main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would a Star Wars minitaures game float?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Darth Ludicrous, Apr 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    With the popularity of such gmaes as MageKnight and Chainmail on the rise and the upcoming release of Marvel's Hero Clix, do you think a Star Wars Miniature Skirmish game might be possible and survive?

2. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    Most miniatures sink when placed in liquids.

I think the success of such a game, after the initial surge of interest, would depend on its playability. If the game plays as badly as chainmail (a dumbed down version of D&D 3rd ed. combat), it is likely that many would not invest. However if the miniatures are well sculpted it might have some value to collectors. A problem with such a game is that it would have to satisfy the people that play such games as well as Star Wars fans.

3. Go-Get Beer

Go-Get Beer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 11, 2000
    I thought there already was a SW miniature game. It doesn't fare very well, at least here. I think I've seen it only once or twice.

4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I'd LOVE to see something like that, if for no other reason that I could finally use miniatures when running my games. Bonus if they used ships as well...

5. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    Go-Get Beer, yeah WEG had one.

6. BoB

BoB Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    I know that WEG had the game but I can only recall ever seeing the book on how to play and a handful of figures. It would be pretty hard to have a game when all you can find is 6 rebel troopers to play with.

7. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    WOTC has released some miniatures for use with the RPG. They are not very impressive though.

8. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
  9. ObiWan6986

ObiWan6986 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 1, 2002
    You mean kinda like Warhammer but Republic vs. Empire? Hell yea, I'd play it. But I doubt it would last.

10. psychokillermike

psychokillermike Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2002
    I think it would work if the game mechanics worked. I would love to see one. I love the RPG's but some times you want more.

11. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    I'm not sure how long it'd last but I'd play! Right now I'm working on some minis for the Battle of Geonosis for Ep 2 - I'm building Troopers from LotR minis and I have a JEdi to lead them from the actual WotC minis. The tought part's gonna be the AT-TE. :D

12. ObiWan6986

ObiWan6986 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 1, 2002
    And the Reek.

13. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    At least that thing's organic, the AT-TE is all angular.

14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    If you want to use ships, try and get Galoob Micro Machines.
    WEG minis might still be available. They look great too, esp when painted. Check this site out:
    www.geocities.com/rob_jedi

The WotC ones were poorly sculpted. The Scoundrel was OK, same for the Rodian Scoundrel. But they weren't to size with the WEG ones. :(

Personally, though, I've always used Micro Machines for RPG. As for a miniatures game, I doubt it would float. Consider the difference between Age of Empires II and Galactic Battlegrounds. Same game, different pictures. Now apply that to Warhammer 40K and Star Wars...

E_S

15. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    I was thinking games claoser akin to Chainmail, MageKnight, and HeroClix.

16. John of the collective

John of the collective Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 1998
    Actually BoB, if you remember, back in the Old days WEG put out a ton of Miniatures. They had like $20 boxed sets for a long time. The boxed setts typically had unique characters (I had the ESB set with General Veers) Then they revamped the line and Sold Blister packs which had like three stormtroopers per pack and such. Plus, the old Metal Miniature toys that Kenner had are only a slightly bigger scale, so they can be used.

17. Deadline247

Deadline247 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2002
    If it was done in the style of the newer, easier, self-contained miniature games (like Mage Knight and Marvel HeroClix), then I think it would fly.

These new type of minitature games (all made by WizKids)are sort of a combination of miniature and collectible card games. They are not hard to learn and don't take up a lot of time to play (usually about an hour).

Maybe Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast will buy out WizKids. Then you can bet they would put out a Star Wars game.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah, ok, there are 50 different characters, give or take, in HeroClix - 3 levels of experience and a few uniques, right. How do you do that in Star Wars? What special powers does Han have? And who's not going to simply make up a force of Jedi? Star Wars lacks that dimension that Marvel and DC have. Also, Chainmail hasn't been that popular.

E_S

19. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    That is because Chainmail sucks.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, I've heard it does!

E_S

:D

Thread Status: