it's fun even to disagree in forums (or is that "fora"?) such as this because here, at least, everyone seems willing to look at the films closely (even the ones they don't like as much) and thoughtfully consider what others say (even when they don't agree with the others). Outside the "family," I find that may people who have a negative impression of a particular SW film (or the SW films in general) will dismiss it/them with a terse sound-bite judgment rather than really break down their reasoning...which, of course, is perfectly fine and their prerogative...but then I generally avoid the topic--and it's a topic I really care about--with them thereafter.

8. jvberggren

jvberggren Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    and AOTC is ?Cousin Jimmy? to some of us.
    [face_laugh] i think that's one of the better labels i've seen on aotc.
    perhaps i will watch "cousin jimmy" make a fool of himself today,lol.

9. Jawabacca

Jawabacca Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2006
    Thanks, Metaphors and jvberggren! It's good to be back in one of my favorite topics!

I have a scene to mention. There are worse scenes than this one, or course, but I was always irritated by the exchange between Yoda and Padme at the beginning of the movie. Yoda gives this sentimental greeting to her ("seeing you brings warm feelings to my heart."), and she completely blows him off with a nasty look and "Do you have any idea who did this?" It's as if he wasn't in the room. Well, I guess he wasn't, but that's beside the point. Padme's supposed to be mother earth, and the whole exchange was very unnatural and "clunky" (is that a word?).

I just had to mention it.

10. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001

That pretty much describes the entire movie.

11. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    Now that's not fair. :)

There's one moment that does come off as so very awkward. Padme's sudden exclamation "I think Dooku is behind it" comes out of nowhere and derives a spit-take from nearly everyone in the Chancellor's office. I think the problem is two-fold. First, there's the fact that we haven't seen or heard of this Dooku character at all in the story so far. I know Lucas wanted to maintain the mystery, but it would have gone so much further to actually SHOW Dooku giving us a charismatic speech instead of just telling us in promo material. The other reason this line just kind of sits there like a lump is that it's clearly been edited quite a bit. I don't know how the scene was originally filmed but there was some serious editing here and the line just hangs in mid air.

12. AnnLouise

AnnLouise Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2005
    It's not so much complaining as...oh, who am I kidding![face_whistling]
    I complain because I care.[face_love]

Seriously though, debating and disagreeing isn't complaining. It's caring enough (maybe too much) to take the time and pay attention. My brother and I get into these kinds of discussions; the the rest of the family looks at us funny.

13. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    Plus thats the first time you hear the name Dooku, and you can't help but laugh at it. I mean come on... DOOKU? 8-}

14. Jedi_Hunter_505

Jedi_Hunter_505 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2004
    Damn, the list can go on and on, but these are the main ones that really got to me:
    "Blast this is why I hate flying."
    its as if he was reading off the script the entire time and didnt feel natural at all.

"I hate it when he does that."
    Again, as if hes reading it off the script itself. its terrible.

"This is such a drag. Im quite beside myself."
    by far the worst part of this movie for me. just terrible dialogue.

Basically all the lines in the movie, save for the interaction between Jango and Obi-Wan which was adeqate at best.

it was actually a pretty bad movie and did not live up to the low line that The Phantom Menace set. It was mostly with the acting and the dialogue that this movie suffered from. Ive said it before, George Lucas is a genius when it comes to certain things in a movie, like special effects, and cinematography, but when it comes to acting, he should get another director to work with the actors. He just isnt very good at directing actors. I just wish that he could have swallowed his pride and got another director to direct the prequels.

15. Sidious77

Sidious77 Jedi Youngling

Apr 12, 2006
    The dialogue between HC and NP. The love scenes were just weak,weak,weak.

3PO's humour scenes [face_laugh] :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The rest of the movie is good. Sure it has weak points but the love story is a major piece of AOTC that just bombed big time.

16. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    "*Name has been changed to protect identity"

lol.

I love SW as a whole, but I of course have some probs with some
    parts of the movies. Some parts are just cringe worthy and there's not
    much denying that. That rolling around in the field bit *groan*.
    But hey, it's kind of what the old serials were like with corny love
    scenes, witty one-liners and dashing heroes like Han Solo.
    It's not enough to make me dislike any of it or GL himself.
    We're all entitled to an opinion or to comment on the things we think
    could have been done better. It doesn't warrant being called a basher.
    If you say something like GL sux or this movie sux without any half-way
    intelligent articulated reason than yes, you're a basher with nothing much
    to say. Anyone else is just engaging in an actual discussion and should not be
    the subject of criticism b/c their opinion differs.

I often want to call those "fanboys" [and girls] names who blindly defend Anakin
    as a poor misled half-wit, but I refrain ;) lol

17. Pizza-the-Hutt

Pizza-the-Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    Padme/Anakin's dialogue IMO:

Anakin: From the moment I met you, all those years ago, not a day has gone by when I haven't thought of you. And now that I'm with you again, I'm in agony. The closer I get to you, the worse it gets. The thought of not being with you...I can't breathe! I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating, hoping that that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me. What can I do? I will do anything that you ask. (pause) If you are suffering as much as I am, please tell me.
    Padme: I can't. We can't. It's...just not possible.
    Anakin: Anything is possible, Padme. Listen to me.
    Padme: No, you listen! We live in a real world. Come back to it. You're studying to become a Jedi. I'm...I'm a senator. If you follow your thoughts through to conclusion, it'll take us to a place we cannot go, regardless of the way we feel about each other.
    Anakin: Then you do feel something.
    Padme: I will not let you give up your future for me.
    Anakin: You are asking me to be rational. That is something I know I cannot do. Believe me, I wish that I could just...wish away my feelings, but I can't.
    Padme: I will not give into this.
    Anakin: Well...you know, it wouldn't have to be that way. We could keep it a secret.
    Padme: We'd be living a lie. One we couldn't keep even if we wanted to. I couldn't do that. Could you, Anakin? Could you live like that?
    Anakin: No. You're right.

Anakin: Don't be afraid.
    Padme: I'm not afraid to die. I've been dying a little bit each day since you came back into my life.
    Anakin: What are you talking about?
    Padme: I love you.
    Anakin: You love me? I thought we had decided not to fall in love. That we'd be forced to love a lie and that it would destroy our lives.
    Padme: I think our lives are about to be destroyed anyway. I truly... deeply... love you and before we die I want you to know.

I just can't accept this as believable dialogue. Especially when you compare it to the great Han/Leia love scenes.

18. thebadge

thebadge Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    Of the six movies this is the one that can really be tweaked and DRAMACTICALLY improved.

Hopefully down the road this happens in a major way!

19. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Threepio's comic relief bigs me a little, and the fireplace seen is a bit awkward, but the worst one has to be

"So have you - grown more beautiful I mean . . . For a senator, that is."

"Oh, Annie, you'll always be that little boy I knew on Tatooine."

Makes me cringe every time.

20. AnakinBrego

AnakinBrego Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2004
    God I hope so, the film needs the dialogue scenes redited!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.