main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would a Star Wars T.V. show even work?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by flipmanburn, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flipmanburn

flipmanburn Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2005
    With all the recent rumors that the STAR WARS eu might be developed into a T.V. show. I only could see this working if they do things the right way. Here is a few ideas...

1. Make sure they get writers that know and love the STAR WARS eu.

2. Don't have a episode once a week, have one once a month. It will make it more of a event each time a new episode is released.

3. Make it years before TPM, or years after ROTJ.

4. Have exciting cliffhanger stories with characters the fans will actully care about.

5. DON'T DUMB IT DOWN AND TURN IT INTO STAR TREK!

These a just a few ideas. I bet there is many more good ideas the fans have that could turn the STAR WARS T.V. SHOW idea into something special. Let me hear some. MAY THE SITH BE WITH YOU!

2. ROTS_Obi1

ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    There has already been Star Wars T.V. shows and one won an emmy. So yes a Star Wars T.v. show did work.

3. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003

Um, no. Fanboy writers lead to disasters like Star Trek: Nemesis. (shudder)

Get real writers that know what they're doing.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>2. Don't have a episode once a week, have one once a month. It will make it more of a event each time a new episode is released.<<

That would kill the show- as the audience would never build up having to wait so long for an episode (not to mention that a season would take 2 years at that rate)- hell, many shows lose their audience wil 3 or 4 week delays as it is.

5. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    That would kill the show- as the audience would never build up having to wait so long for an episode (not to mention that a season would take 2 years at that rate)- hell, many shows lose their audience wil 3 or 4 week delays as it is.

I agree. If there was one episode per month, people would forget about the show, and it would get cancelled.

6. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003

Not Kevin J Anderson, and not Timothy Zahn. Those guys just peddle the OT in both dialogue and plot.

However, some of the Dark Horse comic writers are brilliant. John Ostrander and Randy Stradely have written many of the REPUBLIC and EMPIRE comics, which are very very good. These would be my dream writers.

2. Don't have a episode once a week, have one once a month. It will make it more of a event each time a new episode is released.

Weekly works best for obvious reasons - but the idea is that they're all made well before so the quality shouldn't drop.

3. Make it years before TPM, or years after ROTJ.

News is that it takes between ROTS and ANH. IMO the only time you could really set it. Star Wars is really synonymous with the battle of good and evil - and that takes place during the reign of the Empire. To set a tv show before and after the Empire would be a gross error as the potential for drama is lessened in the absence of conflict. Sure you create conflict but that would mess with the PT continuity if you set it before, and would just ape Star Trek and those Vongs if created after ROTJ.

4. Have exciting cliffhanger stories with characters the fans will actully care about.

Well my hope is an anthology series, but cliffhangers can be a great way of increasing excitement and anticipation (first season of ALIAS was a great example) if a normal series was made.

5. DON'T DUMB IT DOWN AND TURN IT INTO STAR TREK!

Umm... Star Trek is a lot cleverer than Star Wars (particularly the PT). I think it's more a demand of... 'Smarten it up a bit and make me think a bit more please and if you really care about my opinion, turn it into Battlestar Galactica!'

7. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Umm... Star Trek is a lot cleverer than Star Wars (particularly the PT). I think it's more a demand of... 'Smarten it up a bit and make me think a bit more please and if you really care about my opinion, turn it into Battlestar Galactica!'

An intersting opinion.
    I totally disagree with everything you said, but interesting.

I used to think Trek was as dumbed down as you could get, then I saw the new BSG. That show sucks so hard it should be called Blackhole Galactica.

While GL is doing everything he can to make the OT more compliant with hampster IQed viewers, it's still far beyond the level of trek.

8. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Yes, I think they can pull this off. At least for a couple of seasons. If we can get 3 to 5 years of good episodes. That will be fine with me. What I am hoping for in the future, is the branching of different eras in animation form or live action. Heck, maybe even both.

9. Darth-Leahmic

Darth-Leahmic Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2005
    I still think that the Vong era would have been perfect to make a series out of.

The NJO series did well.

So diehard SW fans will want to see it and casual fans would want to because I remember one day I was telling my friends about the concept of the Vong and they all became interested.

10. Darth-Wyrm

Darth-Wyrm Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2005
    It's unlikely that the TV shows will have anything to do with the EU whatsoever. It would just alienate the casual SW fans. People don't like to know that they've already missed out on pertinent info by the first episode. And since when has GL ever used EU stuff in anything new he's done?

Instead, the only thing that audiences will have needed to see is the SW movies...and probably not even the original trilogy either. I bet just having seen the I, II and III will be enough.

11. Darth-Leahmic

Feb 21, 2005
    "It's unlikely that the TV shows will have anything to do with the EU whatsoever. It would just alienate the casual SW fans.

I don't think this rings true to most properties though.

When ANH was released it was EPIV, it gave you a short summery of what was going on and then boom, next thing you know Threepio is running along side of R2 in a blockade runner that is being pursued by a Star Destroyer.

They would do the same thing, give a short summery and then just start you out in the beggining of Vector Prime.

Also, some Casual fans don't know what is going on half the time, they know a few of the obvious things like who won what and whatnot, but if you are a casual fan, you don't really need all the details and most could do without.

12. Darth-Wyrm

Apr 30, 2005
    I just can't see it happening. Like I said, GL likes to start with his own thing and not link it to EU.

Another reason that it won't have anything to do with that part of EU is that I'm willing to bet that the show takes place right after E3. He'll use the popularity of E3 as a springboard for the show, and have events take place soon after the movie.

I don't think your idea is bad, I just don't think that's the approach he'll take. E3 is on his mind...that's where he's at in terms of SW. I doubt he'll leap that far into the future.

GL's not going to make a show that basically takes place in a time he didn't create. He wants to play in his own sandbox.

13. JSnyder

JSnyder Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2005
    >>It's unlikely that the TV shows will have anything to do with the EU whatsoever. It would just alienate the casual SW fans.<<
    Common sense states this is true.
    My own hope is that it is "truly deeply" true.

Even though I follow very very little of the EU, I find it interesting that Dark Horse comics is ending all their current Star Wars series and restructuring a relaunch.

(To me) EU is like trekkers squabbling over stardate systems.

On the Dark Horse message boards, a comment was made from a Dark Horse guy that the reins might finally be taken off. By reins, the implication (to me) is the confinement of EU adherence.

Here is the direct "reins" quote:
    "Its good to hear most of you are optimistic about everything getting scrubbed and replaced. I've read one of the pitches that isn't the one I'm working on but from the two new stories I know about, the new series are going to be better than what we were doing before and it seems like our riegns are going to get to come off. and judging from the other title names I'm sure you'll all be thrilled with what they'll come out with.
    I had a ton of fun with this years run on tales but am more enthusiastic about the new project. trust me 2006 should be an awsome year for SW comics"

Although, earlier in the thread this was stated:
    "Who said that our "revamp" of our Star Wars line had anything to do with the release of Episode III? As a matter of fact, it has nothing to do with the film's release, and everything to do with the fact that 2006 is Dark Horse's twentieth anniversary. But thanks for asking. "

http://www.darkhorse.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=7200&sid=4e6ce59cdc873cfd50cc41d38cd6effb

14. Darth-Wyrm

Apr 30, 2005
    Thanks for the quotes from DH.

That could actually bolster my argument. If GL planned to do anything post-ROTJ, he'd keep those restrictions as to what EU is allowed to cover. But this info could point to the fact that GL is done with post-ROTJ and thus feels no need to keep restrictions on EU.

The whole point of the restrictions in the past was because GL didn't want someone else covering an era that he might cover himself. Hence, the Clone Wars was completely off-limits. Now, GL feels like he's not going to venture into post-ROTJ stuff, so he's letting others do what they want.

I fully expect the tv shows to cover the period after E3.

15. JSnyder

Apr 25, 2005
    Devil's-advocate counterpoint:
    Or one series could cover the post ep3 period and the other series post ep6 with plans on invalidating the entire EU -- leaving dark horse (novels also?) to do whatever it feels like with the alternate SW universe. Everyone gets what they want.

16. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    None of my friends liked NJO, nor did I. The series was to Trek-y, not SW anymore.

I am glad this won't be in the series.
    I would love to see a spinoff set after ROTJ, wipe out most of the EU crap, which was written there.

17. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    The only thing that worries me is that this new clone war animated show will have a lot to live up to. Since GL's company is doing it, they are going to be in some sort of pressure to come out with some award winning stuff. GT 2 hours and some minutes were very good. Yeah, fanboys and die-hard eu enthusiats blasted it, but the overall majority loved the show. Heck, the critics even agreed giving it an emmy award and a annie award nomination. Now that I think about it, this has been the only prequel related material to really garner an award. Everything else has been blasted to simtherines. I'm going to like the show regardless, becuase it will expand more on the war, and we will get the chance to see some very exciting stuff, but what if it dosen't get an award like the GT ones did? Will that mean that people will bash it down as not being that good like GT's?

18. flipmanburn

Apr 6, 2005
    Lots of good ideas and opinions guys. First off I would have to say THE CLONE WARS show is the one of the best things to happen to the STAR WARS universe in a long time. If they paced the action like that show, with more dialog, it would be a really good series.

As far as the setting, I would really like to see the series based years before TPM. The storylines in the KOTOR series are really good, and those are based a 1000 years before TPM. I think it could open up alot of new and interesting things for the STAR WARS universe. New characters, new settings, new plotlines, and so on.

Finally, I have a feeling GL wont have much to do with series, other than his named slapped on it as Ex. producer. He might flesh out the setting, some of the characters and time period, but other than that he'll most likely leave it up to the writers and his effects house to call the shots.

KEEP THE COMMENTS AND IDEAS COMING. I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR MORE ON THIS.

19. Darth-Wyrm

Apr 30, 2005
    Going back and reading the reports from Celebration III, it seems like it's quite clear which era the Live Action TV show will take place:

"He also commented on the live action future as well. He said that the whole project was probably about 2 years out, but that they wanted to get a full season of scripts written before production would start (like they did on Young Indiana Jones). He also said that the series would take place between Episodes 3 and 4."

The second report seems to confirm as well:

"They are looking into the Star Wars TV series as you know.. he said it will be based between episodes 3 & 4 and that there will be character(s) from the OT in it.. (in a kind of well theres not going to be.... well ..wait...pauses.. thinks....yeah there is going to be way). They will need to have the first years scripts written out like the young indiana jones scripts were."

So it seems pretty clear to me that EU will have nothing to do with it. The live-action show will take place after E3, and I think it will have to do with Jedi trying to survive, and once in a while, a few characters we recognize will appear, but it's being too hopeful to expect major characters to play major roles.

20. flipmanburn

Apr 6, 2005
    Well if thats the case DARTH-WYRM, then hopefully GL will deicide to add characters we know and love. I have a feeling if it is based after ROTS, then VADER will have some role in it. Because it'll be based in the empire era, and how can you have the empire without VADER?

But I will admit, having the TV series based between ROTS and ANH, is a good idea. Hopefully it'll work.

21. Sapno Krei

Sapno Krei Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 23, 1999
    There is a good chance that a TV series could dilute the STAR WARS universe into something we barely recognize, especially if it runs way past its prime (STAR TREK, anyone?). But, it could also expand the universe and gather a following of fans unlike anything that we've seen thus far. Imagine the diversity of costumes and characters that we'd see at the next convention!

Whether or not a TV series should be made really depends on whether we fans want to see the saga's filmed adventures end abruptly right here, or continue on in another form.

I personally don't think I could take another 16 year stretch like we had between EPISODE VI and EPISODE I. Sure, they say absence makes the heart grow fonder, but we fans have our limits!

The timeframe for the new shows (between III and IV, the rise of the Empire) is ripe with great possibilities, unlike the DROIDS and EWOKS cartoons, which did not have the benefit of a major conflict for viewers to get involved with.

So, George Lucas, bring on the TV show, and make it a GREAT one, please! (ie. Be involved, but not TOO involved -- good directors, not to mention good stories, need room to breathe).

22. Darth-Wyrm

Apr 30, 2005
    I agree that it would only be better if Vader were in the show, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Maybe they'll have him make appearances once in a while, but I don't expect him to be a consistent character. Could they get JEJ to do his voice again? Would it fall under their budget? I know I'd love to see it though.

"Be involved, but not TOO involved -- good directors, not to mention good stories, need room to breathe."

Couldn't have said it better myself!

23. Darth-Leahmic

Feb 21, 2005
    I personally don't think I could take another 16 year stretch like we had between EPISODE VI and EPISODE I. Sure, they say absence makes the heart grow fonder, but we fans have our limits!

Yeah, especially when EPI doesn't meet expectations, it kinda breaks your heart.

But I knew when the series was going to take place, but I was a bit disappointed that GL doesn't want to touch on the EU as much, especially when there are things that are too good to be left alone. Like the Thrawn Trilogy or like the NJO and the Vong have some really exciting events that people would love to see.

Books usually make into a good movie, so why not translate that into a show?

I also know that GL is afraid to go into the EU...that is the problem to me. The Clone Wars and the Galactic Civil War has been touched on on so many different areas. Games, shows, movies and of course books.

While one of the most appreciated series in SW (Thrawn) has not been touched upon. I think it is about that time to move on from both the Clone Wars and the GCW, because there is only so far you can go before people get weary and tired of it.

24. JSnyder

Apr 25, 2005
    >> I also know that GL is afraid to go into the EU...that is the problem to me.<<
    Well, the novelization for ep3 wasn't afraid.
    I stopped by borders and took a deeper look.
    There are so many EU references in there it made me cringe.

Don't get me wrong, a few of the EU books are fun reads.
    The early Solo series by Daley were fun. Splinter was fun for the most part (had a boring middle section with the coway, but eh). The newer books - not so much. Haven't picked up many of those, they just seemed like a frat circle-jerk after awhile.

25. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I used to think Trek was as dumbed down as you could get, then I saw the new BSG. That show sucks so hard it should be called Blackhole Galactica.

I'm no Star Trek fan, but I have sampled a decent number of episodes from all the series. They're certainly not dumbed down, and it's baffling that you would think so. Can you think of any particular episodes when you say this? Are you referring to Enterprise?

Like all TV series, there are always episodes that are sub-par. But most of the time viewers work through them because they are there for the start.

Which episodes of the new BSG have you seen so far? Could you give a brief overview of why it sucks?

As for dumbed down SciFi shows... Stargate SG-1 seems to have gone up and down over the years. I love the show, well most of them, but it's not rocket science. And speaking of science, Star Wars has never had any attempt at science. Whilst a fair amount of Star Trek has some foundation in science - that's why I would never consider the latter to be more dumbed down. Unless you're thinking Enterprise is Star Trek.

While GL is doing everything he can to make the OT more compliant with hampster IQed viewers, it's still far beyond the level of trek.

The OT? Was that a typo?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.