main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would Anakin be different if....

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by FallenKnight88, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FallenKnight88

FallenKnight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    the Jedi stopped feeding his ego?

I mean judging by the PT it's pretty apparent that Anakin knows he is special. In fact the mere fact that he believes himself to be superior is what feeds his need for more power. If the Jedi kept all of this hoopla about the prophecy on the DL, would he had turned? What fuels his anger is his belief that Obi-wan is "holding him back" or that the Jedi are jealous, which is true (at least in regards to Obi-wan--but it's for the best of intentions) but had they not told Anakin how "gifted" he was, it likely wouldn't be an issue.

However what I'm trying to say is if the Jedi kept the entire "chosen one" prophecy behind closed doors and a secret from the boy, would he had become such a pr*ck?

2. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Anakin definitely has an ego problem. In AOTC, after Obi-Wan cuts off Zam's arm, Anakin says "Jedi business, go back to your drinks" with a real attitude. I wonder how the general population feels about Jedi. Maybe they aren't well liked?

3. ororom103

ororom103 Jedi Youngling

Aug 28, 2004
    I've been wondering about this myself. There are sooooo many things that the people did wrong to "help" Anakin along to the Dark Side. Of course, the champion of feeding his ego was Lord Sidious.

As far as the popularity of the Jedi, if you pick up the Clone Wars books, you'll see that they really aren't well liked by some...

4. Dan-akin

Dan-akin Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2005
    Anakin is an egotisic jerk, and Palpatine feeds his ego more than any of the jedi EVER could

5. FallenKnight88

FallenKnight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    Anyone ever seen "The Karate Kid Part 3"?

Ok, yeah I know...but bear w/ me for a second. The basic premise of that movie is about the dude (Daniel, I think) who is manipulated by a fierce and more agressive mentor. This guy feeds Daniel with compliments and promises of becoming a better fighter w/ his training. Daniel ate this all up and began to resent his original mentor Mr. Mijagi (see where I'm going...). It isn't until the end of the movie that Daniel realizes the bad guys true intentions and "returns to the light" by rejoining Mijagi.

What I'm trying to say is that as good a manipulator Palpatine was, I believe that had the Jedi NOT fed Anakin's ego AT ALL...Anakin may had seen through Palpatines lies and remained a Jedi.

6. jedimaster11

jedimaster11 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 23, 2002
    NO. You can't pin this on the Jedi...They were careful with him, even though he could have been "the chosen one". All the "chosen one" talk for the most part was about him in third person amongst the council members, not directly to him. It's all his private talks with Palpatine, manipulating him: "you will be the most powerful Jedi..more powerful than even Master Yoda"; telling him it was ok to kill Dooku out of revenge; telling him it would be foolish for the Jedi not to send himto take out Grevious...the kid grew up with the desire for power, to be the best, etc. All very un-Jedi like traits that the Jedi tried to coach him out of, but Palpatine kept feeding him. Yoda tells him to let go of what he fears losing, etc..Palpatine promises him "unlimited power!!!" and the ability to cling onto what he fears losing. Anakin made a pact with the devil himself..the only thing that would have made him different would have been to leave his butt on Tatooine in the first place. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.