Worst Scene in History - Padme recovery from Cruiser Fall

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by RichieSm, May 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Portman_Fan Jedi Knight

even as a portman fan, i have to agree with many here who say that cruiser fall was indeed one of the worst moments of acting from her. it made me wince every time i saw it.
  2. Ender_needs_Bean Jedi Knight

star 2
    AHHHHHHH! I'm getting furious... I've posted about a billion times why it looks bad. IT'S NOT ACTUALLY PORTMAN It's an awful CG animation of her because Lucas was to unorganized to get a shot of her hitting the ground. That whole scene until the closeup has nothing to do with her acting, because it's not her! THERE... THE MATTER IS CLOSED!
  3. AncientYoda Jedi Padawan

"allocate that part of the movie for a well placed sneeze, then it won't bother you. "

lmao :D
  4. TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost

star 2
    I saw AOTC for the third time yesterday, and I tried to look for this bad acting...but between the landing and her waking up a good two or three minutes passes by, (correct me if I'm wrong, please) and Padme's reaction to her injuries is far more realistic than when Leia gets shot in the arm in ROTJ! (she can still fire a blaster after all that agony?)

Edit: I also have to add that before I saw AOTC, I heard this scene evoked laughter from the audience ?[face_plain] I'm not sure what was funny, I suppose I was still reeling from Obi-Wan's tongue lashing of Anakin.
  5. Ssorrol Jedi Knight

star 2
    THE FACT THIS THREAD HAS GONE ON FOR 8 PAGES IS MUCH FUNNIER THAN HER FALL OUT OF THE AIRSHIP!!! LOL! :p

PS: for all you freaking bashers out there, go waste away whatching the TV instead of b*tching about a great movie! ;)
  6. Ender_needs_Bean Jedi Knight

star 2
    I WILL POST, YET AGAIN, (THIS TIME IN BOLD CAPS)

THAT WAS NOT PADME AT ALL. THE ENTIRE SHOT, INCLUDINIG PADME, WAS COMPUTER ANIMATED. HOW CAN HER ACTING BE IN QUESTION IF IT WASN'T EVEN HER? IT LOOKS FUNNY BECAUSE THE ANIMATION LOOKS GOOFY... I PRAY THAT SOME OF YOU ACTUALLY READ THIS, BECAUSE I'VE ALREADY POSTED IT OVER 5 TIMES!!!! EACH TIME MY TACTICS GET WORSE, AND THE POST BECOMES MORE AND MORE INCOHERENT, BUT I DON'T CARE... NOW YOU KNOW... IT'S NOT PADME!

Okay, sorry guys! I lost it for a minute there. Seriously though, this thread has well over a hundred posts, and NOBODY noticed that the entire shot, including Padme, was fake.
  7. JohnWilliams00 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well in that case, Shrek and Woody give much better performances than Natalie. Natalie can't act whether she's real or digital.
  8. Harlowe Thrombey Jedi Knight

star 2
    Natalie can't act? Have you frickin' seen The Professional, Beautiful Girls or even a little film called Attack of the Clones. Whatever. The scene was fine, get some lives.
  9. Ender_needs_Bean Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yay! Somebody finally realized what I did. The scene in question has no real actors in it. It's entirely animated. Padme ends up looking a little worse than the "Final Fantasy" broad.

The funniest part is that in another week or so, somebody will start a thread about how this scene was animated... Sometimes, you just can't win!
  10. ryanof1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually, the funniest part of the scene is when Clone Troop runs over and asks if she's all right! Then, Padme whirls around and barks orders at him. Clone Troops can't win.
  11. JohnWilliams00 Jedi Master

star 4
    Padme is rude to Yoda (at the beginning) and barks at CloneTroopers.

*note to self* Never show any concern for Padme, she'll just be rude to you. :D
  12. uruseiranma Jedi Knight

star 1
    and if you notice, if it makes a difference, it's the same clonetrooper who fell out of the ship. You can see his tracks coming down the sand dune.

As an animation student, that scene bugged me (I took my dad to see it last night, and that shot was one that he chuckled at and we discussed on the way home). It probably would have been more effective if Portman had pulled herslef halfway up. If you pull yourself up slowly with your arms, some could think you may not be alright. Just the whole "Yes," and the 5 second back on her feet needed tweaking.
  13. DarthPolonious Jedi Knight

star 1
    Although the scene does not bother me at all, I must admit her recovery does seem a bit quick, perhaps if it only took a few more seconds it would be fine. Now as far as paadme being rude and such, well look at the film, she is a VERY BAD influence on Anikin! Tells him to disobey orders, it was HER idea to use her as bait when the cameras were turned off. She dragged him off to get Obi Wan, SHE KISSED HIM first. She chose to wear that sexy black leathery outfit by the fireplace (yummie!)with him in the room. Never trust a politition and she is one! Padme = Bad!! I love her though :)
  14. JohnWilliams00 Jedi Master

star 4
    I also forgot the part where she cuts off Jar Jar. JJ was giving a heartfelt speech and Padme rudely cuts him off "I'm sure you have business to attend to."

She a little devil she is. [face_devil]

Funny thing is, we've talked about that scene where she gets up fast I'm almost used to it. [face_laugh]. I've grown accustomed to the bad editing/digital face (her face looked like it was a CG "mask" over a real body)....it's a moment we'll tell our children about.

"Oh yeah, back in 2002 we had a great laugh at this scene with Padme. It's now considered classic, right next to the Stormtrooper bumping his head." :D
  15. Kelyne Jedi Knight

star 3
    Just saw the movie in wonderful digital. Man its like seeing a different movie. Its funny though, not one person even snickered once when Padma fell out of the ship. The only reason I even thought of it was because of this thread and you know what......it plays fine. I think people are over analyzing this movie in ways that no movie could ever stand up too. Its like asking why James Bond is still alive after 20 movies......because its a #@#@$% movie. I have seen this movie 4 times and have not heard one sound during the above mentioned scene. I am really sick of this whole line of thinking.....it ruins the fun of the movie and its why many critics did not like the movie. I really think this needs repeating......mainly because it has not really set in. This is Star Wars and nothing about it is real to science. Shocked. Amazed. Let me take the argument a bit further.....logic is not always followed in all movies. Gasp. Surprise. Pinch me am I still breathing. Need I point out every illogical and goofy thing about Star Wars. Hopefully most of us get caught up in the story and don't notice or care about certain unrealistic things. I will just share how this line of thinking ruins a movie: Why were Spidermans web shooters on his wrists when in real life a Spider shoots webbing near its mouth? Based on that logic Peter Parker should be shooting webbing from his throat. I could go on with this but I wont. Please let go and enjoy ATOC its really a fun movie and after all....its Star Wars.
  16. KevinPark Jedi Knight

star 1
    The worst scene was the 'Sound of Music - The Hills are alive' clone of the scene... in which anakin falls off whatever that thing was.
  17. Kyber Jedi Padawan

I have to agree, the scene is rubbish and does bother me. I think the worst think about it is when she runs off though, she runs like one of the army of police officers in Dominion tank police, with the high knees and stupid arms. Kyber
  18. 0bi-Wan Jedi Knight

star 2
    I second that, Natalie can't act. I have seen the Professional, and Beautiful Girls, which are...ummm... 2 of the only 5 movies she has made.

Instead of dissing other people about what a great actress she is, go read some books about Stanislavski, and how much Natalie sucks according to his theories.

--O.W.
  19. SLAVE2 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Natalie Portman is a very good actress, and a hell of a lot better than Carrie Fisher ever was.
  20. godzuki Jedi Youngling

She has proven she can act in other movies(her acting ability is still up for debate even in those) but all she is doing in these movies is reading cue cards, hell she might as well be holding the script then maybe she could concentrate on the performance rather then trying to see what phil the card holder wrote.

And people complained about jake lloyd...
  21. godzuki Jedi Youngling

Carrie Fisher was a coke fiend, we should just be lucky she didnt come to the set with her knee pads trying to score some cash for smack.
  22. Razorback Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Natalie Portman can't act?

Well... there goes another person on my list of people whose future opinion I must ignore.

Not only is it an absolutist statement but it is so far from the truth it makes the comment cartoonish (you know... Loony Toons or whatever). ;)

RB
  23. EvilEwok Jedi Padawan

I'd have to say that Padme's miraculous recovery has to be up there with Han and Leia's pathetic attempts at stumbling around in the space worm thing scene in ESB!! ...the 'I am NOT a committee' one? LOL!!
  24. godzuki Jedi Youngling

There is a big difference between "acting" and reading cue cards. If they wanted someone who can read 7th grade dialogue they shouldve called me all i ask is the tightest shirt and free roam of the kraft foods cart.

And i think you wont be "ignoring" anything you will disregarding there statements. Because if you were truly ignoring them you wouldnt have replied.

edit: Far from the truth? Is there some sort of end all be all fact sheet ive missed which outlines who CAN and CANT act? Saying she cant act and having it be an opinion is one thing saying she can act and its the truth is another.

Sometimes i wish i had head in the ass detector, cause then i couldve been warned of this thread.
  25. Jedi-Nur-Elina-Mani- Jedi Master

star 2
    i have seen film 4 times already, and all the time everybody laugh at this scene. me i not really see to much into this to be bothered by this myself, but hey richiesm if this ruin film for you then i find this shocking, i think worse was having anyone let alone c3p0 making jokes while in battle arena while jedi are dying.
    This scene should have been very dramatic in way saving private ryan begining bit was, but adding humour (if it can be called this) took away and made it much less dramatic.
    Not enough i have to say to ruin whole film no no if anything that was maybe portmans overall acting which is shame as she very good actress so why she not do well here...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.