main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Worth Dying For, Worth Killing For, Worth Going to Hell For: Sin City movies

Discussion in 'Community' started by wild_karrde, Feb 26, 2004.

1. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    2 new movies would be amazing

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Sin City sequel finishes filming.

The "Sin City" sequel has had a title change and will now go by the official name of "Frank Miller's Sin City: A Dame to Kill For".

Miller co-directed the film with Robert Rodriguez, co-write the screenplay, and created the comics on which the franchise is based. Talking with Collider, Robert Rodriguez says the second film is essentially finished and Miller is already looking forward to a third film:

"Yeah - the second Sin City– I was just here with Frank Miller last night and we were watching it last night. [We] finished the cut, effects are being done, it will come out in August.

He [Miller] watched Part 2 - he watched it last night with me and then at the end he said, he didn't have any comments, he was very happy with it. And he said, now about part three. Started telling me how he's going to do part three. So he's already there on part three."

Man, it may have taken an extra 7 years to make this, but hopefully it'll live up to the first one and be worth the wait.

I hope they carry over "Cells" as a theme, even if only in the marketing. Very rare when a piece of trailer music so perfectly captures the mood and energy of a film that it becomes so associated with the film as to be incorporated into things like the DVD menus and such.

MistrX likes this.
  3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    First photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EW has the full size pics and some comments from RR:

Alba reprises her role as Nancy Callahan, who is still dancing at Kadie's. Rodriguez says she's "out for revenge. She is sick of being treated, as she puts it, 'as a piece of (tail)'. You see a little girl in that first film. By the end of this, she's the avenging angel."

Rodriguez also talked about Gordon-Levitt's character saying: "He beat the wrong guy at poker. [His character] is completely new and fresh. [This movie] lends itself very well to 3D, because the images are so stripped down and abstract."

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I really loved the original, and I also enjoyed Miller's gonzo The Spirit despite it being awful in every account imaginable.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Trailer is up!

Not the instant classic trailer like the first film's teaser, sadly, but a few of the visual flairs are intriguing (the glowing eyes, the glowing hair) and it starts to come together by the very, very end, but it feels rough and kinda cheap by comparison to the first film's teaser.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    New Comic-Con red band trailer is up:

(WARNING: CONTENT)

Much better than the others, still nothing as catchy or iconic as "Cells", though.

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Saw this today and liked it. Marv has been my favorite character but Eva Green at this point is a force of nature though I admit my view may be skewered because I friggin love her in the Penny Dreadful series.

Lesson: The dialogue of the PT was done that way on purpose to try and recall a time where wooden dialogue somehow worked. You can watch old serials and the way they talk works for the style. It did not so much work in the PT because it did not fit with everything else that surrounds it. In these Sin City movies, if they did not have the stylization they do the dialogue and acting would be terrible. But it all works great in this combination.

The 3d is nothing special but it's not a mistake to see it that way unless you are in that anti 3d crowd.

Cool movie.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd actually disagree about the 3D- I thought it was particularly fantastic and really made the art style pop in a way that kept the film feeling fresh, visually.

The film itself is still pretty good- but not as good as the original. A few of the smaller stories aren't that strong (and some characters, like Miho, don't come across as interesting this go around) and the film overall doesn't have the momentum and full-on glee of the first film. Plus, you're kind of kept off bal;ance by the back of your mind trying to figure out the chronology of events between these stories and those in the original film.

(Though, admittedly, that probably has more to do with it having been a VERY long time since I last watched the original [back when the Extended Cut DVD came out] but, still, I had an easier time figuring out Cloud Atlas)

9. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I didn't care for the original and haven't bothered revisiting it since. But I remember it being a fairly big hit financially, and a huge hit with critics and fans. Any theories on why it's tanking so hard?

10. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    They waited too long IMO. I mean, personally I don't think there was much of a need for a sequel anyway: I liked the first one, but I didn't love it, and it was so overly grimdark that I had no desire to see it again; it was original but that was about it. Still, if they had struck while the iron was hot and people were excited about it I think the sequel would have done well, but by now it's just lost it's steam. I think as time went by people realized it was actually pretty gimmicky.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There are several: far, far poorer release date (end of August vs beginning of April), huge gap between film releases (9 years burns off any momentum), less effective marketing (the first one did a clear job of setting up the characters with a very catchy and exciting trailer campaign- to the point where the trailer music became an unofficial part of the film's soundtrack; this one proceeded as if the audience would have full familiarity with the characters and events from the first film despite the aforementioned release gap- and that was paired with that awful dubstep music which certainly isn't going to pull in the older audience these films are aimed at) and the film itself was less effective than the original.

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought it was decent, but what the hell was Strax doing in this movie?

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  14. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    Man this movie is tanking so badly at the BO. Sadly, its true...no matter how long they waited to make this movie. I was gonna see it yesterday after GotG but decided to wait until the DVD comes out. Even though it had Eva Green in it, I don't think she was enough to really pull people into the theater to see it. A lot of people I've met has never heard of her...and she's been around over ten years. Oh well, but I hear she was great in this film...but it doesn't warrant me enough to see it just yet. I wanted to...but eventually I'll see it someday.

15. KissMeImARebel

Nov 25, 2003
    Eva needs a new agent or something. She's got the talent (and obviously the looks), but she keeps ending up in these roles that I imagine were turned down by 5 other people before she got an offer. She needs to take smaller roles in better projects instead of hoping for a hit when all signs point to disaster.

16. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Agreed because 300: Rise of an Empire sucked.

And this one is doing poorly. Everything Frank Miller touches turns to crap. He put out two good Batman graphic novels then crapped the bed with DKSA and ASBAR. Get him AWAY from movies.

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

RR talking about Sin City 2.

KissMeImARebel likes this.
  18. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I remember the first one being good, but then again I was fifteen when I saw it, so it was probably bad.

19. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Yep I was around the same age too when I saw it with my buddy. In retrospect it was more like, "hur bewbs and Frodo."

20. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    Agreed...Green's agent should be fired. I'd like Eva to consider being in a Marvel movie though...at least you know for sure that won't tank and she has enough experience to be in one.

21. KissMeImARebel

Nov 25, 2003
    Yup. I mean, by all means, keep taking some of these femme fatale parts that's she's perfect for, they're a good niche for her, but looking at her imdb profile, she doesn't seem to be doing much else. She needs to do what I heard the rumor was that ScarJo did: sat down with her team and said "get me in anything so I'm not forgotten", and so they got her in IM2 -- it was a cliche role in a rushed sequel -- but it got her into the MCU and now look at her career. I doubt Natalie Portman was all that eager to be Thor's love interest, but it kept her in the public eye. Or Zoe Saldana who's been willing to be hidden behind CGI and green makeup and took a role in the new Star Trek even though Uhura isn't particularly prominent. Frances McDormand was in Transformers 3, and you know, she brought her A game and is probably the only thing I remember about that movie. You've got to get your face out there in big projects.

22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I walked out the first one after 30 mins and got a refund. I think I'll skip this.

23. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002

there has been talk of amora the enchantress in thor 3....
    [​IMG]

24. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    This ain't the Marvel thread, folks.

I'm genuinely surprised this movie has so many big names attached to it.

25. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I think Eva Green was the only thing that made the 300 sequel watchable, but that's just me.

Fully agree that no one in Hollywood should give Miller the time of day. His seminal works are legendary, but the man is now poison, on and off the four colored medium. I wanted to see Dame to Kill for in the theater but considering those reviews and performance, perhaps I'll just wait for the DVD release three months from now.