main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWRPF Archive WOTG II: Clash of the Titans (A RPF Role Play)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by CmdrMitthrawnuruodo, Jan 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron_Fel

Baron_Fel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    OOC:Wait till Wednesday! Wait I have a life.Oh well the peace treaty is back,I better go and ready Yuuzhan Vong defenses.

2. CaptKieranFlar

CaptKieranFlar Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2001
    Baron, the ENTIRE RPG is on pause.

GAJ: Please turn on IM.

3. Baron_Fel

Jul 28, 2001
    It was a figure of speach.

4. nithrak_tewl

nithrak_tewl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    OOC:

Rantings

This is just plain stupid. Everyone sits around and whines about what isn't fair and what the rules are or aren't.

I realize you're the "supreme commander" jello, but maybe PoT INTENDED to act on his own? I don't know, I'm just speculating. I think it's dumb to nullify everything that happened at Eriadu, so here's what I propose:

1) Yarlik is alive. If FID still doesn't want to take part in the RP then we'll leave him dead, but it seems his decision was based on frustration and not because he had no alternatives.

2) PoT (and others) tone down the ship counts. This should go for everyone. In fact, I think we need to come up with something much more concrete than a ship cap. What if each character (in a position to command a fleet) has only so many ships? It's a thought, but whatever. For Eriadu, at any rate, it makes things more fair.

Now, I know what you are all going to say...[whine]"We should be able to strike with a big force and you wouldn't attack in real life without bringing all the resources you could and blah blah blah"[/whine]

Guess what? This isn't real life! Though I can appreciate the tactic, and I agree with it's effectiveness, is it necessary?

I think the rebels will agree with this now that they've experienced it firsthand, but it's been somethign i've tried to say all along. When you drop out of hyperspace with 3000 SSDs, when you KNOW that the defense force is a slingshot and a couple of forks, the player on the short end of the stick has no chance in hell, and guess what? It's not fun.

I know it's not fun when you're faced with the brand spanking new JSD with more firepower than the deathstar, etc, etc, etc, but how is it fun to be the guy commanding the gargantuan fleet of mythic proportions? I mean, there is no contest, which means there is no interaction, WHICH MEANS THERE IS NO ROLE PLAY!

People aren't intersted in tactics (i'm being general, there ARE exceptions), people are making up for what they lack in intelligent, thoughtful posting by making up superships, superweapons, and outrageous numbers!

I know the empire has resources beyond imagination, and i know they have 25,000 ISD's or whatever, with thousands in reserve alone, but come on, the point of this role play should be to create dynamic characters, groups, and environments in the very vague template provided by the GFFA.

So far all i see is a lot of "my fleet's bigger than yours". Plain and simple, it's not fun, and I'm not here to work at this, I have plenty of other stuff to be doing. I want to have fun. PoT's schemes are FUN, Mitth was FUN, EYY is FUN, dare I say Budaki's thing is FUN, Flar's pirating expiditions are FUN.

I've got a bigger gun than you is not fun, it's frustrating because there is no room to write anything other than a retreat.

Just an example, and try to see things from all the viewpoints in this situation.

Rebs vs. Imps, version 1

Rebs have
    1 MC-80
    2 squads X-Wings
    1 Neb B frigate

Imps have
    1 ISD II
    4 squads TIE's
    2 Carracks

there is room to maneuver on both sides, plus a certain element of risk. The outcome will come down to who is the better commander, and who uses their resources the best.

Rebs vs. Imps, version 2

Rebs have
    1 MC-80
    2 squads X-Wings
    1 Neb B frigate

Imps have
    1 SSD
    10 ISDII's
    15 VSD's
    4 Dreads
    9 Carracks

This scenario should take two posts:

Post 1, Imps arrive and attack

Post 2, Rebels hyper out

Now, was that fun for either party involved? No, not really. And what did the Imps gain? Maybe a planet? And if they gained anything in the stupid imaginary world of the RP, it means jack, and the imps can say "wow, we're awesome cause we have big guns" and the rebs cry foul.

(I don't mean to pick on the imps, it's just an example)

Excercise some common sense, and maybe leave yourself the opportunity to *gasp* lose once in a while.

This RP should be about strategy, character interaction, and depth, not who can make up the biggest numbers.

5. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    ((Rebs vs. Imps, version 2

Rebs have
    1 MC-80
    2 squads X-Wings
    1 Neb B frigate

Imps have
    1 SSD
    10 ISDII's
    15 VSD's
    4 Dreads
    9 Carracks

This scenario should take two posts:

Post 1, Imps arrive and attack

Post 2, Rebels hyper out

Yes, excellent idea, Knitty. How ironic you're kind of defending us...thanks anyway. Anywho, there would actually be a battle; we have the interdiction field up. They're stuck. Well, I won't take part in this if I'm even still alive.))

6. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Nithrak: PoT, IC, did not act on his own. He used my character in his posts.

8. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    OOC - WTF!

I'll put this in point form so the simpletons can follow my fury.
    1) Ship Cap - those numbers were ACCURATE representations of the numbers created by Mitth, the SENIOR GM in the GE thread. Fluke had his fleet, Zaarin a PORTION of his, and I had the Kyana Fleet that was at Byss (no one thought it to large for defense duty) before I brought it to Eriadu for the purpose of erecting a large interdiction field MANY POSTS AGO.

2) Yes, I planned this long ago, I set it up painstakingly, and it worked. I had all major Alliance leaders trapped on a station, had evacuated all our major leaders without the Alliance noticing anything untoward (even Nithrak thought I seriously intended returning in 'the morning') and then had my other co-conspirators gather at Site X.
    and it worked! A perfectly planned attack, using pre-determined ship numbers! Wow!

3) Treaty break - GAJ, OOC you are the leader yes, but IC I am sure everyone does not grovel at your feet. My character saw fit to make this decision for the good of the Empire, without your consultation because a) Director of Intel would be arrogant enough to do such a thing, and b)If we took the time to work with you - no offense - but you would of wanted command and credit for the operation, which I thought Jace deserved for his part.

4) If you Dare to nullify my posts on some egotistical little point of pride, or side with FID becuase he cracks the preverbial hissy fit for being outsmarted again, then so be it. I will finally agree with the whinging rebels, and state that this RP has become something I never wished it to be, a bore.

In such an event, I will see no other choice but to resign my commission as SiC and Chief Marshall of starfighter, Recruitment and Propaganda officer, Director of Intelligence, and TiC of the Empire.

Good bye.

9. nithrak_tewl

nithrak_tewl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Ship Count Proposition

This seems so simple I can't believe no one thought of it. Mitth and I talked about it and we both like it. It's of course open for discussion, but read it first and think about it for a second.

Fleet Battle Rules:

Only capital ships, not fighters, are counted.

1) Defense forces can be of any realistic size and composition that would be appropriate for their location. For example, a space station would not be guarded by 10 wings of fighters, and a backwater world would not have 30 MC-80s on station.

2) Offensive forces are not restricted in composition, but size is limited to a maximum of 5 Capital ships greater than the defensive force. This number can be changed, or we can make it a percentage so it is more scalable.

Simple, easy, painless.

I know what some of you will say, that you have the ability to exert more resources, and technically you are correct, but in the interest of FAIRNESS i think this could work. It's also somewhat realistic, because even though the Empire technically has the most ships, they also have the most territory to defend.

thoughts?

10. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    EDIT: On second thought. I'm through with this game, I'm gonna move on to more interesting RPs, such as that Hunting Sith game im in. Ta Ta whiners, losers, god moders, and idiots! (Except Nithrak and Flar, the only TWO people I respect highly here!!!!!!)

I am tired of the arguements.
    I am tired of the god moders.
    I am tired of the lack of imagination by a good majority of the players here.
    I am sick of the space battles.
    I am sick of the whiners when their great schemes back fire.
    I am sick of the RP.

*is glad he is dead*

11. CaptKieranFlar

Dec 14, 2001
    FINAL QUESTION:

Ok. Time to decide it once and for all. Should this RPG stay? Or be disbanned? Would every player please post their opinion on the matter?

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Everyone needs to cool down. If I got a heart attack everytime one of my plots was foiled due to a little twist of fate, then I'd have quit long ago.

I've been through this RP from before the beginning. When the Imperial Navy and Rebel Alliance were just fan threads. I was there when Mitth and Nithrak started RPing against each other.

It was a grand thing. It was wonderful... what happened to it?

It has degenerated into a petty conflict. Our faction leaders were strong before, and we settled conflicts.

Now people are having attacks of real life, and they are getting angry. Anger should not reflect into bad RPing.

I suggest we all take a break from the RP... let it cool down.

We should come back in a week, or a month. Some time gap in which we can free up our lives, and get some perspective on the whole situation.

Then we can fix the RP.

One thing is for sure, I will not let this work of art die.

May the Force be with you.

13. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    I write this after nigh on an hour this morning and many hours last night, of petty arguements and whinging on MSN and AIM with FID and many others.

1) I am hereby nullifying my own posts and those of Zaarin, Jace and Fluke who only posted under my command, in regard to the battle at Eriadu.
    2) I am doing this not becuase I see the attack as wrong, but I see it has annoyed far too many people.
    3) I love this RP more then most things and I, like many of you, most of you, have seen to much effort poured into this RP for it all to go to waste.
    4) I support GAJ's idea for a cool off. we work out the nullifying of parts of the time line, and begin a new thread soon. We also take the time to work out the major problems of this RP.

I hope all the others realise the worth of this thread, and don't follow the path Mitth and possibly I will take.

Have a good break, and god bless the RP.
    It's been real.

(A follow up post from Flar or FID or both will include a list of problems to ponder. By the time we come back, hopefully they will be fixed.)

14. Jace_Halycron

Jace_Halycron Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2001
    I say we start over. From the beginning.

You guys an explanation of that attack?

Well, I actually decided it on my own. PoT says he had a plan, but I decided to start it.
    The trial was pissing me off, the Rebels were pissing me off, I wanted action, etc.

FID: I actually didn't want you, I just wanted to cripple the Rebellion. its called
    "plot".

I say anyone who can should get on AIM, and chat this out.

15. CaptKieranFlar

Dec 14, 2001
    I have been on for hours listening to these complaints already. GAJ and I will both be on to help decide what is to be done at about 9:30 PM EST time. go figure out what that is for you.

16. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    OOC: It was bound to happen anyways. Our child grew too big for its clothes and exploded. Mitth, I understand this, and I accept resonsibility for what has happened. But this was seriously building up since the first accusation of godmodding. I accept full responsibility, and ask you to please use cool-heads whenever we have a discussion. I've noticed in EVERY meeting we've had in a chat someone is always complaining. This is because we've all got egos. Especially the ones in power in the RP. I'll admit, on here, I have an ego, and I HATE losing, no one likes to lose, if you do, you're pretty sad. I think we forgot that this is all in fun, instead we saw everything as a personal attack. I know I did. Several times in fact. It's kinda hard not to in some cases. We all have our favorite targets, but instead of taking it in stride we all take it offensively. We shouldn't, it's not real, it a damn game for cripes sake! I'll accept it if none of you wish to return, but please listen, we're working out our problems, and should atleast have them mostly fixed sometime. I'm supporting GAJ's vacation proposal until we work this out. And I applaud all of you who have stuck through it with all this whining. My solution to everyone here is if you have an ego, leave it in real life, do not take it to a place where you're trying to escape from the pressures of normal life. We're all friends here, some of us have seemed to have forgotten that as well. So in closing, PoT and myself are accepting the blame for this, instead of pointing fingers, we hope to work out everything jointly. A lesson which we should all follow from now on.

'ehh...lemme know if anyone's offended by this. :p

17. Yun-Yuuzhan

Yun-Yuuzhan Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    Announcement

Faron Anor: anything change?
    mitthrawn18: *shrugs*
    Faron Anor: well, something will come of this
    Faron Anor: be it good or bad
    Faron Anor: I just hope the Gauntlet will hurry up
    Faron Anor: WotG III - EgoMania Continues
    mitthrawn18: lol
    Faron Anor: well, looks like it's going the way of the Plague and polio
    Faron Anor: there any chance you might return if we get everything fixed?
    mitthrawn18: a slim chance
    mitthrawn18: brb
    Faron Anor: ok
    mitthrawn18: b
    Faron Anor: funny how my ideas and pleas are taken heed once things get bad
    mitthrawn18: neway, jace wants me to appoint a new senior gm...
    Faron Anor: it's your pick if you want
    mitthrawn18: i dont want to do it, dont want to give someone else the hell of keeping order
    mitthrawn18: brb
    Faron Anor: they can always deny
    Faron Anor: go ahead and offer it to someone
    mitthrawn18: *offers it to you*
    Faron Anor: am I the first choice?
    mitthrawn18: yes
    Faron Anor: then....
    Faron Anor: I accept
    mitthrawn18: alright

We're under new management! :D

18. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Congrats, let's pray you have some hair left after this is fixed. :p

19. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Especially the ones in power in the RP. I'll admit, on here, I have an ego, and I HATE losing, no one likes to lose, if you do, you're pretty sad.

I guess I am sad. Maybe its because I don't care if I win or lose, that the entertainment and fun meter is far more important to me than victory.

20. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Hmm...not an accusation Mitth, Im just giving a perspective.

21. Baron_Fel

Jul 28, 2001
    I think I was whining too much about the Imps not godmodding.But after I read your posts,I knew the reason I supported the Imps was because I wanted the treaty broken so I could win more battles and get more glory.But that was wrong of me,and I think I am one of those people whining that the people above don't like.I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm sorry for whining and posting like a jackass.

22. Protege-of-Thrawn

Mar 14, 2001
    Alright Yun, I think your a great choice, but please see what we have propsed below, and consider it as an alternative. FID and I put a lot of effort into this.

We knew it couldn't last people.

Alright this is serious. Mitth has gone and FID and I are partially to blame, but the true problem lies in the nature of the RP.

We need to shape up. Ego and Pride can go only so far. These are our two major weak points.

Weak Points
    1)Ego - This is a personal and subjective thing, but I urge you all to follow the gospel of Zaarin. Do it for the good of the RP, not the glory of the character. This one is up to YOU guys, and US guys, to fix.
    2) Ship counts - FID and I are working through the specifics of this idea, but basically we actually catalogue and designate how many ships each organisation has, they must then break that into fleets how they wish, break into stronger or larger ships etc, and account for EACH AND EVERY SHIP USED. (more to follow on this point)
    3) GM BATTLES - Too many GMs, in short. FID and I agree that the best idea is to have a triumvurate of 3 GMs, which are voted on periodically, and all major conflicts are settled by a 2 : 1 vote. I put foward the 3 of Elegos, Flar, and Nithrak. I think due to the circumstance FID, GAJ and I should not be a part of such a set up.
    4) Technology - Must go through the GM's for approval before use. Simple but neccessary.
    5) All Characters must a) have a profile, and b) RP to that Profile. eg. if your weakness is women, and a female character hits on you, you can't suddenly 'resist' etc.
    6) All factions must have a profile. - Rules to go buy, - a statement of idealogy, - how that faction acts, - its territory and aligned planets, - credit sources/amounts - ship counts as outlined above, fleet breakdowns, - command structure and roster - type of ships and technology etc. FID insists this is a major fault, and I agree.
    7) ANY IDEAS FOR CHANGES, MODIFICATIONS OR NEW IDEAS CONCERNING WHAT IS LISTED ABOVE OR THE RP IN GENERAL, PLEASE PM FID OR I.

FID and I are attempting to - along with GAJ and Flar - keep this RP alive.

We have all put far too much effort into it for it to go to waste.

We hereby institute these following emergency actions.

1) RP is paused for 2 weeks.
    2) Current COTT thread is only left open for discussing problems and solutions to the RP style. NO MORE RPing.
    3) A new GM structure, Rule book, and special clauses concerning Ship numbers and 'rules of warfare' will be added, and opened in a new thread - chapter 3 - in 2 weeks time.

I urge you all to stay with us. Remain with the RP. We have all spent far too much effort and time for it to be wasted.

Pledge your support or opinions in your group threads, they will stay open.

If FID and I can go from arch-nemesis to dedicated partners in this effort, anyone can resolve their differences.

New command structures will be worked out after all the resignations etc. have been recieved.

Hold Firm guys, and stick with us.

Yun, Please consider the above.

Kudos to those with the guts to stay,
    Protégé of Thrawn.

23. Baron_Fel

Jul 28, 2001
    So,is the trial canceled ?

24. CaptKieranFlar

Dec 14, 2001
    *chuckles* Faron Amor is apparently in charge of the RPG. So I will just be stepping out here.

Have fun with reconstruction. Go free all the slaves, reunite the South, and restore the Union :)

Under Faron's leadership, I give you guys a week. maybe two ;-)

25. Blue_10

Blue_10 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2001
    I don't think we should start over entirly. I even like POT's idea of trying to kill of all of the Alliance's leaders. I would actually like to see a blow to my side for all to see. Why? you ask. Because it makes this a challenge. I joined this game A) for fun and B) for the thrill of a challenge. I agree that a break may be needed, a few events may require editing, and we may need either an equal number of GM's for both sides or a new set of unbiased MODS but don't start over and don't kill an interesting twist to the game.Oh and concerning ship count: I think we can have as many ships as we wnat, just don't go overkill if you know what I mean. I think that we can continue where we left off after some kinks are worked out. At least that is what I believe. Thank you for your time. I trust you will do what is best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.