main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Worst Scene in History - Padme recovery from Cruiser Fall

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by RichieSm, May 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichieSm

RichieSm Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2002
    Anyone checking my profile can see that this is my first post?.however I?ve been visiting the forum for about 5yrs and been a Star Wars fan all my life?this could be construed as a negative post but don?t think I?m a simple basher

I really enjoyed ATOC?.there are of course moments in the film that you wish had been differently but after watching the movie 3 times you begin to accept the film for all the wonderful things it is, rather than picking out bad editing or dialogue etc.

Many times during the film the audience started laughing at the wrong moments (Anakin?s nightmare, dialogue etc) but I stayed firm and stayed with the film because I understood the motivation of the scene..

HOWEVER?..there is one scene that is so AWFUL that it completely ruins the film for me?.(SPOILER)?. It?s the scene at the end when Padme arises after falling from the Republic Cruiser?..one minute she is in agony?.the next she is running across the sand dunes ??the acting was atrocious and drew bowls of laughter at every performance I?ve been to (This is right before the big lightsaber duels and completely nulify?s their impact (until Yoda that is))

Can we all get together to press Lucasfilm to change this scene?..it?s frankly insulting?.some of you will be able to pass it off as just StarWars but I felt that having given so much of myself?.really trying to get over the film?s weak spots?.this felt like a kick in the teeth

Anyone else agree?

By the way I think Hayden Christenson was absolutely superb and did the very best with waht he was given.....gonna be a big star...no doubt

2. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    completely ruins the film for me

Well if it takes something that small to ruin a film for you, theres not much anyone can do. Personally seems like an overreaction to me, it was just 5 seconds of screen time, but hey, you want to say that ruins the film guess thats your opinion.

3. os2Kenobi

os2Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 1999
    as silly as that part is, its grown on me.. almost to the level of the toshi station line.

4. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

This scene did bother me too, but I watched it last night and it seemed more like she was dazed after she re-gained conciousness, bit of a headache but uninjured.

Also no-one laughed in the showing last night.

Think of her coming round after a fall rather than moaning in agony.

It makes it a bit better.

5. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    You're insulted by something like that? A life, you need.

6. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    Yeah, it's a bit of a shocker. I'd have to say it's the worst scene in the movie too.

7. Ezekial

Ezekial Jedi Master star 3

May 24, 2002
    hhahahahahaha the audience was laughing?? when i saw it everyone was in this awe-of-star-wars-we're-going-to-ove-this-no-matter-how-bad-it-sucks mood. but then this was in west virginia where brain matter isnt very sharp

8. dmodog

dmodog Jedi Youngling

Mar 1, 1999
    first of all, i highly suggest reading the thread "the nature of negative criticism".

second of all, she wasn't in agony. she might have hurt herself, but she wasn't in agony.

third, she got up afterwards because she obviously didn't hurt herself badly, her leg wasn't broken, she wasn't knocked out. infact she didn't have a scratch on her. just like any person who hit the ground hard, she stayed on the ground for a second, shook it off and got up.

plus they were in the middle of a giant battle. it's not like she's going to stay on the ground because she hurt herself a little bit.

i think it would stupid if she got up without saying anything at all.

9. shine

shine Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 5, 1999
    How can you visit a forum for 5 years, thats only been in existence since 1998?

//busted

10. TheChosen1

TheChosen1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    That scene didn't really get many laughs all three times that I've seen the movie. I don't see anything wrong with it. She rolled down a sand dune and she just needed a second to get up. She made a little noise cuz she was thrown around and maybe a little dizzy. She wasn't mortally wounded or anything. Geez, man, that sucks that something so easily explained away ruined the whole movie for you.

11. RichieSm

RichieSm Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2002
    I'm sorry but I think all you guys who are trying to justify the acting in the scene are fooling yourselves....the intention of the scene was not to draw huge laughter from hundreds of people..they messed up the scene and drew you out of the film

12. dmodog

dmodog Jedi Youngling

Mar 1, 1999
    http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=7009762&replies=0

by the way, that's the thread you should look at.

13. RichieSm

RichieSm Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2002
    Shine....that's a pretty pathetic response....trying to divert the course of the thread ...1998,1999,2000,2001,2002...who gives a **** if I got it a year out

If your so picky about details how come the scene didn't annoy you...?

14. shine

shine Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 5, 1999
    So is bitching about a 5 second scene in a movie.

15. RichieSm

RichieSm Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2002
    I'm sorry that I care...I just do

16. os2Kenobi

os2Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 1999
    allocate that part of the movie for a well placed sneeze, then it won't bother you.

17. SLAVE2

Apr 6, 2000
    I dont understand what she was supposed to do. Cry? Scream in agony? Be barely able to get to her feet? Pouring with blood? She fell onto some sand and rolled down a hill, she was just dazed.

18. BoboliFett

BoboliFett Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2002
    I can see how some could think this scene was bad, but I see it differently.

I thought she was knocked out. Then there was a cut, and when we came back she was coming concious. I thought she was in pain but she realized she had to suck it up and be tough.

19. darren

darren Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 21, 2000
    Have I been watching the WRONG AOTC?

I have seen the film 3 times and I have no idea where in the film you guys are talking about!

I live in Cyprus and am wondering if there are differnt versions of AOTC for different countries.

Can anyone explain a bit ore where in the film we are talking about!

HELP!

20. BoboliFett

BoboliFett Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2002
    They are in that little transport ship after leaving the arena, you know when the whole battle is going on.

Then Padme falls out of the ship because it was rocked by an explosion.

She rolls down some sand dunes and is unconcious.

Then they cut awy for awhile while Dooku and Obi Wan are fighting, cut back to Padme and she is waking up.

She kind of takes inventory, and is relaizing where she is, very groggy and in pain .

Then I believe she sucks it up and has to be tough cuz her little man is in trouble.

Some thought it seemed silly because she should have been more hurt or something. Some think she acted like she was in terrible pain and then all of a sudden she is fine.

I had a different interpretation though.

21. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    Padme falls out of the spaceship.

Anakin flips out and insists on going back to rescue her.

Ankin's worried about her, the audience is worried about her, Obi Wan's insisting that they've got Jedi work to do, Anakin wants to land the ship or turn it around... everything's all very wooooo...

Turns out she was fine after all.

The thing critics of this scene seem to be missing is that the only thing that implies that she's in agony is Anakin's reaction- NOT Portmans acting. She doesn't fall far, lands on sand and rolls with the fall.

That's what I think, anyway. Maybe I'll change my mind when I see it again.

22. entfirst

entfirst Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    to the guy in cyprus. at the end when anakin, kenobi and padme are in the clone trooper gun ship chasing count dooku, the ship is hit by laser fire and padme falls out the ship onto sand and roles down a dune. a few scenes later a trooper is seen rescueing her.

Now, on topic, I have no problem with the scene. I've seen the film 3 times. I admit it seemed silly the first time, but she doesn't fall that far and I just think she is winded by the fall. Once she gets her breathe back, then she is fine. I've been seriously winded before. I came off my bike in such a way that my chest smacked into the side of the handle bar, breaking 4 ribs. I couldn't breathe for over a minute and the pain was something I had never experienced before, and still haven't. I thought I was going to die but after two mintutes I felt ok. I could stand up even though my ribs were broken. Padme isn't injured though, just winded.

23. RichieSm

RichieSm Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2002
    It was the transition between rolling around in pain and then leaping up like a salmon as if nothing had happened..

24. SLAVE2

Apr 6, 2000
    rolling around in pain

I think you watched the wrong film she didnt roll around in agony. Her momentum as she hit the ground made her roll down the sand, she didnt do it intentionally.

25. entfirst

entfirst Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    RichieSM - If you can't breathe you're going to roll around in pain because you're panicking (sp?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.