main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Would a kid who has never seen the previous movies be able to follow TFA?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by slavomalbo, Dec 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slavomalbo

slavomalbo Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2015
    My little sister is too young to have seen any of the prior movies but is into Star Wars from the Star Wars Rebels TV series and therefore wants to see The Force Awakens. Would she be able to follow the plot of the new movie?

2. Ian passman

Ian passman Jedi Master star 2

Mar 16, 2013
    Sure. I'm taking my niece to see it today. I couldn't get her into the classic trilogy because of its dated look, but I'm pretty sure that in this post-YA adaption of everything ever society, she'll enjoy this movie quite a bit. I'll let you know how it turns out.

3. Force22

Force22 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013
    The movie is self contained. It even explains things, for instance, when Han Solo appears Rey and Finn's prior knowledge about Han works as a brief exposition on the character.

Consider also that kids pick up Star Wars through popular culture. My son is 7 and he knows all major plot details from the 6 movies without having watched most of them. One year he asked to be Boba Fett for Halloween without ever having watched ESB or ROTJ. He even knows some nasty details from ROTS even though that's not a movie I'd allow him to watch . (Now I guess I would, considering he knows all about the worst parts).

So that also goes for the dark stuff in TFA.

SlashMan, Jo Lucas and Hoth Chocolate like this.
  4. jainasky

jainasky Jedi Master star 1

Jun 7, 2010
    My mom went with me and she's never seen any of the others, she followed it and liked the movie.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  5. Zev.Love.X

Zev.Love.X Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2015
    Yup. With no problems

6. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    I mean, it's pretty much ANH, so yeah.

7. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Interesting. I figured adults seem to be more scrutinizing of that sort of thing.

8. Ian passman

Mar 16, 2013
    Nope! She took one look at A new Hope and said "This looks old." Broke her beloved Uncle's heart.

9. slavomalbo

slavomalbo Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2015
    Thanks, we'll probably go see it tomorrow.
    If she likes it maybe I'll finally show her the original trilogy.

10. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015

She probably would like it. Has she seen the Clone Wars? If so, Attack of the Clones might be next since The Phantom Menace might be to slow for her, same with A New Hope. I obviously would hold on Revenge of the Sith but if course, that depends on how old she is. I saw it at 8 and it was minor trauma due to the amount of overwhelming darkness and death. Still loved it though:D

11. AllAboutThatMace

AllAboutThatMace Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 2, 2014
    Yes. Its like A New Hope--it makes vague references to events from the past that aren't explained because they aren't directly relevant to the plot, but the actual characters and core of the story are very easy to understand

12. Force22

Force22 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013

Don't think you're the only one. My son likes the Battle of Hoth and he wanted a film where the bad guys win.
    I was like: "Great, I know the perfect film for you!"
    I put ESB on. He can't stand 5 minutes. Okay, whatever.
    And he watches old movies. He asked me to watch Jaws and Predator and enjoyed them both. He's also seen the classic Superman. (Guys, don't think I'm a crazy mother, for some reason those things get absorved in popular culture. He knew more about Jaws than I, who had never watched it, did). Maybe he doesn't want me to push a movie on him. If he decides he wants to watch it he watches it. That might be part of the issue.

13. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't know how old this kid is, but when I was four I didn't quite get what was happening in TESB but I had the toys, the read-along book and liked the action. I don't remember being inquisitive.

14. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    You'd be surprised at how inquisitive kid's today are. In some ways it's sort of sad, they seem to abandon childhood glee earlier, but on the other hand it's nice to see them putting their much fresher minds to good use.

15. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    It's got an obvious villain and it's got the obvious good guys and the story is fast-paced and fun. I'm sure a young child would enjoy watching this movie.

16. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015

This is Bob Iger's nightmare fuel.

17. Matthew_Wolverine

Matthew_Wolverine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    She probably could, but why not show her the original trilogy on DVD first? If she's too young for those, she'd too young for this one too.

18. Matthew_Wolverine

Matthew_Wolverine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2002

If he lets her watch Revenge of the Sith, that might be her nightmare fuel.

I love it, but it may not be a good idea to show it to little kids. (or younglings)

19. Ian passman

Mar 16, 2013
    All right just got back from the matinee and a late lunch: My ten year old niece LOVED THIS FLICK. Frickin' loved it. Clapped like a goon when Rey pulled the saber away from Ren, and now she wants to be a Jedi. Mission accomplished.

-Jedi Joe-, Force22 and Darth_Corvus like this.
  20. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    It is probably more enjoyable if you have seen the OT, but the movie explains what you really need to know to make sense of things.

Hoth Chocolate likes this.
  21. The Grace of the Force

The Grace of the Force Jedi Padawan

Dec 18, 2015
    Absolutely. The nice thing about having seen the other films is that you know the chemistry between the OG characters but since she's so young she probably wouldn't have the nostalgic feeling that older viewers may have. I think that each trilogy set stands on their own and can exist and make sense without seeing others.

22. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It's kind of weird how ANH doesn't really hold up that good anymore.
    I've tried watching it with several friends but they all seem disinterested because of the incredibly slow first act, I swear I haven't gotten of Tatooine with even one of my friends.

23. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    Is that your opinion too or are you just referring to theirs? I've managed to maintain my feelings and appreciation of it and watch it more than the others. I've been wanting to watch it more since seeing The Force Awakens.

24. hardcorehuffy

hardcorehuffy Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2015
    i made my 12yo little brother start watching all the previous star wars films before i'd take him to see tfa. but once i saw it, i was ok with him seeing it without seeing all the previous 6. but the showing i wanted to take him to was sold out, so he'll have seen all of star wars before going into tfa. which i think is good, cause i asked him what he knows about han solo, luke skywalker, and princess leia, and he doesn't get why they're so important. but he just started a new hope today, so in a few days he should be through the OT and get it.

25. magmd

magmd Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2003
    Yes, no problem. Most of the gripes that can be found on this forum about the movie is because we have seen, read, memorized, and invested in the previous movies TOO MUCH. I think anyone watching TFA as their first SW movie will be able to follow it--and the majority will love it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.