main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Worth Dying For, Worth Killing For, Worth Going to Hell For: Sin City movies

Discussion in 'Community' started by wild_karrde, Feb 26, 2004.

1. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    From AICN:

Hey folks, Harry here... well it has finally been announced... Robert Rodriguez's next project is... SIN CITY - yup, Frank Miller's SIN CITY - as in that comic that would never be sold by Miller - it has been done. I'm not currently at liberty to discuss who all has been cast in the film, as... well they're all in negotiations, but I will tell you this... if you think the cast for BATMAN: INTIMIDATION is cool - you ain't seen nothing yet. In VARIETY - they mention that Robert has already shot the film's opening with Josh Hartnett and Marley Shelton. But, I promise - Josh isn't playing Marv.... It is killing me to not say - but hopefully all the deals will get more complete soon. Let me tell ya how Robert got Frank to do this though...

Turns out - this has been a project that Robert has been secretly developing for years now without the rights. After finally getting the script where he wanted it - he called up Frank Miller and essentially got him down to Austin to watch the shooting of the opening 9-10 minutes of SIN CITY. Robert told him, if after these few days you don't want me to do the movie, fine, you'll have a really cool short film to show your friends. Apparently there is something amazing about the look of what Robert is doing with the film that he has told me, he can't describe - only that he'll show me sometime soon, but whatever it was - Frank fell in love. Robert also took the completed - all effects finished openin 9-10 minutes to L.A. with him to show each of the "dream cast members" that he hoped to nab for the film. It looks like he'll get them all, but for now - you'll have to guess - cuz it is too early to say for certain who is in. The film is apparently weaving multiple storylines together, not unlike PULP FICTION, but using 'I Believe' - SIN CITY, THAT YELLOW BASTARD and THE BIG FAT KILL as a basis & I think BOOZE, BROADS & BULLETS too. Robert told Variety that Miller would be his co-director on the film. Telling Fleming that, "I decided I didn't want to adapt Frank's book, but rather translate it to the screen with the same visual flourishes that Frank used so well."

Seems Robert has all sorts of suprises up his sleeves this day, it'll be interesting to see if anything else is coming soon from Troublemaker Studios!

2. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

Robert needs to cut the cost-effective filmmaking and do the source material justice by assuring, for once, that he has decent funds and a reasonable amount of time to make this movie. And none of that composing almost entirely on the set crap.

~PAd

3. DarthVegas

DarthVegas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 18, 2000
    This is GREAT news.

I was a big fan of the series, but especially A DAME TO KILL FOR. That was just genius. I've been reading Miller's work since the 81 Daredevil's when he brought on Electra. Wasn't a big fan of the whole Martha Washington series though.

Anyways, can't wait to see more details.

4. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I can actually see Josh Hartnett playing Marv. Marv is the ultimate "Film noir" dumb chump.

5. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Here's a crapload of news from AICN:

Hey folks, Harry here... Michael Fleming at Variety.com has broke a story about how Robert Rodriguez, in order to be able to have Frank Miller as his co-director on SIN CITY, resigned from the Director's Guild (DGA) as to not set a potentially damaging precedent which could be abused outside of this particularly unique situation. However, in talking to Michael Fleming he spilled the beans on some of the additional "Holy ****" cool things about SIN CITY.

#1: He says that Quentin Tarantino will be a "Special Guest Director" on one of the Sin City stories in the film!!!

#2: In addition to the names mentioned in yesterday's story - he mentioned to Fleming that he's been talking with Johnny Depp, Steve Buscemi, Christopher Walken and Michael Douglas!

Add those names to Leonardo DiCaprio, Bruce Willis, Elijah Wood, Mickey Rourke, Brittany Murphy, Kate Bosworth, Jaime King, Josh Hartnett, Marley Shelton, Maria Bello and Benicio Del Toro and you've got a potentially amazing line up, possibly the biggest all star line up for a comic adaptation period.

And that's the latest from SIN CITY...

6. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    For those of us who aren't as good with comics, whats Sin City.

7. MALICE_MIZER

MALICE_MIZER Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 10, 2003
    Words....in...complete...awe.

8. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Sin City is a comic by Frank Miller, the same guy who basically re-invented Batman in the 80s as the current dark and brooding badass. I never actually read the series myself, but it's basically like a Pulp Fiction kinda thing - a bunch of different stories with some similar characters.

9. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    This movie has gone up to my " Must Watch List" along with Batman Begins and Ep. 3.
    Look at this cast. Bruce Willis, Micheal Clark Ducun, Micheal Madsen, Josh Hartinent, Jessica Alba, Brittny Murphy, ect. It's like he just took every third actor/actress and put them in the movie! Plus theres rumors that Alba has a nude scene.

10. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    I'm hoping this Dark Horse property will be better than Hellboy. I keep hearing about Toro being a big fan and Mike Mignola was always on set but the film felt like Spawn or Judge Dread to me...boring
    (I was at the 2002 ComicCon Hellboy panel btw and was pretty hyped at the time)

I love Miller's artstyle in the series. Saw the cool poster up at superherohype.com with Mickey Rourke(?) as Marv. The star cameo line-up list looks impressive. Rodriguez is a good choice as the director(El Mariachi films). Please don't mess this one up, hombre!

11. TheEmperorsProtege

TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2004
    the comic book and its creator being co-director is reason enough for me to put this movie on my MUST-WATCH-LIST!!!! :cool:

-Mel

12. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
  13. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    the pic looks pretty cool!

-Mel

14. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    I sat through the whole entire SW presentation at this past ComicCon. As soon as it wrapped and everyone headed out back to the LFL pavillion to buy the ROTS t-shirt I thought about staying in for the Sin City presentation...but I was too sore and wanted to walk around. Outside there was a huge line for Sin City!
    Thought I would make it to the Dark Horse booth a bit later for the signings but there already was a huge line! Got to see the cool posters after the all clear though. They're pretty awesome and done in the comic book art style. I cannot wait until this film comes out!

15. Z-95

Z-95 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 24, 2000
    ^^^ [face_laugh]

i actually did the opposite. i did not go the SW panel but got in line for Sin City. indeed it was a long line. it snaked out a waaaay long ways. dude i can not imagine a longer line.

they showed the intro to the movie (what Rodriguiz showed to the actors and film people before he got funds for the movie) it was bloody awesome. he says that the footage should be online in about three weeks.

16. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    Yeah, that Sin City Hall H line has just got to be the longest line of the Con! At least the longest that I have seen while I was there for 3 days.

I did hear about this intersting 10 minute footage he put together to shop Sin City around Hollywood...I'd really like to see it when it is available.

Cool news!

17. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    he says that the footage should be online in about three weeks.

can't wait to see it!!!!! :D

-Mel

18. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Trailers up.
    I have to say.
    Miller and Robert= Geekgasim!

Two things I love. Violence and nudity. Ahh, perfection.

19. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Did I forget to link to the footage?

20. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    not found Mastadge :(

-Mel

21. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Sorry. I'd host it myself but I don't have enough server space; it's 23 megs or so and I've only got 20.

22. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    how about that
    is that the footage you were looking for?`

-Mel

23. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ..well, i'm torn on this one..

On one hand, Robert Rodriguez has probably snaked his way into my top 5 favourite director's of all-time..

On the other hand, i find Frank Miller to be an incredibly overrated 3-trick pony..

I'll still see it (i love Rodriguez), but i will go in with reservations...Miller's theatrical track record, while brief, isn't exactly stellar..

24. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Drew:

I find them both overrated. Miller immensely so. Rodriguez does a lot right in his movies, and can do slick pretty action like no one's business (plus he's got a working relationship with Salma Hayek which is a big plus), but his films also seem oddly paced and sometimes incomprehensible.

Still, I'm looking forward to this one.

25. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I think that Comic-Con footage I saw was brilliant. The cinematography looks Academy worthy. I can't wait to see this.