main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson WOTC drops Star Wars license

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by firstsonofsolo, Jan 29, 2010.

1. firstsonofsolo

firstsonofsolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2006
    Sorry if this has been posted. I looked but didn't see anything.

Looks like Wizards of the Coast has stopped their Star Wars line.
    RPG's and Mini's.

http://www.examiner.com/x-12883-Boise-Gaming-Lifestyle-Examiner~y2010m1d29-Star-Wars-Roleplaying-saga-ends-again

Wizards of the Coast, the publishers of the Star Wars Roleplaying Game Saga Edition and Star Wars Miniatures announced on Thursday, January 28th that they will not be renewing their license with Lucasfilm for the Star Wars properties. WotC_BigGuy released this information through the Official Star Wars game forums on Wizards? official website so that players will not be blindsided by the change.

WotC_BigGuys, a forum moderator and Wizards employee, confirmed that the remaining publications will still make print as the final chapters in the games. Galaxy of Intrigue and The Unknown Regions will be the final publications for the RPG. The final miniatures lines will be the recently released The Dark Times and an upcoming set, Masters of the Force.

This comes as a big surprise to many players who recently witnessed Wizards dropping the Star Wars Constructible Miniatures game which was purchased along with the holdings of WizKids. WotC_BigGuys confirmed a major reason for the ending of these lines is due to the current state of economic affairs and the market for such games.

The Sage Edition of the Star Wars Roleplaying Game is based on the d20 system which was popularized by the flagship title of Wizards of the Coast, Dungeons and Dragons. The miniatures also followed in the footsteps of D&D and were a combination of D&D miniatures and the Saga Edition rules.

Mike, Brandon have you guys heard this yet?

2. Zedd

Zedd Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 20, 2007
    I had not, but I just started getting emails/PMs from other people I know, so I would have found out by now.

It was bound to happen eventually, but it's still sad.

3. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    I knew this would happen when the Bella Sera Minis came out. Little girls play with horses have ruined the world of minis! [face_clown]

4. Vangarian

Vangarian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2003
    That's why I gave up on WotC when they bailed on the original D20 line of Books and switched to the SAGA Edition. I was fed up with them reinventing the Wheel. Hence my move back to Star Wars D6 by WEG.

Van