WotC Info Part II

Discussion in 'Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by MJK_WotC, Feb 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MJK_WotC WotC Product Manager, Star Wars TCG

VIP
    There were many good questions asked during the past week, and I hope I can address most of them here today:
    SWTCG: Attack of the Clones will release in April of this year. Star Wars Gamer #10 will release at the same time, and will feature an entire SWTCG encyclopedia ? cardlist, images, card text ? as well as gameplay tips & hints.
    Celebration II will be the setting for the debut SWTCG tournament, but it is not a prerelease.
    Still on the topic of dice, it was asked if a coin or some other random effect couldn?t do the same job. The answer is no, and here?s why ? dice rolls can be manipulated. If you flip a coin, there?s no room in the rules to say, ?If you get a heads this turn, make it a heads-and-a-half.? Each die you roll in combat will hit an opposing unit on a result of 4, 5, or 6. Conceivably, there could be rules effects/special cards that can manipulate that, so you could hit on a 3 through 6, or your opponent temporarily can only hit on a 5 or 6.
    Currently the only condition for victory is defeating your opponent in 2 of 3 arenas of battle. But there are many, many factors that can come into play to meet that condition.
    Expanded Universe & lateral content ? WotC has the rights to the entire Star Wars universe, including novels & comics. Eventually you can expect characters like Mara Jade, the Yuuzhan Vong, the Solo kids, Grand Admiral Thrawn, etc. to make an appearance on our cards. Also, the Star Wars Trading Card Game will feature photo-realistic imagery, even for expanded universe content.
    I am also glad to reveal to you guys a part of our actual TCG rulebook, shown here for the first time! Enjoy!

Card Types

The Star Wars trading card game has 5 card types.

Mission Cards
    Mission cards represent things that happen in the Star Wars universe. They have a yellow border. You build these during your build step just like you build a Ground, Space, or Character card. Once you have enough build counters on a Mission card, you can finish building it?flip it right-side up and do what it says. After you?ve done what it says, discard it.

Battle Cards
    Battle cards represent actions and tactics during battles. They have a red border. Some Battle cards help your units, and others hurt your opponent?s units. Battle cards don't have a build cost. Some have a Force cost instead. You can play them only during battle.

Unit Cards: Space, Ground, and Character
    There are 3 types of unit cards: Space units, Ground units, and Characters. To put a unit into battle, you must build it by putting build counters on it equal to its build cost, then finish building it.
    Unit cards can be unique.

Space units. These cards represent starships of all kinds. All Space units have a blue border. Space units fight in the space arena.

Ground units. These represent infantry and vehicles. All Ground units have a green border. Ground units fight in the ground arena.

Characters. These cards represent Star Wars characters. All Characters have a purple border. Characters fight in the character arena.

Thanks,

_M

Michael Kent
    Associate Brand Manager, Star Wars TCG
    Wizards of the Coast
  2. Artie-Deco Jedi Knight

star 3
    Eventually you can expect characters like Mara Jade

Will Mara be portrayed by Shannon Baksa?

3. Wraith_009 Jedi Knight

"Currently the only condition for victory is defeating your opponent in 2 of 3 arenas of battle"

Wait a minute that sounds familiar... wow you make a new game and you rip off a decipher SW game..and you picked the wrong one to rip off too, YJ CCG... come on that's terrible.

Sorry man the more you tell us the less I want to do with this game.

If you guys honestly think the Star Wars name is enough to sell something...take a look at Force Commander
  4. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    While I agree that so far it stills sounds like Young Jedi (particularly Young Jedi's "alternate rules" that utilized multiple simeltaneous locations), I do have some questions...

Will cards in one arena be able to affect cards in another? ie: Can a character card "move aboard" a starship to enhance it's properties?

How are locations handled? There are 4 theaters of combat, I will assume that there are different locations available for each theater, will there be multiple locations used at the same time in each theater? Or only one "site" per theater?

What is meant by "finish building" a card? I gather you accumlate a number of tokens for a deploy cost essentially to build something, is to "finish building" a card to place that card into play essentially?

How do infantry differ from characters exactly? (beyond their existing in different theaters, what is the destinction between them?)

This may turn out to be an adequate replacement for Young Jedi (particularly depending on the answer to the location question), but still seems a far cry from a decent replacement for The SW:CCG.
  5. Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus

star 4
    RE the statement:"SWTCG: Attack of the Clones will release in April of this year. Star Wars Gamer #10 will release at the same time, and will feature an entire SWTCG encyclopedia ? cardlist, images, card text ? as well as gameplay tips & hints."

1) I assume that this means the first/premiere set is called "SWTCG: Attack of the Clones" and that the game itself is *not* called "SWTCG: Attack of the Clones" (which would then have subsequent releases by different names such as "SWTCG: Attack of the Clones-The Force Within?") So basically I am clarifying that it is in fact called "SWTCG" and the first/premiere set is called "Attack of the Clones"?

2) Similarly, you said: "Star Wars Gamer #10 will release at the same time, and will feature an entire SWTCG encyclopedia ? cardlist, images, card text". Now obviously you guys don't have a list of all the expansions that will ever be released, but does this statement mean the list will comprise only the first set, or that it will have an entire list of all cards currently planned for release?

Sorry to be so literal, but when you give us bits and pieces like this, we are going to pick it apart enery which way to search for messages between the lines. :)
  6. Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Will there be weapons?
  7. Joseph_Orion Force Ghost

star 4
    the whole thing just sounds so wacky...what would a weapon card say?

"roll 3 more die" or "now rolls from 3-6 are hits instead of 4-6" just so wild, man
  8. 1stAD Jedi Youngling

star 5
    It'd be more along the lines of "add 1 to your attack rolls".
  9. BigPoppaJabba Jedi Master

star 4
    Why make a big deal about who nmade the game when so far it shows little or no originality. Please, I'm trying not to be biased, but I have seen statements thrown around like "a change for the better", when so far all I have seen is Young Jedi with dice.
  10. Joseph_Orion Force Ghost

star 4
    After reading that, I have to agree, Young Jedi with dice. I finally got a chance to play SWCCG this past weekend and All I have to say is...one of the best CCG's I've ever played. Granted it was my first game and the guy playing went totally easy on me and let me win, I understand the game now and objectives, different ways of winning, man It was great. Now i'm sad that there is no more SWCCG and there's this YJ w/ Dice. Honestly, the cards look like YJ. I thought they were cool the first time i saw the YJ cards but after a while, the colors and everything was just so ugly. The LOTR cards and SW cards looked great for collecting, etc. and they..they're just really nice. I wish the SW game mechanics were present *sigh* :( i finally see the light after playing SWCCG... Now I see the shoes that WotC has to fill... Good. luck.
  11. 1stAD Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Actually, I would call this game "D&D light", because the initiative (speed) values and rolling dice for hit percentage is much more like D&D than Young Jedi.

For one thing, Young Jedi centered around 1 vs. 1 unit combat, with players choosing the order of combat. Starships only come into play when "moving" units from one battle area to another. And multiple versions of a unit could engage in the same battle. There are two basic types of modifiers: power modifiers, and combined attack modifiers.

With the new game, combat follows along the lines of the d20 system. Combat order depends on units' speed, and you choose who to attack. Who do you attack? Do you choose to attack someone weak but higher up in the battle order, or ignore them and attack a strong character at the lower end of the battle? And health is a bigger factor in this game, because damage from battle carries over. Not much has been released about the TCG, but it appears that the modifiers will improve accuracy, improve speed, improve power, or improve health.

Young Jedi = Unit vs. Unit ground combat, with modifiers (power, combine attack).
    Star Wars TCG = Turn based combat across three venues, with modifiers (power, accuracy, speed, health).
  12. Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus

star 4
    1stAD
    That is a great analogy. I like that your thoughts have depth to them instead of a rash assumption it is YJCCG with dice. It shows you thought about it based on the info we do have.
    I think a lot of people will be surprised once the game is released exactly how much depth it has. I have no idea how much, I can only theorize like you based on what I know so far, but it has to have more depth than what many are assuming.
  13. BigPoppaJabba Jedi Master

star 4
    I guess I need to explain my comments more thoroughly. I meant that the game was my guy fights your guy until one player's cards are left, or have more power or whatever. I never assumed that it was "most power wins" like Young Jedi.
  14. 1stAD Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I think the "mission" cards will provide alternate means of winning an area of combat - in other words, massing characters of a certain type (whether it be based on a single combat statistic like speed, or the unit type itself) and completing the mission to win instead of fighting. This is a huge assumption of course, but that would be one way to win a game without combat.
  15. Artie-Deco Jedi Knight

star 3
    Personally, I'd rather play "Young Jedi with Dice" than "D&D lite".

I want to play a card game, where combat is determined by the cards you play. I'm not sure I want to play a card-and-dice game.

16. Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I agree the mission cards seem to present multiple ways to win a theatre/arena. Maybe there will be the equivalent of "blowing up the death star" (except it would be some epic event in Ep2 instead for the first release).
    The game could prove quite challenging if your running three different missions in three arenas at the same time. Or at least running two missions while defending the third arena. I just wish they would post the rules or something!
  17. Artie-Deco Jedi Knight

star 3
    You guys are wrong about Mission cards, I think. Didn't you see the Mission card pictured on the official site?

Jedi Council Summons

[image=http://www.starwars.com/collecting/feature/20020210/img/jc_bg.jpg]

This doesn't do anything more than a "Theme" card in Jedi Knights.

18. Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Well it could be the battle cards. I can't imagine it would just be shooting and power wars. I hope not anyway.
  19. Ocelot_X Jedi Knight

star 1
    I hope it isn't just shooting and power wars too, but so far we haven't seen anything different. The combat cards may provide something more, but I suspect they'll be more on the order of Young Jedi's Battle cards, analogous anyway. If they ever DO provide a way to win other than 2-out-of-3 fighting, I'm guessing it won't be in this first set. If any such thing does come out, it'll probably end up being like Young Jedi podracing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.