Worst Scene in History - Padme recovery from Cruiser Fall

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by RichieSm, May 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. augusto Jedi Master

star 4
    Jedi-Smith;

Don't worry, keep posting whatever you feel. I just like to sound cranky some days ! :)
  2. Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Master

star 4
    Master-Jedi-Smith, you cannot think of one well acted scene by Portman? Really? Come on...she was on fire during her confession of love to Anakin. :)
  3. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    No problem augusto, I understand.

As for that confession of love Obi-Wan, I am a resonable man, and will concede you that. If you are able to come up with anymore, please let me know!

4. augusto Jedi Master

star 4
    Uh oh, Jedi Smith, I think you are softening up. :)

I think her acting was great when Anakin confessed he murdered the Tuskens. Both pity and disgust at his act at the same time.
  5. Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well Jedi-Master-Smith, overall, I wasn't impressed by Portman's performance either. I say that because I was impressed with her work in other films. Hell, she was phenomenal in 'The Professional', which was her acting debut.
  6. classixboy Jedi Master

star 4
    Ahh this scene is a mini-drama in itself -- the camera zooms in on our galactic heroine slowly as she appears to quiver and writhe in pain. Beside her we see the many indentations in the sand made by her sexy little bod as it rolled down the dune. Then a strapping clone trooper approaches and asks her if she's alright. Amazingly she recovers from her agony, leaps up and declares that she's just fine. Blaster in hand, she heads off to find her man! Whew ... "now where's my dark lover?!"

This is pure CAMP! I love it.
  7. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    As I said before, I love Star Wars!

I did enjoy the scene when they were outside, and he was getting ready to find his mother. She said "Anakin!", and then they embraced. Not to shabby, but then again it was mainly shadows, and she only had one word to say.

I hope I'm not geting to soft. :D (please excuse my excessive use of comas, exclimation points and the smilely face, and any misspelled words!)
  8. black_saber Force Ghost

star 4
    no one relly gave a f~~k and me to so I think it was not that bad it all.
  9. GhostPoet Jedi Knight

star 1
    WHAT is with people ragging on this scene? I can't see it what's wrong with it...both times i've seen it.
  10. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    I must apologize for taking us down this rode.

This was meant to discuss how awful that scene was. I guess my overall point is that many scenes could be considered bad just by the quality of the acting. As for it ruining the movie, let's just say I would never have watched the Phantom Menace again if that was all I cared about in the movie.

Oh, and I too liked her in the Professional.
  11. Hector Jedi Knight

star 3
    Worst scene? Wrong. Bad scene? Also wrong. She dosen't "leap up," and no matter how many times people say she does, it will not make it true.
  12. classixboy Jedi Master

star 4
    "leap up" = intentional hyperbole. If you watch the scene closely, you will notice an exaggerated contrast between her agony at the opening of the scene and her miraculous recovery.
  13. The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus

star 7
    THIS 5 SECOND SCENCE HAS RUINED STAR WARS FOR ME. I'M NEVER WATCHING ANY OF THE MOVIES AGAIN. :_|
  14. DarthRaptor Jedi Master

star 1
    I admit that the first time or two I saw the movie, I felt the same way about this scene. Now that I've seen AOTC five times, it doesn't bother me at all. Like some things do in Star Wars, it seems weird until you see it a gazillion times. Then, it seems natural. Sort of...

DR
  15. JediMasterWilkyCrlis Jedi Knight

star 1
    I agree that it is one of the worst scenes in the movie because Padme is laying on the ground and she looks hurt but as soon as the clone trooper asks her if shes alright she gets right up. Plus Natalie Portmans acting in that scene is bad especially when she says "hurry".
  16. Karr-Nage Jedi Padawan

I agree that it is a really bad scene. Both times i have seen the film the audience has erupted in laughter at it.
  17. Ender_needs_Bean Jedi Knight

star 2
    Okay, there is no way I'm going to go through all of these posts, but here is my take. For some reason, I don't even think this has been addressed yet!!!

The scene in question (the wide shot) is entirely CG! I don't believe it actually is Padme. I might be mistaken (I've only seen it twice), but I do remember thinking it looked awful, and CG was the main reason for that. I remember thinking, "Is Lucas so lazy, when he doesn't shoot a proper master shot, he just CG's one; actors and all?!?"

Seriously, am I delusional? I work for a special FX company, and I'm pretty good at spotting keys, and CG work. Unless, I was delusional, the wide shot of Padme getting up is just plain bad CG animation.

Another weak one is Anakin riding the beast and falling off. (during the Sound of Music romp through the daisies scene)

In both cases, the CG work reminded me of Legolas riding the Cave Troll in FOTR. Entirely jarring, if you ask me!
  18. Karr-Nage Jedi Padawan

The scene with Padme is bad to her bad acting during the scene ,although i agree that anakin riding that beast did look pretty poor.
  19. Hatter Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm utterly amazed at the reaction some people have to this scene. I saw AOTC again on Saturday, and after they ran off, I was thinking, "what the hell's so bad about that??". It's not like Padmé is screaming in agony. She just lets out a little moan, probably from being disoriented. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it!
  20. Ardens_Furore Jedi Master

star 4
    I didn't think there was anything wrong with that scene when I first saw it. It's not like she jumps up. First, she props herself up to a bit of a sitting position, then she pushes off the ground and gets up, not too fast either. None of the audience laughed at that scene. I only realized that people had a problem with it when I read about it here. And then when I saw the movie again, I was specifically watching for that part and it still didn't bother me. In fact, it made perfect sense to me. I just don't get it.
  21. Karr-Nage Jedi Padawan

Dont get me wrong ,it dosnt spoil the film for me in any way ,i just think it is a poorly acted scene.
  22. Tiershon_Fett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    When I was seven and a complete idiot, I swung wildly around a huge tree on the farm I lived on, and the branch broke. I fell flat on my back and got so totally winded, I passed out, and it was very painful. But after I got up and gasped a bit, I was okay. I did get a badly bruised back, but that was it. The ground I fell on was as hard as a rock.
  23. Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master

star 4
    if that scene "ruined" the movie for you you got some problems. the scene isn't that bad, its sorta funny, people need to calm down.
  24. Ender_needs_Bean Jedi Knight

star 2
    JESUS CHRIST... You guys missed the point again... Unless I'm mistaken the scene wasn't even acted... THE WIDE SHOT OF HER GETTING UP AND TALKING TO THE CLONE TROOPER IS ENTIRELY CG!!! Nobody has commented on this besides me, so I may be incorrect, but I believe me... I work in the industry and can spot CG and/or matte lines easier than most.
  25. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    Thought I would chime in again.

First, maybe I have the worst sense of humor, but I just did not see what was so damn funny about that scene. And I mean that particular scene, and not the whole falling out of the ship, rolling down the hill part, but the laying on the ground, coming to, getting up, bad acting, and running off after the is or isn't he CGI clone trooper.

Second, whether or not it is CG, I think the scene was important, but the "acting" (if that is what CG characters do) was poor.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.