Worst sports injuries

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by rechedelphar, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    What are some of the worst injuries you've seen? Obviously Eduardo of Arsenal from today, any American who hasn't seen it should know its pretty bad. Willis Mcgahee's from 2004 Fiesta bowl comes to mind. What are some others?
  2. RX_Sith C&G Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
  3. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    There are some pretty bad hockey ones out there, including the recent throat-slash. I was eating dinner when that one came on SportsCenter...

Tyrone Prothro's broken leg a few years bad was pretty bad as well, saw that one more times than I wanted to.
  4. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    Skateboard Big Air

I don't actually know what injuries he had, but that one looked awful.
  5. DarkPrince Jedi Master

star 4
  6. Kyp Force Ghost

star 4
    I haven't seen anything worse than Eduardo's.
  7. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    Yeah...and what is horrible is that I've seen that a few too many times with horses so even though it was a person it has little effect on me. Awful, but I didn't have the same reaction as I did to the skateboarder falling from that height which I can't even watch the landing still.

Desensitivity, ftl.
  8. Darth_Omega Force Ghost

star 6
  9. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    I was watching that when it happened. He hit so hard that it knocked his shoes off. He walked off from the scene, miraculously. I think he punctured a lung, and had a few broken bones. Staying limp in the air and flaying around is probably what saved him. If he'd tensed up, he would have suffered even more seriously, and most likely deadly consequences.
  10. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
  11. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Not really sports, but up until Eduardo's effort Sid Vicious's wrestling ankle break was the worst I'd ever seen. Well that and this one.
  12. George_Roper Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Yeah, that's pretty bad. :p
  13. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Ew, some of those leg break ones are brutal. I think those get the high spots because they're just so disgusting to see. Have any of you actually been present for such an event? I don't think I have...

As far as the worst injury I've actually been present for (or even witnessed live on tv, not on YouTube), I've gotta go with the Trent Green concussion from week 1 of the 2006 season. Now, it may not seem like much, but if you check out the video, notice that it's in slow mo and (especially in the closeup) his head just flies back into the ground. Now imagine what that looked like in real time.

The really, really ugly thing about this one wasn't the hit itself, though, but the aftermath. I've seen lots of guys get knocked out, frazzled, etc. in football. The max I think I'd ever seen someone out was maybe a minute.

Green was out cold for 11 minutes. That is almost unheard of. And they wheeled him off on a gurney. Honestly, I was sick with worry, I thought he'd broken his neck or something. I think most the crowd felt the same, too. Just an ugly, ugly injury. Apparently he couldn't think straight for a few days because he stayed in the hospital that long...

The worst part, though, was probably that, unlike every other half-way decent group of human beings on the planet, the entire Bangels team just walked away, cocky, didn't seem to care, didn't show the slightest bit of concern. It was unreal. What scumbags.

So, yes, overall, that was definitely the worst I've personally witnessed.

-sj loves kevin spacey
  14. DRHJ9 Force Ghost

star 4
    Raiders v Niners

Napolean McCallum's leg gets shattered (Knee does a 180 bend, with foot goind towards the stomach).

I can't really describe it that good, I hope someone else watched this too, or maybe not:p
  15. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    There's obviously the throat injuries to Malarchuk and Zednik. There was also the freak injury to former NFL running back Robert Edwards in an NFL sponsored beach football game at the pro-bowl back in the late 90's.
  16. George_Roper Jedi Grand Master

star 7
  17. BobaFrank Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Can't remember the NBA game or the player, but it was last year. He went up for a layup and when he came down he bent his knee about 90 degrees the wrong way. I almost threw up because that happened to my knee in highschool football.
  18. Juliet316 Streak for Colours Bonanza Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
    Besides the Zednick injury (and that was pretty scary and gross seeing the blood on the ice), the one injury I remember seeing was the neck injury to Michael Irvin at the time in Philadelphia. I'm no Cowboy fan, but any half - decent human being is not going to want to see another human being injured like that. That's the same reason why I have ZERO respect for Philadelphia fans. Their cheering of Irvin's injury made me almost want to have the NFL do what they do with Soccer games for unruly/disrespectful fans and have the Eagles play in an empty stadium their next home game.

What utterly classless fans.
  19. darth_gersh Force Ghost

star 6
    You are awesom'o
  20. Lane_Winree Force Ghost

star 4
    One that sticks out in my head for some reason is that foul ball Jermaine Dye hit off his leg while playing in Oakland during the playoffs.
  21. yankee8255 Force Ghost

star 6
    Alpine skiing has had two particularly gruesome ones this year

Scott MacCartney crash at Kitzbühel. Amazingly, he was knocked unconscious, and suffered a concussion, but no other serious injuries. The shot of him lying there twitching is pretty awful. The Austrian commentator is saying "Bitte fahrts weg", ie "Move away from the shot".

Matthias Lanzinger wasn't so lucky. he has a compound fracture of his lower left leg, and it's going to have to be amputated.
  22. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Amazing how one second can change a man's life forever. I feel horrible for Lazinger
  23. yankee8255 Force Ghost

star 6
    Turns out I actually know the guy's sister -- she's the sister-in-law of one of my wife's best friends. Really horrible story, their father had just died a few years ago in rather tragic circumstances, now this.

An open question is whether they could have saved his leg if they had been able to treat him sooner. They only had a civilian helicopter at the race site, not a paramedic helicopter. It ended up taking 5 hours until he could be operated on.
  24. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    sterling sharp breaking his neck anyone?

:snoopy
  25. darth_gersh Force Ghost

star 6
    What about Alex Zanadari
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Zanardi

If you youtube it you can see the crash. Just can't post it because I'm at work.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.