PT Would anakin and padme have fallen in love if they never met on Tattoine?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Lord Tyrannus, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. Lord Tyrannus Jedi Master

star 4
    If anakin and padme never met each other on Tattoine, would they still fall in love later on, and have luke and leia? Was it a chance occurrence that they met?
  2. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    Pretty much any meeting anyone has is a "chance meeting." I'm not sure what you're asking.

They would not have fallen in love if they had never met, no, that's pretty much impossible, unless they met over the Holonet and you believe that it's possible to fall in love that way (I do, but only to a point).

Whether they might have met somewhere else later on is anyone's guess. It's certainly possible, as Padme was a Senator and had an apartment on Coruscant, and Anakin was in the Jedi Temple there.
  3. Lord Tyrannus Jedi Master

star 4
    What I meant by chance occurence is that, they met because obi wan, qui gon, stopped on Tattoine with the trade federation battle in the beggining. If not for that, Anakin would never become darth vader, or leave Tattoine, luke and leia never would exist, etc.
  4. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    Probably not, but I'm still not sure what your question is.

Yes, it was completely random that Padme's ship landed on Tatooine with a broken hyperdrive. If the hyperdrive hadn't been broken in the first place, they wouldn't have landed on Tatooine. If there had been a closer planet, they wouldn't have landed on Tatooine. If Qui-Gon thought another shop had the parts they needed, they would not have gone into Watto's shop.

But where are you going with all these "what if" scenarios? Are you asking if Anakin and Padme were "destined" to meet? Nope, it just happened, nobody is "destined" to meet.

I do believe that people make connections with each other that can't necessarily be explained; I've experienced it myself and I believe Anakin and Padme did as well, but that is very different from being "destined" to meet or be together.
  5. Lord Tyrannus Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm not nessecarily trying to ask what if questions, but more like, was a certain event in the series responsible for another event, which might be interpreted as a what if question.
  6. Lord Tyrannus Jedi Master

star 4
    The reason that Anakin fell in love with Padme in attack of the clones is because he already had a connection to her from tattoine, and they got married. Here's what I don't get though. 10 years ago, he met her for a few hours, and then he still thought about her all that time, for that long, knowing her for a short amount of time? That doesn't make any sense.
  7. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    I didn't take his line about thinking of her for that long to mean that he literally thought of her for that long. He probably did think about her once a day or so, she had that much impact on his life when she appeared in it, but I don't find anything creepy about that. If he spent a lot of time every day for the past ten years pining over her, that would be a little creepy, but that's not how I interpreted his quote.

Unfortunately there isn't much material between TPM and AOTC, and even less than I take seriously, but The Approaching Storm, which takes place right before AOTC, has no mention of Padme at all that I can remember. Anakin certainly isn't riding through the Ansion desert thinking about her. He is, however, splashing around in a fountain with Barriss Offee, both in their underwear. (Yeah, it was completely platonic.)

Also, their meeting was for more than "a few hours." Padme spent a minimum of 1-2 nights at his house on Tatooine, and then the voyage to Coruscant was overnight, given the fact that during the scene in which Padme comforts Anakin, everyone else on the ship was asleep and the lights were dim.
  8. Lord Tyrannus Jedi Master

star 4
    They knew each other for 3 days.
  9. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    Where are you getting that timeline from? Is that specified anywhere?
  10. Lord Tyrannus Jedi Master

star 4
  11. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    OK, then.

With no source material as evidence that they had only known each other three days, I maintain my theory that it was longer than three days. Lucas is intentionally vague about timing in his movies. We don't know how long hyperspace voyages took.
  12. Lord Tyrannus Jedi Master

star 4
    I think anakin knew padme for a few weeks, in TPM. It just makes more sense. It also is very good for a story if they met each other at chance. If anakin never met padme on tattoine, that would also imply that he never met the jedi, and was stuck on Tattoine forever. So, from a certain point of view, she had to arrive for him on his home planet for them to meet later on, get married, have twins.

Sure, if he met her as a bodyguard on a jedi mission to protect her, like in AOTC, but without meeting her on Tattoine when he was younger, they would have fallen in love regardless. But, she arrived on Tattoine with the very people, who, without him, he would be no Jedi. It's true, from a certain POV.
  13. Valairy Scot Force Ghost

star 5
    If he'd met her as an adult, he might not have had this "glorified" image of her from his childhood.
  14. Lord Tyrannus Jedi Master

star 4
    What glorified image of her from his childhood? What does that mean?
Moderators: Bazinga'd
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.