main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

WotC Info - Sith Rising

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by MJK_WotC, Jul 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MJK_WotC

MJK_WotC WotC Product Manager, Star Wars TCG VIP

Feb 1, 2002
    At last comes the long-awaited WotC Info installment about Sith Rising, the Star Wars TCG expansion set to release on July 29th. Many of you have already taken a peek at some cards we had at the Wizard World convention in Chicago this past week. Just to put to rest some speculation, I can confirm that the cards you saw there were final, printed Sith Rising cards. Our cardset began rolling off the presses just before that convention, and we decided that we wanted to show you a little peek at what?s to come later this month.
    In short, Sith Rising intensifies the gameplay experience of the Star Wars TCG, picking up where Attack of the Clones left off and giving the player more complex decisions to make during deckbuilding and play. You?ve probably already read about the two new game mechanics that are featured in the new cardset ? Stun and Overload. As stated in Inquest:

?Stun is one of the new mechanics introduced in the set. When a unit with a stun value - either 2 or 3 - damages a unit, that unit has its power lowered by the stun value this turn. The stun ability matched with high-speed units like the new, 6 cost, 60 speed Obi-Wan is deadly. Almost as deadly is the second new ability, overload. This allows units to gain power by taking damage.

Need a cheap 6 power space unit? Look no further than Droid Starfighter DFS-1VR. It costs two build points and can attack at speed 50 with six dice. It takes a usually lethal point of damage after attacking....?

These new abilities are sure to help you mix it up and knock some heads ? or just chop them off if that?s your thing. But there?s many other, more subtle additions to the game that reveal themselves in Sith Rising. Ever dream about rolling over your opponent in the Ground arena ? if only you had a ground unit that could Evade damage?... Ever wish you could get a shot in on that AT-TE Walker 71E or Republic Cruiser and not have to worry about their Shields?... How about dealing damage on a level that only a Jedi Master could be powerful enough to avoid?
    Sith Rising effectively turns up the heat on the epic battle of good versus evil. The Sith are now able to complete their revenge on the Jedi, and you are placed in the unique position of being able to throw Sidious, Tyranus, *and* Maul at the Old Republic. And don?t forget about Jango, he?s still around and better than ever, but he?ll also get a good long look at his head-chopping nemesis Mace Windu as they can finally square off against each other.
    Just in case you were wondering, there?s no changes to the rarity scheme in the 5-card or 11-card booster packs, and if you?re new to the game you can still buy an Attack of the Clones 2-Player Starter to get under way. Have fun pitting the big heavies of the early era Star Wars galaxy against each other, and rewriting the history of the Old Republic in the process. And remember, A New Hope is on its way in November?.

Thanks!

_M

Michael J Kent
    Product Manager, Star Wars TCG
    Wizards of the Coast

2. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Awesome new info MJK! This is going to be a great addition to the game. Thanks for the heads up.

July 29 is 21 days away. How soon will a spoiler card list be revealed?

Can't wait! I finally just completed my AOTC set.

3. russelguppy

russelguppy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2002
    Can't wait to get hold of the new cards, if I can find any, I live in the UK and despite extensive magazine advertising, stating that many big name high street stores stock the AOTC expansion, none of them in my local area actually do, stating poor customer interest. I guess I'll just be buying off ebay instead, oh well 19 days to go!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.