main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

WotC Star Wars: Your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Jedi Merkurian , Apr 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E_Greyshadow

E_Greyshadow Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    Idunno. I kinda like the way it's more involved than the WEG version. Then again, I also play Rifts and Call of Cthulhu, so that tells you my likes for in-depth rules.

2. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    I remember using a Force point to make a shot from a sniper of mine almost impossible to parry for the Dark Jedi I tried to shoot. I rolled 18 dice and ended with a net 16 result... (yes, I rolled 18 dice and all came up with a '1' result ! I couldn't believe it !)

Thanks to the WotC system I won't have to fear rolling such a catastrophic result again. (I'll roll a '1' instead and find myself in the exact similar situation...)

Well I wondered whether this new system was not as flexible as the WEG system, finally I came to like it most as a GM, now I no longer see characters able to dispatch 8 troopers in a single round 'cause they have 12 dice and a damn well customised blaster rifle. I'm getting used to it now, both as a player and as a GM.

The only changes we finally kept in the groups I'm playing with is we have partly rewritten the rules for Force Powers, reintroducing Sense, Control and Alter skills (1 point costs 5 Skill Points to buy so if you decide to focus on one aspect of the Force you REALLY focus on it), and re-introducing a large number of powers inspired from those from WEG, those from the EU books and those we had designed for the WEG game (plus a few more recent adds). Finally our Force User classes end up with 2 additionnal Skill Points per level, and due to the huge number of powers available they really need it (we also came up with the idea one could buy feats for a 7 point cost - the number of Force feats having drastically increased).

3. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    ERRATA: I have to retract my earlier statement about the Fringer class. It purposefully written that they don't necessarily start out with formal repair training like other classes do. Instead they get the bonus to Repair checks when jury-rigging. However, they have the capacity to take Repair as one of their class skills with their Adaptive Learning class ability.

You're right that it's odd that Scoundrels don't have Sense Motive.

Other oddities:

*Jedi don't have Pilot as a class skill, but there are some astounding Jedi Pilots (Vader & Luke especially, Jaina Solo to a lesser degree)

*Jacen Solo is listed as a Jedi Guardian, when in EU he's a Consular if ever there was one

*Vader, the most whoop-arse character in the galaxy, has no ranks in Battlemind

*Luke, who spent 20+ years scouring the galaxy for info about the Old Republic Jedi, has no ranks in Knowledge(Jedi Lore)

I've also noted an oddity with the feat path of Jedi characters that I'm checking out with WotC directly.

On a positive note, here's a bit of power-gaming for you: On the way to becoming a Starfighter Ace, take up a few levels as a Noble. Use the Inspire & Command abilities to give your wingmen a bonus. The Inspire ability allows you to inspire a bonus for 10 minutes per round that you're able to speak inspirationally. In other words, if you take 1 round to give a pep-talk at the beginning of a vape-brawl, your wingmen have a bonus to all their to-hit rolls & skill checks for ONE HUNDRED rounds. The Command ability is a little harder to pull off because it's a Charisma check instead of a Diplomacy check.

4. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    Yeah that is strange. Another thing is that Yoda Maxed out level-wise in EPI. It should be interesting to see them fix that.

5. El Kabong

El Kabong Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 28, 1999
    <<<Actually, the space combat is simpler in WotC than in WEGgie. Of course, some folks don't like that. In WEGgie you had to use "bucket o' dice" to figure out if you hit, then did it again to determine how much, if any, damage you did. In WotC, that's all done in one or two d20 rolls.>>>

Yeah, but the space combat in WEG actually WORKED.

6. E_Greyshadow

E_Greyshadow Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    Have you guys checked out the starship combat in the Gamer #3? Looks promising! If only we had stats for all the ships for that system...

7. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    I was just about to post that, but it's... Silent Death. DEATH. Doesn't give players much of a chance, does it? They said as much in the article.

8. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    "Another thing is that Yoda Maxed out level-wise in EPI. It should be interesting to see them fix that."

Well, there's not much to indicate that Master Yoda has "adventured" much since EpI, or even before...

The oddity I noticed about the feat path of Jedi is that you have to "hold" feats for later levels in order to take advantage of the Knight & Master bonus feats, and also the requirements are kinda squirrely. I stumbled across it when I tried creating a Jedi Guardian working from 1st to 20th level; in other words, making a 1st lvl character & mapping out feats, stats, VP, & skill points all the way out to 20th level. I confirmed it again, when I mapped Obi-Wan from 1st level to 15th level (how he appears in ANH)

At 6th lvl, his feats are Alter, Burst of Speed, Control, Deflect Blasters, Exotic Weapon (lightsaber), Quick Draw, Sense, Weapon Finesse (lightsaber) & Weapon Prof (simple & blaster pistols)

At 15th lvl, he also has Iron Will, Knight Defense, Lightsaber Defense, Low Profile, & Master Defense

Here goes: Obi-Wan starts out as a 1st lvl JG. That entitles him to 2 feats (1 for ist lvl, 1 for Human) plus Control, & Weapon Prof (simple & blaster pistols) as bonus feats. We'll say he takes Quick Draw as his starting feat, and in order to match up to later stats, he has to hold his bonus feat. Why? Because of prerequisites.

At 2nd lvl, he gains Exotic Weapon (lightsaber) and can now use his bonus feat from 1st lvl on Weapon Finesse. He couldn't take the feat before now, because you can't take finesse in a weapon you're not proficient with.

At 3rd lvl, he gains Sense as a bonus feat, and gains a new feat for being 3rd level. The logical next step for a Padawan learning to use his lightsaber would be to learn Deflect Blaster, but he can't because you have to be 4th lvl in order to learn it. He takes Burst of Speed instead, the only feat that he qualifies for. Alternately, he could hold this feat until 4th level. He also gains Alter as a bonus feat at 4th level.

At 6th lvl, he gains a bonus feat. He FINALLY learns how to Deflect Blasters, or takes Burst of Speed if he held his 3rd level feat until 4th level.

After being victorious against a Sith Lord, Obi-Wan is granted the rank of Jedi Knight and begins training young Anakin. He also gains a bonus Knight feat. Unfortunately, he doesn't meet the prerequisites for ANY of them.

At 9th lvl, he gains another feat. He takes Lightsaber Defense, and finally qualifies for Knight Defense, the Knight feat he's been sitting on for two levels.

At 12th level, he takes Iron Will as a feat, and Master Defense as his bonus Master feat at 13th level.

At 15th level, he takes Low Profile and becomes a hermit in the wastes of Tatooine, not adventuring for another 20 years.

My solution to this glitch?

A) Give Jedi a "menu" of bonus feats like the Soldier. I'd also add Weapon Finesse, Burst of Speed, Deflect Blasters, and the Knight & Master prerequisites to that menu. I'd also...

B) Eliminate the level requirement for Deflect Blasters, retaining the +3 base attack requirement.

Or

C) Give Jedi a bonus feat at 4th level, combined with solution A.

Your thoughts?

9. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Here's the response from Wizards:
    ---------------------------------------------
    The solution isn't in the core mechanics. A couple of the core book characters were built without going on a level by level basis and occasionally mistakes were made. There is no specific plans to errata them
    at this time, but different versions of them may appear in future products. If you want a hard core consistance in your home campaign, you can, of course, change them to suit your needs (and the rules).
    ---------------------------------------------

That having been said, I'm inclined to go with solution C. The Jedi gain bonus feats at 4th, 7th, & 13th level. The "menu" to choose from would be: Burst of Speed, Deflect Blasters, Force Mastery, High Force Mastery, Knight Defense, Knight Mind, Knight Speed, Lightsaber Defense, Master Defense, Master Mind, Master Speed, Skill Focus (Force skills only) Weapon Finesse (lightsaber) and Weapon Focus (lightsaber). The character must meet all prerequisites for any feat he/she wishes to take.

I've decided to keep Deflect Blasters as it is, because it's a hellacious feat. I confirmed with WotC that a Jedi can deflect ANY NUMBER of incoming shots, so long as they make the Reflex save for each; even if two or more characters are flanking the Jedi and they hold their actions to fire simultaneously!

Your thoughts?

10. The_Revel

The_Revel Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2001
    Id have to agree with Shaedo here I liked the WEG cuz it was simplier plus took less time to create a PC, However I do like the new system as well. SO I guess i could go with either or....

11. Krypticos

Krypticos Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2001
    personally, i enjoy the d20 system a lot. i never played D&D, nor the WEG star wars game so i don't have anything to compare.

but thanks to ebay, i was able to purchase the 2nd edition WEG rulebook along with some sourcebooks.

did you know the interior of the falcon that they provide isn't right? :)

anyway, i may attempt a D6 game sometime... we'll see.

12. Shedao15

Shedao15 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2001
    D6 is much more fun and faster than d20, it's quicker as well. I play D&D a lot and it's like playing the new star wars. I still have my old WEG books and I figure you could conyinue using them you don't neccisarly have to move on with the rest of the users.

13. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    When I run a SW session I ask my players what system they'd like to employ. I'm running both WEG and WotC games, my WEG games are still fast-paced and the game mechanics allow it to be much more action-oriented, where those who prefer roleplay to roll-play generally chose the WotC system.

14. Vader-Jack01

Vader-Jack01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2001
    smuch as I like StarWars I think its a whole lot better the ol' West End version. Its a cheap rip off of DND in every way. The sad thing is the same company made it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.