main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[WOTR] Crazy idea: Build a OTC cardback for display at WOTR with the X-Wing?

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Obey Wann, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Some of you might've seen the life-size cardback displays at C2, or at SDCC or other major cons. Tonight, I saw a report on TFN about the OTC cardbacks, and I thought how cool it might be to build a RMFF-OTC cardback to go with the X-Wing at the Wings over the Rockies Museum.

[image=http://www.rebelscum.com/OTC/otc0416stormtroopercard.jpg]

[image=http://www.rebelscum.com/OTC/otc0405lukepilotcard.jpg]

Now I have no idea what LFL would think about this, with copyright issues and whatnot, but being the official caretakers of the X-Wing, maybe we could pull if off. It could be an interesting draw at WOTR as well, seeing how many people get their pics taken in these cardbacks at cons and whatnot.

LMK what you think...

.....it's crazy, but could be fun. [face_devil]

2. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    I like that idea, Bill. My only concern would be the location of the bird upon its' return to WOTR, since a true 'cardback' might obstruct sight-lines in the museum.

Maybe we could modify it to be more like a frame, as opposed to a background?

Me likey though.

3. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    Kinda like a giant package for a toy X-Wing, you mean, Stacy?

I like the cardback idea, but it takes up a lot of visual real estate...and the museum's kinda crowded as it is -- they might not have a lot of things, but the things they have are REALLY big. :)

4. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001
    When I spoke with WOTR before about a backdrop, they were all for a 8' high hanger scene semi-circling the ship. They also pointed to the one WWII bird that has the crew manniquins working on it. They thought that would be great for the X-Wing display.

5. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    So if we're going to do a display backdrop, then a cardback could go in either to the side, or behind the 8' backdrop, right?

So do we want to contact LFL about doing a cardback? Maybe they could give us details about the ones they are using/have used???

Also, regarding the backdrop, do we want to do a floor for it as well, somewhat similar to the pics from SDCC this year? It looked like a Bespin sort of flooring, but was really cool. :D

I think this would be absolutely fantastic for WOTR, and if we do a "RMFF W-Wing" cardback, we could put the website on it and get some fantastic advertising. [face_devil]

6. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001
    The thing WOTR was not budgin' on was the original white, standard paper placards, that are required by law. We have been OK'ed to make a seperate large easel-type placard with pertinents on the RMFF, the 501st, a detailed history of the X-Wing, ect. Also, we have been OK'ed to use mannequins to make the scene more real, and we have been given a somewhat 'greenlight' on making a rotating pedestal for the bird. All of this would have to be OK'ed by LFL, but I had mentioned cockpit simulations, backlit engines, soundtracks, ect. to Mary Franklin in the beginning, and she didn't balk at any of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.