main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWRPF Archive WOTG II: Clash of the Titans (A RPF Role Play)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by CmdrMitthrawnuruodo, Jan 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Guys, before all this chaos started, I was working on chapter 3's opening post.

Once we get started, I'd still like to start the opening post to the new thread. I'll of course cut back on the information and mostly post the revised rules again and some resource links. Including links back to WOTG and WOTG II. Anyway, here's what I had and would have posted.

Title is a spoof from LOTR chapter "The Breaking of the Fellowship"

WOTG III: The Breaking of the Alliance

A serious blow has been given to the Galactic
    Alliance by the Yuuzhan Vong and its allies
    after months of defeat after defeat by the
    Galactic Empire and Galactic Republic.

Director Kane Lavos foolishly persued with his
    Genesis Project in hopes of creating the perfect
    warrior to fight and counter the Yuuzhan Vong
    in ground battles. But in doing so he has created
    a monster that has now escaped. Emperor Yun Yammka,
    Yuuzhan Vong God of War incarnete, roams the galaxy
    on a killing spree for Jedi blood while uniting the
    Yuuzhan Vong under his rule.

Meanwhile Warmaster Nithrak Tewl succeeded in
    capturing the Second in Command of the Galactic
    Empire, implanting him with a mind control worm and
    unleashing him after the newly declared Emperor
    Jello. But Nithrak's plans were foiled by High
    Inquisitor Jace Halycron by defeating the unstable
    High General Mitth and releasing him of his master's
    control.

Although the attempt on Jello's life was foiled,
    elsewhere President Yarlick of the Galactic Republic
    attacked the ISD Tiger and tortured General Zaarin.
    Immediately the Empire responded and demanded for
    Yarlick's arrest and persecution by court of law.

While the leaders of the Galactic Alliance attend to
    this trial, the late Lord Budaki unleashes a computer
    virus into the HoloNet from Coruscant, destroying
    anything eletronically connected to communications,
    including all systems in the Imperial Palace.

But the most recent blow has been given by Warleader
    Yun Yuuzhan, prisoner of war now escapee, has
    successfully assassinated High General Mitth, leaving
    Imperial Center devoid of leadership and order.

The Galactic Alliance is beginning to crumble apart,
    the HoloNet has been disconnected, the Empire is in
    chaos, and the Yuuzhan Vong intend to take advantage
    of the blows dealt to the Imperials and the Galaxy...

2. Veng_Commando

Veng_Commando Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    Good work Mitth, really makes the Vong seem powerful. They are, though, right? By we, we mean the CSA. Oh, yes, Mitth, when you say CSA, put us under Rebel affiliatoin[sp].

and what about my suggestions?

3. Baron_Fel

Baron_Fel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    That's a great opening crawl Mitth.It actually makes the Yuuzhan Vong sound stronger.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
  5. nithrak_tewl

nithrak_tewl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Yes, your destruction is nigh infidels. Good post Mitth

6. Warlord_Ken

Warlord_Ken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2000
    Mitth what is your new place in the RP? Are you just gonna haunt Yun forever?

Anyways, great intro.

I think the most important part of this RP is BEING REALISTIC. For example, GAJ's assault with 12,000 ISD's is perfectly acceptable because he has that many ISD's. Sure, it sucks, but it's still feasible. Same thing with my assault on Bimmiel. I had such numbers b/c I was concentrating the entire offensive force of the Alliance army. Yet my "grand army" was still tiny compared to, say, Hitler's.

That's why I don't think there should be anything like ship caps. Rather, the size of armies, navies, etc. should be limited by the judgements of other players.

It's also important to look at the situtation at hand. Lots of times, in both our real history and in this RP, one side outnumbers the other. Outnumbering your opponent doesn't necessarily mean that there's no strategy involved, in fact often times, as history has shown us, outnumbering your enemy means that you have used strategy. And that's also exactly what happened in this RP. Having more or less numbers than the other side is what happens in war, and no one should blame another for boasting such numbers when the numbers are legitimate, reasonable, and, most importantly, realistic.

7. Blue_10

Blue_10 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2001
    Good job every one. I prefer option 3.

Nice intro Mitth.

8. Blue_10

Blue_10 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2001
    Also, I think star fighter division should stay obviously.

9. Baron_Fel

Baron_Fel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    Why ? What does the Starfighter division do ? It's always the Navy division that posts for them.

10. CaptKieranFlar

CaptKieranFlar Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2001
    I highly agree with the idea of keeping a tally of how many ships each side has, and having to have them divided up accordingly.

With such a big group as the Empire, it might be hard to keep track of, but it will make it more realistic.

All sides will need to divide up their fleets to defend what they have, therefore it will be more realistic. You could make a giant fleet of ships, but you would be sacraficing the defenses of planets you pull ships from.

Obviously since we do not have nearly all the planets/sectors listed we will have to cut down on ships. With 12,000 ISDs the Empire could give over a hundred ISDs to each planet in our RPG :p Therefore we will have to discuss and work out beginning fleets for everyone.

Another advatange to this is that convoys will have to be safeguarded, and attacks by starfighter squadrons will become a real possibility.

EDIT: If you would notice, I have already been doing this with my small faction. I keep an EXACT tally of the ships I own.

11. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Sometimes you have to set aside being realistic for the good of the RP.

As for my position in the RP, I'll be returning to the living as soon as the RP starts again.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, the Empire must have its massive forces and its massive attacks. The has always, and will always, fight that way. Anything is is NOT realistic, and NOT Star Wars.

However, the amount of ships the Empire has might seem to be alot, but remember that it consists of millions of systems. That's alot of space to deal with.

Everyone is concerned with the Empire pulling in a massive strike. While we won't use thousands of them for one battle, we may use massive reprisal strikes. The Empire functions that way.

The Rebels always managed to sneak out under the hammer, and the Vong have ways to take advantage of defenseless worlds.

Note that we can provide numbers for roving forces, such as those assigned to our Starfleet commanders, but we cannot list every single ship. The ships not listed are parts of normal Sector Fleets, and will most likely not be used offensively.

13. Rokangus

Rokangus Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 18, 2000
    Yeah, as Mitth just said, sometimes being realistic just doesn't work.

We need a shipcap or something like that. Otherwise, the strategy of outnumbering one's enemy becomes the only strategy you ever see. And what you get is this enormous inflation of fleets to ridiculus proportions, and the winner simply becomes the person who can come up with the highest number, not the best tactician.

There needs to be some sort of checks and balances in battles. Take the game of Risk; when attacking you roll with three die, whereas the defender has only two. However a tie goes to the defender. now obviously using die is inappropriate for something like this, but the general idea is still god.

I kind of liked the idea of having a set number of ships, but being able to create new ones at a set rate. I'm not sure what i think about having GM's set up the fleet numbers at a particular battle, but I'm sure something reasonable will be worked out.

Oh and great intro, Mitth. Can't wait for the new thread to begin. :D

14. CaptKieranFlar

Dec 14, 2001
    That will make the entire point of listing ships void if you can just say that you pulled miricle ships from the defenses of whatever planets.

And as you said, the Empire was millions of systems. Yours is around 200 or so. Therefore by simple division.... you only have 2.4 ISDs..... LoL.... Have fun with them :)

Anyway.... Do you understand my basic point? The reason the Vong were able to attack defenseless planets and teh Rebels could 'slip under the hammer' was because the Empire could not be everywhere at once. If you can just say you have big sector fleets at every system, plus your roving fleets, how will the Rebels or Vong attack you without similar fleets?

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, the map doesn't reflect every planet that exists, just so you know.

And it is a canonical SW fact that Sector Fleets had 24 ISD craft.

Anything else would not be acceptable.

But I'm not saying I would pull imaginary fleets out of thin air. The Empire has done a good job of accounting itself.

I would also note that the Fleets do not patrol SYSTEMS. Typically, if a Star Destroyer was even in a system, there would only be one.

Sector Fleets cannot patrol and watch over the entire sector effectely. I don't pretend that they do. Rather, they either stay at the Sector HQ, or patrol the sector perodically.

16. CaptKieranFlar

Dec 14, 2001
    *shrugs* hey, I am just trying to make a point on the ship issue...

Would be fun to see you try to defend 200 systems with 2.4 ISDs

or

1,000,000 systems with 12,000 ISDs

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Just because the system's aren't on the map, doesn't mean they aren't there.

So, what I'm say is this: We have 24 ISD Sector Fleets, but you won't find 24 ISDs on most systems. Unless its a shipyard of Sector HQ, you can expect to find two, or, or no ISDs.

Of course, I expect that no body attacks will 50 Mon Cal or YV Heavy Cruisers, either. Unless it is a major battle, that is.

18. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    What ever happens, happens. I have PM WildWookie on the three most important events thus far: Galactic Alliance is no more, Changes in WOTGII, and New Rules (WOTGII).

19. CaptKieranFlar

Dec 14, 2001
    WHERE THE HECK AM I GOING TO GET 50 MON CALS FROM?

LoL yeah I know what you mean. Hopefully the Rebels will try to be realistic as well.

But this will hopefully allow smaller attacks to become more prominant. Remember the Rebs have to defend themselves too.

PLUS now I can try launching fighter attacks realistically. Anyone up for using XWA to decide these fighter battles?

20. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    We need a shipcap or something like that. Otherwise, the strategy of outnumbering one's enemy becomes the only strategy you ever see. And what you get is this enormous inflation of fleets to ridiculus proportions, and the winner simply becomes the person who can come up with the highest number, not the best tactician.

Good point, that's the way it is in Rebellion actually, which kinda sucks since I need 50 ships to beat their 30 ISD's.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    You don't need 50 ships. Look at Kieran's forces. The Morians have little in comparison with even a single Sector Fleet, but they could probably slip in through a few planets, steal some stuff, and go home without anyone noticing.

Oh, and the Emperor is also skilled in XWA. Though... using it is a bit impractical, due to connection issues. The skirmish editor is the game is also quite crappy. We'd need to make things on AlliED, but that takes forever...

22. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Fighter battles we could do with XWA, but you'd need a cable modem or DSL to actually enjoy yourself. :D Kieran kicks it though, watch out, he's one tough cookie. I can kill him maybe 5 times outta his 26 kills on me. :p

23. CaptKieranFlar

Dec 14, 2001
    *looks around innocently*

What.... just because my ranking is Jedi 1st class in the game....

24. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    How long did it take you to get that rank?

25. CaptKieranFlar

Dec 14, 2001
    bout a month. the key is to play players that have Jedi rankings or higher. then you get a heck of alot more points for each time you kill them. Even the score is 30 them, 10 you, your 10 are worth more because you are a weaker player killing a more experianced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.