main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

WotC Info Part II.5

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by MJK_WotC, Feb 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MJK_WotC

MJK_WotC WotC Product Manager, Star Wars TCG VIP

Feb 1, 2002
    ...and there will be BOTH 11-card and 5-card booster packs. 11-card booster packs will have a Rare in every pack....

2. Young_Ben

Young_Ben Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2001
    Will the 5-card packs be cheaper?

3. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    Any clues towards the distribution of rares, commons, etc. in the two pack types?

4. SirEvelyn

SirEvelyn Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2002
    There is an upside to this...at least people can buy a cheap five card pack and still legitimately say they have purchased the product and looked at the cards...

5. Ocelot_X

Ocelot_X Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2001
    >>>11-card booster packs will have a Rare in every pack....

Do you mean to say that the 5-card packs WON'T have a rare, or won't have a rare in every pack? That sounds awfully, well, stupid. In most CCGs, you quickly accumulate enough copies of all the commons and uncommons in a set (usually 1 box's worth), and then just buy packs for the rare. A cheaper, 5-card pack that still had a rare every time would be great for those players trying to complete a set or get the rares they need for a deck. If all I'll get is commons and uncommons, why not just buy the 11-card pack, get twice as many commons and uncommons, and a rare to boot? Whatever the 11-card pack costs, the 5 card pack ought to be no more than 1/3 as much, and less if there aren't any rares in them.

6. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    From the Hasbro Press release on TFN home page:"STAR WARS TRADING CARD GAME: ATTACK OF THE CLONES:

This Wizard of the Coast (snip) (Approximate Retail Price: 2-player Starter - $6.99; 5-card booster - $1.49; Ages: 10 & up)"

7. Darksbane

Darksbane Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2002
    I have to agree if there are no guaranteed rares in the 5 card packs then they won't be worth buying.

8. ACERIMMERROCKS

ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2001
    SOunds like they trying to do wat score did with there dbz senzu blast packs 3 cards sell to little kids who dont have much money

9. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    Sorry, but cheap packs with no rares in it has "let's suck little kids in like we did with pokemon because they have no concern for gameplay but still want massive collections" written all over it.

10. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    Regards to the pricing structure, at the moment in Australia, prices of cards are roughly double to triple what you merkians pay for em, and at that price (14-20), you won't get many players buying it at that price

This is pure guesswork, but a guess that i can base off a lot of current prices in the ccg industry.

11. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    I think the price you quoted was for a starter, which down here is fairly much par for the course. Any booster that over over $6 australian is starting to get expensive though. $3 to 4Aus for 5 cards is a bit steep, especially without a rare.

12. Teknobabel

Jun 4, 2000
    Bloody Oath, when you can pay $3.50Aus for unlimited dagobah or hoth in 15 card packs.

The price is going to be one of the major factors in australia, kids won't collect it when the price is above magic boosters ;)

13. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Wouldn't the price be equivalent in that these seem to be the same cost or less in the US as other CCG's, so whatever the price in other countries, it would mirror the same "markup", therefore being the same price in that country?? What am I missing in this objection?

14. Teknobabel

Jun 4, 2000
    Wouldn't the price be equivalent in that these seem to be the same cost or less in the US as other CCG's, so whatever the price in other countries, it would mirror the same "markup", therefore being the same price in that country?? What am I missing in this objection?

our crappy exchange rate ;)

seriously, in australia, the markup on goods is almost always higher than in other countries. Mainly in imported goods but also in other goods, I work in retail so i can say that with some authority.

As for cards and tourney's, there a lot less stockists and / or sellers than you would think.

15. Ocelot_X

Ocelot_X Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2001
    But isn't $1 Australian something like 50 cents US? Or were you talking US dollars? Regardless, would you want to pay $4 and just get 5 commons and uncommons? Maybe there'll be a better frequency of rares than we think. I remember making the same complaints about the 17 random cards in Reflections before I bought that, something like "I don't wanna pay $5 just to get one foil and a bunch of commons!" As it turned out, it was unusual for a pack not to have at least one rare, maybe these 5-card packs will be the same way.

Though I doubt it.

16. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    The whole markup also involves tarrifs and/ or import duties, storing costs (I live in Western Australia, and all the cards go to eastern states first, and then come to us) GST (Godamned Stupid Tax) and then the retailer's rightful markup. I mean, it's crazy. I also agree with Tekno's statement regarding stockists/ retailers. There are only two places in my city of over a million people where I can get Star Wars CCG. To get there, I have to go into the city, pay for parking etc.

At least LotR went to my local K-Mart. I could get cards there easilt enough, but 50c more expensive than my card shop.

At least my usual retailer is a great guy.

17. Teknobabel

Jun 4, 2000
    BPJ has all the right answers to the questions there

Wotc may get a larger number of stockists, like getting EB to stock the cards, even though they sell the cards at a higher price, and let me tell you the local EB still has full boxes of magic from two years ago, wotc doesn't do refunds apparently and EB doesn't cut prices, lose lose situation there.

I buy my sw:ccg cards from between three places in the city of Sydney, and when you consider that there are three places within 2 blocks that stock sw:ccg (card shops that is, not an EB) and the next place closest to my house is about 60km away, there's something in that right there.

Exchange rate and tariffs are the main problems, as an example, when australia had to import all of it's games workshop figurines, before the current currency drop, we paid about 3 times the british price for figures, at a time when there was about a 2.2 : 1 ratio in pounds to dollars (as in, 1 british pound bought 2.2 aussie dollars, vice versa).

But time will tell, I hope the prices are equivalent or cheaper than the other ccg's out there, the price will be a major factor in determining market share in australia, along with who they want to run the tourney's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.