main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Worst Scene in History - Padme recovery from Cruiser Fall

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by RichieSm, May 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Padme was on top of things before she got blown out of the transport. She knew they were chasing Dooku to a hanger somewhere. She's a lady w/ a mission- take out the bad guy and make sure my man is alright.

2. Unstable_Jedi

Unstable_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    Bullseye Jaina.

3. jedi-girl

jedi-girl Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2000
    I agree with you completely, PadmeLeiaJaina! it would have been out of character for Padme to anything but get right up and go after Dooku!

this is absolutely not the worst scene in history ..it worked fine and completely fits as part of the GFFA.

4. Ender_needs_Bean

Ender_needs_Bean Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2002
    Darth Raptors

I have only seen AOTC twice, and I may be wrong about the CG, but I don't think so. Also, it's NOT the entire scene. It's simply the WIDE MASTER SHOT

Obviously, when she gets up and they cut to the closeup, it is really Natalie Portman.

Master Jedi Smith It was nice to see somebody had read my posts! ;)

5. RiggsWolfe

RiggsWolfe Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 3, 2002
    I've seen it twice. Neither time did the audience crack up at this scene nor think it was unusual. I don't remember her crying out in pain other than when she first hit and yes it probably hurt, but it was mostly shock. I was hit by a car once and thrown pretty far. I cried out in pain, and then got up and talked and walked to where I was going normally. You guys just need to give it a rest.

6. kristof

kristof Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Seen it 3 times and audience laughed every time. Even heard people discussing how bad it was afterwards in the foyer.

Absolutely awful scene.

7. RiggsWolfe

RiggsWolfe Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 3, 2002
    You know, I'm noticing something, it may be my imagination, but all the ones who said people in their theater laughed at this scene and stuff seem to be from the UK. Is this just my imagination? If not, it is interesting, maybe different cultures viewed the scene differently?

8. Admiral_Drake

Admiral_Drake Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2002
    wow you know i didn't think much of the scence

ok frist yes the transport is moving very fast
    but did you notice how far off the ground it was...not very far if i rembear

to me there were no bad parts and none of my freinds who are Fan atics like me commented on it

still if it runins the moive for you then thats you

oh and Portmen makes up for average acting with her good looks =)

9. kristof

kristof Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    We probably just possess a lesser tolerance level for dreadful scenes like this.

10. bw_dave

bw_dave Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 19, 2001
    To be honest I thought this scene was below par in the acting area (for Natalie anyway), but then she was talking to nothing in real life so that wouldn't help.

But what makes me laugh is the way she runs away at the end ... absolute classic! She looks rather awkward (which running in sand can do), and I think that's what stood out for me, and made people in the audience chuckle. And no I'm not in the UK, but Australians are largely from British stock.

At the risk of being flamed by every girl on this board, I thought the running style reminded me a little of what its like when most girls try and throw a cricket ball ... it just makes you want to grin like an idiot.

Didn't ruin the film for me though. A few gawky scenes like that add to a film I reckon, if they're only minor.

11. RichieSm

RichieSm Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2002
    I think you're right about British audiences...they always laugh at Anakin's dream and at the padme recovery scene

12. Green_Lightsaber

Green_Lightsaber Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2002
    Weighing in . . .

I just saw the movie again tonight (3rd x), and frankly, this is just a nonissue for me. She's dazed; she gets up. Is her recovery, to the point where she's overriding the suggestion of the trooper and barking out orders, a little quick? Sure, but did you really want 30-45 minutes taken up with her stumbling around and getting her bearings while mumbling incoherently?

The idea that this ruined the film for anyone suggests to me that some people are a wee bit too sensitive.

And, yes, the hangar was a plotting misstep. No biggie.

13. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    "So why don't we argue about how bad Portman's acting was in the very beginning after the Naboo ship was blown up? It lasted longer than the current scene being discussed, so obviously it is more important! Or is it?"

What are you talking about? The opening scene was one of the few parts where Natalie did act with some emotion (the others being the picnic scene and when she was scratched in the arena). But I can forgive her some wooden lines because she gives me wood.

14. Unstable_Jedi

Unstable_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    Maybe there was a deleted scene revealing they were going to the hangar?
    Everyone laughed at Anakin's dream too, twice out of the 5 times I've seen it. Those times were when there were a lot of college students in the audience. But no one in the entire crowd made a noise when Padme fell out of the gunship. Not once out of 5 times. No one complained about it. You British are amused to easily. o_O

15. Master-Jedi-Smith

Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    No problem Ender. Very interesting comments!

Duckman, why do I get the feeling that Taun We gives you wood as well! :D Just kidding!!!!!!!!!

Would it be possible for RichieSm to reiterate that he has said that the scene is not the worst scene in history (which is the main point of this thread) but that it was the acting that made the scene awkward?

I would then believe that the appropriate thread title should have been "Worst Acting Performance in History - Padme recovery from Cruiser Fall"

And if that is the case, I must say no, it was not the worst, for I have seen "Battlefield Earth", but it is not the best acting either. (plus I still don't think it was funny, or really meant to be funny. Maybe we should all ask GL.)

16. Twelve_Motion

Twelve_Motion Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
    I dont think she was seriously injured, it looked like she just got the wind knocked out of her. If anybody out there has ever had the wind knocked out of her the feeling only lasts for a few seconds, besides when your in the heat of battle, and your adrenalin is flowing humans have been known to preform in-human like tasks, like the old-woman who saved her gradaughter when her car fell on her- just reached down and pulled it up, like wonderwoman.

17. Master-Jedi-Smith

Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    I don't think the condition she was in has anything to do with what this thread is about!

Was she dazed? Did she have the wind knocked out of her? Was she being stoic? Did she not want to look weak in front of the Clone Trooper?

These things have nothing to do with the true purpose of this thread, IMO. The acting of Portman is in question, not the mental/physical state Padme was in.

Or am I totally off? MAN! I'M SO STUPID!!!!!!!!

18. Darth23

Darth23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 1999
    I've seen the movie 8 times.

I've never had a problem with the scene.

I've never heard anyone laugh at it.

I thought Padme's taking control of the situation and ordering the CLonetrooper around was cool.

Conclusion:

I think I should stay away from these boards.

What really amazes me is to thik that someone woudl eb hanging around these boards for eons and decide to finally post a message about THIS.

It's like saying Carrie Fisher blinking her eyes when she fires a blaster in AHN totally ruins the movie. ;)

19. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Can we archive this thread?

I ask because it might possibly be a classic example of everything wrong with SW fans. [face_plain]

20. Charlie_Martel

Charlie_Martel Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2001
    A find the scene no more annoying than when Luke falls a really long distance in ESB and somehow lives. The only difference is Portman is the worst actress on the face of the earth and Mark Hamil is just mediocre :D

21. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    Actually, my candidate for the worst scene is when Leia and Han had their "fight" in ROTJ, after Luke's revelations about Vader.

22. superdestroyer

superdestroyer Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2002
    It reminded me of the stpuid, idiotic stunsts from the Charlie's Angel movies or a bad Kung Fu movie.

Also,
    Hayden Christenson was horrible. His eyebrows or forehead never moves and he just cannot act at all. He is wooden and has no empathy.

23. OB3

OB3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    I can´t see why everybody is
    complaining about that
    scene!
    She´s just a bit hurt and exhausted
    and when the clonetrooper arrives
    to ask if she´s alright she
    simply realises that there´s
    no point in whining (like her future son)
    and forces her self to get up
    again, swallow the pain and
    keep on with the important
    task of tracking down
    Dooku before something
    bad happens to Anakin
    and Obi-Wan.
    Like Obi-Wan asked Anakin
    just a minute before:
    "What would Padmé do?"
    "Her duty!"
    She´s a tough babe!

24. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Worst scene in history? That one scene ruins the whole movie?

That reminds me of one of the reviewers for a Willamette newspaper; he said that Phantom Menace was the worst film of all time, and then launched into his tirade against AOTC.

Jeez, can we say "excessive, exaggerated vitriol"?

It's bad enough when such vitriol surrounds us; I wish it hadn't invaded this forum.

25. SciFi1030

SciFi1030 Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2002
    I'm a pilot and we juomed out of our choppers in the desert doing the sme thing she did. The scene was pefect, she rolled down the dune and was a little dzzy but fine. The sand is very soft and gives when you land so it is very hard to really hurt yourself. You people just have to critize things you just don't understand. I'll see you guys in Episode III.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.